Youth points - oops

DoeNob

LAST EDITED ON Jan-14-13 AT 03:28PM (MST)[p]So I was trying to get a head start for my son and buy him some points, (he's 18 months old). I was going to buy some in Wyoming and Arizona. I didnt' put 2 and 2 together that you have to be legal hunting age to buy preference points, and I bought him a youth AZ license before I figured that out. Probably the smallest license holder in the history of Arizona at 2 foot 10 inches and 29 lbs, ha!

$27 mistake, I've made much worse mistakes.

Question though - why not allow points only purchases for youth before they are of age to do the hunt? I don't see how that is unfair and it would help him out if he had a dozen points in both states by the time he was big enough to go.

Heck ya! Why not I have been putting my dog in for 15 yrs! Now me with 1 point we put in together and up my odds to 7 wooty woo who!

Rutnbuck

Up until 5-6 years ago you used to be able to buy a point only for a child under the age of 10 in Arizona. I know this because I did it for my two boys. My 16 year old son already has 10 BP for big horn sheep. I only wished I knew about it sooner.

Even though all my kids are older than 10 I wish AZ G&F would still allow this practice to occur. First, it creates additional revenue for the dept because of the additional license sales. Even if you apply for a point only, you still have to buy a license. Does not matter how old you are. Secondly, it allows kids to be in the points game once they are 10 years old and able to apply for big game hunts. When they only get to start applying when they are ten, everyone else already has a head start on them. By the time they build up enough points, many times they have graduated from HS and gone off to college, military or moved out.

That's funny way to be thinking ahead. In Utah he would be 13 or 14 when he drew if he started now.

This is rediculous. The point thing has gotten out of control. I think you should only recieve a point if you actually apply for a hunt and don't draw.

PPs

"I think you should only receive a point if you actually apply for a hunt and don't draw."

That would certainly seem to cut down the PP creep and may not be a bad way to go if more of these systems are created. Would you suggest that the PP be free in that case or that you would have to pay for it like the Wyoming NR setup is right now?

If you started that method in Utah this year, in 14 years you'd have like 3,000 14-year olds having 14 points applying for their hunts, they would get ALL the bonus tags for their units(excluding very hard units), and those who didn't draw would throw the Point Creep off... It would repeat the same the following year.

I also agree that only those who don't draw a tags should get PPs...

"Therefore, wo be unto him that is at ease in Zion!" 2 Ne. 28: 24

Thinking a little more... With the Point Creep, in 14 years it will take roughly 18 points to guarantee a Book Cliffs tag... Ugh

"Therefore, wo be unto him that is at ease in Zion!" 2 Ne. 28: 24

How about instead of teaching kids that hunting is only about the biggest bucks, bulls, and the highest scores we teach them the proper ethics, shot placement, etc....

RE: PPs

Topgun, I don't like the way WY charges a fee and gives you an option to pay for the point or not recieve it. It should be free, like I believe most other states are.

I also think the bonus point seems better than the preference point. I would prefer the system that allows you additional chances to draw for each point you have accumulated, but no one is ever "guaranteed" and thus it is mathematically possible to draw on the first try. Of course I understand the argument for the strict prefernce system too, but that contributes more to point creep in my opinion.

I am in NM and we have no point system and no general tags.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom