You guys are doing it wrong

Deerlove

Long Time Member

Screenshot_20240215-123913_Messages.jpg

What’s wrong with putting a horse halter on it. I know guys that have used them for years. Same for deer.

If your half way cleaver you can make one up out of single piece of rope. Try it up around the back of the head, leave the short end about 18” long, with the long end throw a half hitch around its nose, with the short end, pull the half hitch up to the center of the face and tie it up so it won’t come off and head for the barn.

09F0ED5A-1A83-44D3-B9FE-2B2BBA7F0667.jpeg

I actual prefer to back up to them with a pickup. 😁 Just sharing a few alternatives I’ve seen or used when circumstances called for it.

My more memorable innovative way to haul elk out was back about 40 years ago. Nine of us kill 6 or 7 yearlying bulls on the Fish Lake Unit. They were all about 500 yard down off the face of the Boobe Hole, “big opening”. We didn’t have any horses. 🤪

After huffing and puffing, attempting to haul them all out we came up with a “better way”

Four of us, rolled the elk onto its back, we each cut a suit case type handle into hide on the front shoulders and the rear hind quarters. Two guys went ahead and cleared the deadfall. The four of us just picked them up by the handles cut into the hide and march up the mountain. Numerous trip but in a couple of hours and we had it done.

muley_73 posted this old blurry picture on a different thread a while back. He was ten that years. He and I slept under the stars, with a herd of bulls that night……. night he’ll never for get. 😁

9B0707B1-C7BE-4E48-8C2F-D21C0F9380D9.jpeg

I actual prefer to back up to them with a pickup. 😁 Just sharing a few alternatives I’ve seen or used when circumstances called for it.

My more memorable innovative way to haul elk out was back about 40 years ago. Nine of us kill 6 or 7 yearlying bulls on the Fish Lake Unit. They were all about 500 yard down off the face of the Boobe Hole, “big opening”. We didn’t have any horses. 🤪

After huffing and puffing, attempting to haul them all out we came up with a “better way”

Four of us, rolled the elk onto its back, we each cut a suit case type handle into hide on the front shoulders and the rear hind quarters. Two guys went ahead and cleared the deadfall. The four of us just picked them up by the handles cut into the hide and march up the mountain. Numerous trip but in a couple of hours and we had it done.

muley_73 posted this old blurry picture on a different thread a while back. He was ten that years. He and I slept under the stars, with a herd of bulls that night……. night he’ll never for get. 😁

View attachment 137241
Very cool story! Thanks for sharing!

I like to use the "Six Pack Carry'. Keep a cold six pack in a cooler in your truck. After you kill your elk, hike out to the truck, wave the 6 pack at any passing trucks. They'll stop, drag out your elk, and you pay them with the Six Pack. Easy🤣

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom