Youth goat hunt help

gabe2hunt

My 13 year old son drew an either sex youth hunt for unit 15. He has killed a doe on a previous hunt but really wants a buck. Just wondering if anyone hunting elk in 15 have seen any bucks or know of a good starting place. Please point him in the right direction his Grandpa Thomas and dad Gabriel don't have time to scout hope to find some between Quemado and AZ state line. Thanks Fellow hunters.

>My 13 year old son drew
>an either sex youth hunt
>for unit 15. He has
>killed a doe on a
>previous hunt but really wants
>a buck. Just wondering if
>anyone hunting elk in 15
>have seen any bucks or
>know of a good starting
>place. Please point him in
>the right direction his Grandpa
>Thomas and dad Gabriel don't
>have time to scout hope
>to find some between Quemado
>and AZ state line. Thanks
>Fellow hunters.
Check your PMs

Thanks guys for the help glad to see fellow hunters out there willing to help our young kids get out there and hunt. Seems like ive got to pry the video games out of his hands sometimes. Hope he learns something from his ole dad and Grandpa about wildlife and the gift we have to enjoy!

Thanks everyone for your help. I think I'm more fired up then my boy. I've located a nice 16 incher and have seen 9 bucks and 20 does looks like lopes doing good in 15.

Thanks to all fellow hunters who left messages and pms. My son filled his tag with an old battle scared warrior this morning story and pics when we get home have better Internet signal.

27212014-10-25_07.50.42.jpg

60152014-10-25_07.50.11.jpg

The plan was to meet my Dad Tom and Son Gavin in Quemado the night before the hunt. I planned to head out early and take look around. I started at the AZ state line and headed towards Quemado. I soon spotted a small buck and doe. They were standing in a mine field of nasty looking malapai rock. I then made my way checking larger open areas. I spotted a herd of 7 young bucks mingling in and out of the PJ's. I continued heading east. I spotted some nice rolling hills and started glassing with my Pentax optics. I quickly located 20 does with a nice 15-16 inch buck.

Back at Quemado we stayed at the Largo motel. It Was very comfortable and we had a good meal at the caf?. In the morning we drank coffee at and told the waitress we would be right back with a big antelope. We all laughed and off we went to locate the big buck I spotted the night before.

We arrived at the spot I saw the 21 goats the night before and nothing but rolling hills. We decided to head south and continued stopping at vantage points to glass. We discussed going back and heading further east. Grandpa Tom then said wait there's some. We all pilled and got into position. Gavin said I got him in the scope Grandpa was all upset saying I forgot my range finder! I said we should go back to look for the other buck and Gavin said he wanted to try a shot. I said he is about 13 inch Gavin said I like him. Grandpa said ok but we don't have the yardage. I said we can get closer and try a shot. Gavin told his Grandpa where's my sticks? He quickly ran back and got shooting sticks.

Grandpa returned and was helping Gavin get lined up. I said wait don't shoot! A bigger buck appeared from the left. How far how far Grandpa said. 300? ok! Gavin hold on second mill dot. Grandpa had built him a 6mm bench rest on a Savage rifle. I watched the buck run towards us at the shot and bunch up with the smaller buck and does. Gavin chambered another shell. I figured he might have hit high. Put the cross hair on the top of his back. At the shot the buck buckled.

High five's and hugs good shooting! We went back to the truck and gathered our gear. Grandpa said shoot we could have recorded it I have my video camera. As we walked up to the downed goat he took some video of the does and younger buck. We arrived at the buck the young hunter was a bit scared of herd of cattle coming to investigate us. I laughed and had him count off the yardage while my dad and I pulled him to the truck.

The buck was full of scars missing nearly all the hair on his head. His head and neck with patches of hair missing. His prong completely broke on one side. both his legs full of scars. His horns were gray and all cracked. He was deffinatly and old battle scarred warrior!

I'm proud of my young hunter. I'm glad my dad gets to enjoy his young grandsons hunting adventures, as we can never get tags ourselves. We are truly blessed to be able to enjoy the outdoors and to pursue wild game.

While heading back to Quemado we spotted the other buck we were after. He was chasing a doe and looked to still be rutting. What a beautiful sight!

Back at Largo to check out the waitress says back already! She looked in the back of the truck, congratulating the young hunter.

Thanks again to all the helpful info from fellow hunters who posted and sent PM's!

Congrats on a good looking speed goat.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".
>[Font][Font color = "green"]Life member of
>the MM green signature club.[font/]

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom