B

B_BOP_A_LU_LU

GUILTY?

Or?

NOT GUILTY?

Well I'll go first!

I'm Guilty!

Like I mentioned in Daxters Thread!

We had a local Guy that worked for the USFS forever that passed away a few years ago that has his name in more Tree's than anybody I know of!

We see his name in Tree's every year & we think about him!

He never went to Jail for it!

One Hell of a Guy that will never be forgotten or replaced!

---------------------------------------------------------

A few years back while back in about 15 miles or so on HorseBack I snuck up on a Forest Service Employee that was quite an Artist!

You don't see many Carvings in a Blazed pine Tree!

The Art work was Awesome!

Wished I'd of had a Camera that very day!

Beefy,Feleno,never_catch & Wisz woulda been Proud!:D

For GAWDS Sakes Guys,We Got Kids on this Site,Some of them are 65 years Old!:D

I don't care if they're big or small!
If they throw lead I like em all!
:p

LAST EDITED ON Apr-19-11 AT 05:50PM (MST)[p]Who isn't guilty of putting their initials in a tree somewhere? I did the second time I went to COLO back in '78 and even found a tree with ..gee, I even seen where Eelgrass' dad mark his sons name in one back in 1919 as it said; "Little Turtle" Eureka, CA My baby boy...PAPA

Brian
http://i25.tinypic.com/fxbjgy.jpg[/IMG]

Not guilty and never will be for something that is illegal unless it's on your own property. I guess it's just my LE career coming out, LOL!!!

So TOPGUN?

You've never upon ever broke any kind of Law not even once in your entire life?

Hey Bessy, we know where a whole damn "family tree" is on the Dutton that almost got made into firewood!! ;-)

Yes We do PUNK!

LAST EDITED ON Apr-19-11 AT 07:04PM (MST)[p]I think this topic is going to become somewhat of a timeline. The older you are the more probability you have carved not only your own name, but probably a few girlfriend's names as well. Yes, I have my name on quite a few ridges but I'd probably be hard pressed to find them today. Maybe some day I'll bump into one, but I'd have to head down to my old stomping grounds to do it.

So B BOP---I see you have nothing else to do again tonight than try and get something started by putting words in somebody's mouth that wasn't said, LOL!!! You seem to be very good at that and trying to yank people's chain to get something going! I'm no Saint, but I don't go around carving up trees or destroying other's property like you've readily admitted a number of times out on these open Forums. That is if we are to believe anything you post! Now let it be and go bother someone else with your BS!!!

Not putting words in anybodies mouth!

Simply asking:

Have you ever carved your Name/Initials in to a Tree?

Tell the Truth!

Take the 5th!

Do whatever you gotta do to,to make yourself feel good about yourself!

I posted that I'm Guilty!

I suppose several people will Lie to protect their Job?

That ain't aimed at you TOPGUN!:D

Guilty....But I see the last name "Lefler" on every other tree on the mountain I hunt!

Traditional >>>------->

The little girl will remember that tree and that moment long after Grandpa is gone.
Hopefully she'll continue the outdoor tradition and can someday bring her own kids up there and show them that tree.

I killed thousands of trees in my day. Mother Earth will be just fine.

Bess, That guy who has his name all over it isn't Davis is it...cause I see that neam all over on the south slope!

elk_horn!

No it's not!

But I have seen the Davis you're talkin about too!

No need to lie, take the 5th, or protect a job that I retired from almost 9 years ago and that WAS aimed at you B BOP. No, I've never carved a tree at any point in my life, but I have broken the speed limits by a few MPH now and then. Does that make you happy to hear that I'm a law breaker, LOL!!!

JUST CHECKIN TOPGUN!

So TOPGUN?

When you were active?

Say you seen a Guy Speeding(Breakin the Law!)

Was it OK for you to Haul Ass (Break the Law by Speeding!) to catch the Guy?

Remember TOPGUN: Two Wrongs don't make a Right,Right? (You told me that in another Thread that got Nuked,Remember?)

LAST EDITED ON Apr-19-11 AT 08:56PM (MST)[p]Don't have any idea what you mean by me "being active' and, no, I have never chased any speeders!!! That wasn't in my job description, LOL!!! Have to shut the computer down as we are in a big thunderstorm that looks like it's going to last an hour or two. Nighty night and go after someone else now dude!!!

AKA: WHILE YOU WERE WORKING/BEFORE YOU RETIRED!

I have never carved my name in a tree with my knife....it would ruin the blade, and not show up. I use a hatchet an axe, or burn it in with a torch.

Saw this on a tree once... ;-)

3433carving.jpg

I know right where that Sancho Tree is!

Well RANS!

The 17 JFP is a tool of many uses!:D

>Say you seen a Guy Speeding(Breakin
>the Law!)
>
>Was it OK for you to
>Haul Ass (Break the Law
>by Speeding!) to catch the
>Guy?

>

Lulu,
You may want to check your facts. Law Enforcement Officers are not breaking the law by speeding when it's within the scope of their duties. So it's not two wrongs...it's a guy doing his job.

If you've ever sat in a tree stand in an aspen for more than 10 hours, you've carved your name into a tree.

velvet!

I understand that!

But when He puts others in danger/Harms way just to catch a Speeder,AKA 2 wrongs,does it make it Right?

LAST EDITED ON Apr-19-11 AT 09:54PM (MST)[p] guilty Last summer my cousin sent me a pic of tree she found with signatures. She found it a few years back . It is of my mom and dad. My dad has a one of a kind name. I asked my dad about the tree he told me it was just after he was married. I did some calculating and came up with 60 years ago. My mom passed 2 years ago my dad was so excited about the tree he cried. The tree is still alive and well. One writes their name on a tree for future generations. I know of a tree with my name my grandpas my dads and my sons. I wrote my name on a tree when I was about 19 that night a bear came in to camp and climbed up the tree. The bear claws go right through my name.
Don't do it anymore but glad I did back then! Now if my grandson wants his name on the family tree so be it.

Rutnbuck

9909100_2123.jpg

Lulu,

No it doesn't. But Law Enforcement receives training that should give the officer the ability to judge whether or not the public is endangered. Risk of catching the speeder vs risk of a speeder in general. Both present risks. Hopefully the officer has enough common sense to do the job safely.

I just realized this has nothing to do with trees....I'll stop now..

NVB, LMAO

horsepoop.gif

Disclaimer:
The poster does not take any responsibility for any hurt or bad feelings. Reading threads poses inherent risks. The poster would like to remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.

I perform high country tuneups on the heads and hands of people that carve trees. LMAO

Every time I think of one of the TREE HUGGERS I think about something that happened a few years back!

A local here decided to get a Christmas Tree Permit & go up on the Mountain and cut a Tree!

There was a new Growth/Re-seeded area of Yellow Pines that were planted so thick you couldn't walk through them & they were in the 6'-8' average Height range!

Well He decides taking a Tree out of an area He figures the USFS will have to THIN real soon ain't gonna hurt anything!

Him & His kids cut the Tree!

As they are dragging it back to the Truck here comes the Forrest Ranger!

Can't remember the Technicality?

But He was Fined perty good for cutting the Tree!

The following Spring,The USFS goes in there to the Exact same spot & they cut 100's upon 100's of them very same Tree's down and they layed to Rot!

Yup,I guess it might a been a closed area for cutting Tree's that Prior Fall but according to the Guy that got the Citation the Ranger had SHINED his Badge like never before!

The USFS killed 1000's of Tree's & wasted every one of them,but OH GAWD Don't carve your name in a Tree!

Yup, The area we hunted in Idaho had Bask sheep hearders in that area since the early 1900's. We use to see their names and dates on a lot of trees. I thought it was pretty cool to see.

Government doesn't fix anything and has spent trillions proving it!!!
Let's face it...After Monday and Tuesday, even the calender says WTF!

I came across a big old monster quakie that had a guys name in it from 1856
Sheepherders up this way are somewhat artistic too. Little stick men with bent over stick women carved in a few

Usually i drive my wheeler thru the off road...trample down an acre or two of pristine brush, drive over a couple of barely 2 year old saplings. When i find a good speciman to do my carvin i first usually make sure that its good and sturdy by takin a good run at it a few times makin sure that when i hit it with my go anywhere hotrod that i'm full on the gas so she spins and digs 4 good holes. Once im satisfied that it will hold up then i dig out my 8" bladed bowie and let it have it. No sense stopping at just names and dates..heck i usually do pics of trucks, wheelers, chute planes, etc all with deer and elk running, people chaseing behind them with one hand on the handle bars, one on the gun....i can get pretty darn creative if i've been drinkin on the way in...heck it could be 10 or 15 miles thru some pretty nasty country...mans gotta keep the thirst down ya know.

On the lighter side....i may have an inital or two in a tree somewhere. Seen some pretty old ones from sheepherders im guessing.

Guilty- I carve my initials and date into the nearest tree to where I make a kill...

Lucky for all of us I hunt in Utah and don't have to carve too many trees...

"Therefore, wo be unto him that is at ease in Zion!" 2 Ne. 28: 24

Guilty. Never my name or initials, but I have carved my kids names when they have been with me. I enjoy seeing them when I'm in the hills - gives me a sense of history. My favorites in my area are the naked ladies and genitalia carved by the Mexican sheepherders that date back to the turn of the century. Those boys must have been real lonely.

Very guilty, on multiple occasions on backpack hunts. There is nothing wrong with it as far as I see. anyone that has a problem with a centuries old activity like this needs to just relax.

I chop them down first since it is easier to carve in when it is sideways.....LOL

We have places in the Sierra that look like a guest book at a funeral!

Does not seem to have harmed the trees that I can tell, many of the names are a hundred years old or better.

"whackin' a surly bartender ain't much of a crime"

TOPGUN

This reminds me of the time Bbopalulu came up to a stop sign and just slowed down looked both ways and then proceeded through the intersection. He was then pulled over by a Utah State Trooper. The officer asked Bbop, "why did you just run that stop sign? Bbop said, I slowed down what's the problem? The officer then took out his baton and started whailing on Bbop's head and asked Bbop, "would you like me STOP or just slow down? bada bing!

I have once or twice, but some wise guy drew naked women all over a road that I love to take sunday drives on during the summer.

I'll tell you who it was . . . it was that D@MN Sasquatch!

LOL! Glad you didn't photoshop one up there with "Topgun" and with that I will say good night all!!!

I have carved, and will continue to carve trees up- with tageater, and my real name- JD - and the year I was there. I'm that important!

The funniest thing I've ever seen carved, was below someone's initials....it says "you've ruined this tree by carving in it"

Those BARK carvings will last as long as the tree's natural existance is.it don't do any harm to a tree if'n you stay within the first 5" of the bark.

48696fc97cd60c01.jpg

LMAO Tag!

I'll bet Buzz & TOPGUN have already made the call!

You'll be mighty Famous Tag within the 'ANTI TREE CARVING FESTIVAL' People!:D

my hell I've held off as long as I could!!! what the hell is the difference between carving the hell out of nature and running a four wheeler all over nature? You guys are why i like to call hypocrites, and you need to think before you speak. If I ever catch someone carving up a tree, i will give them the old fashion "tune-up" LOL.

LOL greysriver!

So you're sayin it's an Eye for an Eye?:D

GEEZUS,do any of You remember any of the Hypocrite Threads!

I've mentioned it many times & every time I've mentioned it(We are all Hypocrites!)there were alot of MM'ers that couldn't handle it!

Many years ago as a 16 year old first time bow hunter, my dad found a good ambush spot and sat me down on a large fallen aspen. He then proceeded to hike up,across,and down the canyon his hike took too long so the natural thing to do was pull out my knife and start carving the tree I sat on. That required putting the bow down. I got so involved in the carving that I missed an opportuntiy to draw on the buck that my dad pushed right past me. That's the last time I remember carving my name in a tree.

Can I carve my initials in a tree on your property? Well...... that is what anyone doing it on public land is doing. They are defacing something that I co-own with them. If you have a tree on your property and want to do it, have at it!

Certainly just my opinion, but I also happen to have law and ethics on my side as well.

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

A place i went elk hunting a few years ago had a bunch of really old ones the sheep herders carved. A bunch were of naked women some of a man with a sheep. haha me and my dad thought they were funny my sister didn't share the same opinion.

I figured the "ETHICS POLICE" would rear their selfrighteous heads on here sooner or later.

Pray for us heathens!

"whackin' a surly bartender ain't much of a crime"

Guilty! Right below my Dad, Grandpa and Great Grandpa. Funny how some of the "graffiti" in some of the slot canyons in Canyonland and Zion NP are historical artifacts now.

It's always an adventure!!!

Guilty of more counts then most. Had an old relative who was a hero in my youth. He died before I reached hunting age?.I have found his mark with dates below it. 40?s through the 60?s with only a few missing years. I have a few trees with 20+ years below them. Missed a year or 2 here and there.
Had another uncle date one every year he packed salt to that salt ground. I took a picture for my Aunt
36 years if I remember right. If you're on a good glassing point and there is a flat rock close ,pick it up and look at the bottom side, I do that, and have found others. Don?t use my initials I use another ?mark? that's more important.. ?Brand? .. I'm from the West?I didn't move here and don't just visit.

found one tree(about 1/2 from rd) in southern Ut that had about 14 years worth of deer information(exp: killed 4x4 1968 killed 2 bucks here 1969 killed big buck 1972 killed 4 bucks 1984 etc)
I put a treestand up right close to that tree(that stand is still there) and each year we killed bucks there too.We damed up a little piece of water just below that stand there's a nice elk wallow there now.That tree with the stand is sandwiched between two big pines, Love that area still. I need to start hunt back in the southern unit.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".

I think we should start a new tradition??? Start carving your names into ATV's that are off road illegally!!!!

Government doesn't fix anything and has spent trillions proving it!!!
Let's face it...After Monday and Tuesday, even the calender says WTF!

LAST EDITED ON Apr-22-11 AT 05:58PM (MST)[p]What is funny about this whole deal is that while it is illegal to carve trees on USFS lands, the Forest Service is actually very interested in the documentation and protection of trees bearing arborglyphs that they deem 'historic', most particularly those made by the above mentioned Basque sheep men of the olden times...if I remember correctly, anything over 60 years is considered historic? So, in another half century or so, all the illegal carvings made today will be cherished and preserved as historical monuments! :)

I've never scratched any trees, not because I'm against it, I just ain't interested...I've done WAY too much carving in my life, and when I'm in the field, its pretty much the last thing I would want to do!

Did carve this dude out of a juniper trunk once:

2876512_card_290.jpg

2188512_card_150.jpg

Nice!

I'll bet you don't even wanna see another Tree?:D

guilty. but on anthro we got thinking we would get caught so we had them clear cut the first 5 miles from the forest fence up.....

Nah Bop, the trees are alright...I just don't wanna see any WOOD unless I've got a chainsaw, an axe, or a splitting maul in hand :)

Guilty, there's an aspen in AZ with me and wife's initials.

I went to school at Northern Arizona University School of Forestry and had several professors mention the artwork left in the trees by basque sheep herders and how they were helpful for research.

I have seen some of the dendroglyphics around the San Francisco Peaks left by the sheepherders and it is incredible. Carvings of wagons, rifles, peoples faces, and women.

I too find it interesting that graffiti that is 60 years old becomes artifact.

I have had to dig line around countless piles of cans and trash left by miners or loggers before prescribed fires because they are "architectural sites".

Interesting how if you do it now its graffiti and if someone did it 60 years ago its NATURAL HISTORY.

I personally think its really cool as long as it isnt blatently hurting a species.

Guilty and will probably be guilty some more who knows but there is some trees out there that are truly amazing and some sure have created a lot of memories especially one that I found that was my dads I never knew he ever hunted there but he's gone now and that will always be a special place to me

Guilty many times over. When I worked on a ranch in the LaSals their were many trees with all sorts of cool artwork on them from the basque sheepherders. Most of it of ladys with huge boo..s and quite detailed..

Also down in the desert carved into the sandstone rocks closer toward Monticello I have found some really old dates and names. Pretty neat. I dont remember for sure if I added my name to the list or not. I wouldnt carve in rock now but I would in a tree any time.

I am in Idaho so Utah need not fear my blade any longer.

Guilty......but had my ex-girlfriends name on their too..she carved it in there...when I came back from overseas blew it away with .300 savage after she Dear-Johned my butt....

^Ha! just seen this hiding in there...ya, of course it does, that ol dude is designed to spook the wee-folk and those otherwise frail of heart :)

say, did the Cheyenne of old have clowns? never seen one! could ya post up a picture if it ain't too much fuss?

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom