Youth Hunt Idea

Antler1

Over the past few days in alot of discussion about the draw system the question what about the kids kept coming up.

What if the UDWR had a separate draw for youth 14 to 18 in each LE unit. They could still earn points but would only be competing for tags with a group with one to four points for the first four years, after that they go into the regular draw with what points they have.

As far as permit numbers it could be a percent of the total tags in each unit or some other formula. They could let them hunt all seasons like the premium tags or separate the draw by weapon types.

This is not a formal proposal just an idea. What do you all think.

in CA its 12yrs to 16yrs old and they have special youth draws... but the never loose the points unless the draw youth or as an adult hunter!! just helps them get drawn..some time!utah should just drop age to 12 and let the kids hunt and get points.
rm

I'm all for promoting youth hunting opportunities. But why do kids need to have a better opportunity at a 180+ buck, 350 inch elk, bighorn sheep ect. Maybe its because there parents are teaching them that if you don't shoot some huge trophy, then its not worth hunting. When I was that age I was absolutely thrilled to get a forky. I think that a better proposal would be to let the kids hunt the general areas two days before the regular season opens.

I can see good coming from both of your guys replies. I like the idea of promoting the youth, but I think sending them in 2 days early would be a disaster. Can you imagine the amount of big bucks shot by little kids. Me either, but alot of their dads would sure as hell do it! I like the current Utah youth Elk draw as it is.

I think the kids and adults should all play by the same draws and system. Easier to manage and costs less for the state to worry about.

Just make all Youth tags cheaper to promote getting kids out. My 12 yr old son thinks he hit the jackpot to hunt cow elk in Wyoming. Kids just want to go, do something with dad (or mom) and hit the hills. With it kids it's about the experience. If my 14 yr old son is pissed because he didn't draw a tag to chase a 400 class bull, then I've failed to teach him what hunting is all about.

Make it more cost effective for our Youth to get out and experience as much hunting as possible. Can you say Idaho? Wyoming? Great programs.

ODDNUT1
Kirt C.
Hunt Odds.com

make all youth hunts does and cows......my son won't care he just loves pepper stix and my roast and steaks! give all youth a doe or cow hunting opportunity before they have to compete with the mainstream! IT so important to build the sportsperson
foundation at an very early age.... since the day my son was born I waited for the first season and it has arrived and we are both a bit silly with the jitters... and the rifle range is
just adding fuel(just last sunday he(my 12 yrs old son) was laughing about how much recoil kick hurt and he said "dad" I just maybe addicted to recoil!.... and he want to try the .375 big'n soon..ahh! we need to talk son.)
Rack

Rack, what tag did your son draw? My son still didn't draw the tag I PM'ed you about, bummer. But he's got a ES elk tag in a good unit in Co. The only real tag we drew of 32 chances.

Although my son is too old to apply in a couple of states next year, I'm all for youth hunts. I agree they shouldn't get the BEST tags availible but the hunt should be quality to spark that fire in them. As a non-resident, my son had a much better chance of drawing the Utah youth elk tag than resident youth. I took advantage of that fact in 04 but I don't agree with it. One of the biologist I talked to said his sons (16&17) hadn't drawn and my son (14 @ the time) drew his second year applying. Kinda hard to take if you were a resident.

slayer
my son missed all youth hunt draws so he has just gots deer,elk sheep and antelope pts!(put in for what you suggested after chat with F&G )So we have X-1 and B zone! I have Southern Utah Deer and an Ca Antelope tag also!
rm

LAST EDITED ON Jul-19-06 AT 06:34AM (MST)[p]I'm to that point in life where I would like to see my kids get a chance at a quality hunting experience more-so than me. I'm not talking about only trophy quality areas. I mean taking them out in areas where you see game and they have a really good chance of harvesting an animal. It's been a long time since I hunted opening weekend on Utah's rifle hunt but I DO NOT consider that a quality experience. It's tough to get your kids excited about hunting when they don't see that much game and when they do see game it's usually on the run. I 100% agree with ODDnut. Idaho, Wyoming, and even Colorado provide some great opportunities for kids to hunt. We can only hope that with the revisions coming soon they will consider something for our kids here in Utah.

www.awholelottabull.com

We let our kids start hunting the week before the rifle opener in Mississippi. It has been a huge success. It is probably the most exciting week at deer camp. We also do not have a minimum age limit. It seems if you start them young, you have a better chance of hooking them for life. My son killed twelve whitetails before his 8th birthday.

""My son killed twelve whitetails before his 8th birthday.""
ARE YOU F@####G KIDDING ME? THATS JUST CRAZY NOW AND DAYS...REAL DEER? HOW WOULD A 5,6,7,8,9 YEAR OLD EVEN HOLD A CENTER FIRE RIFLE??? RECOIL?? GUT IT ?? LOAD A RIFLE?? SAFTY?? SIGN HIS OR HER NAME ON THE TAG! PASS HUNTER SAFTY TEST.....? TWELVE DEER AT SEVEN YEARS OLD...HOW ? EXPLAIN THIS TO ME SO I can vision this....I UNDERSTAND YOU SAID NO MIN AGE LIMIT.. IS THEIR NO POSSION OR DAILY BAG LIMIT ON DEER BEFORE THE AGE OF 8?? MAYBE PETA HAS A PLACE IN THIS WORLD!!
MY GOD!!!SEVEN YEARS OLD?????????
rm

Apparently you don't have kids. My 7 year old daughter shoots my 243 without a problem (with a bipod of course). Loads it herself and is very safe. All my kids have taken hunter safety by 8 years old and are safer than some of the hunters that come to my camp. It all depends on how you raise them. I will grant you this, not all 8 year old kids should be allowed to use a high powered rifle, but then again, not all adults should either.

>""My son killed twelve whitetails before
>his 8th birthday.""
>ARE YOU F@####G KIDDING ME? THATS
>JUST CRAZY NOW AND DAYS...REAL
>DEER? HOW WOULD A 5,6,7,8,9
>YEAR OLD EVEN HOLD A
>CENTER FIRE RIFLE??? RECOIL?? GUT
>IT ?? LOAD A RIFLE??
>SAFTY?? SIGN HIS OR HER
>NAME ON THE TAG! PASS
>HUNTER SAFTY TEST.....? TWELVE DEER
>AT SEVEN YEARS OLD...HOW ?