Yukon Bull 2006

Max_1

This hunt was the most enjoyable and terrible hunt I have ever been on. The first nine days were great, and then I screwed it up by shooting him. We spent 9 hours in the rain packing him out.

4a8436e6494d206c.jpg

Nice bull. An Alaska moose hunt is at the top of my list of dream hunts. Please provide more pictures and full details on the story.

Mark
muledeer.jpg

My hunting spot is so secret, not even the elk have found it yet.

This was my second trip after moose in Alaska. My first trip in 2004 was a ten day drop camp where it rained on us for 8 of the ten days. There were no moose taken, but i did take my first black bear. This hunt was with the same outfitter(Dean Hilde)about 70 miles northeast of Aniak. The weather was more favorable for us this time. We hunted for eight days in good weather without one moose sighting. At the end of the day our outfitter picked us up due to a bad storm coming in. We hunted the 9th day out of the lodge where we ran into my bull. My dad had first shot and missed on what we thought was a 250 yard shot that after pacing it out realized it was about four hundred yards(there size really throws your judgement off). While we were walking back I heard a loud grunt in the pines. I told my dad I think he is coming back and as my dad turned he emerged out of the trees grunting and thrashing alders. My dad fired and hit him back in the lower abdomen(due to severe buck fever). He took off running towards the five mile wide bog below the hill. I was having trouble following him through the alders with my scope. He finally broke through an opening about 300 yards away and I was ready. With one shot I severed his spine. And that is when my great hunt went bad:) It rained so hard that it even saturated our rain gear. My bull is 63" wide and after processing we came home with over 600 lbs. of meat. To be honest even with that kind of work load I still plan on doing it again.

The rest of my pics.

4a8475a85d3daf2e.jpg

4a8475e25e9636d5.jpg

I wish i had more, but due to the rain it was not the best environment to have a camera out.

Thanks for the added details. Is that moose good eating?

Mark
muledeer.jpg

My hunting spot is so secret, not even the elk have found it yet.

I thought it was great. We had pastrami and brats made along with hamburger, steaks, and roasts. The only game that I have thought was better was the always delicious elk. If you ever get to go on your dream hunt Familyman let me know. I can get you in contact with my outfitter and give you some ideas on things you will want to take that we didn't and wish we did.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom