“The gate will remain closed”

BeanMan

Long Time Member
The 10th circuit court of appeals has ruled that High Lonesome Ranch may keep 90,000 acres of public land locked up until the appeal process has run it’s course. i kind of figure this would happen, let’s hope they lose the appeal but for now the road and land remain closed to us for an undetermined time period.

Ugh. Can't stand landowners like this which are becoming increasingly more common in our part of the world. However I do subscribe to the OnX type mentality where if my GPS says it's public and the gate is closed and I know there are no travel restrictions like Areas of Critical Environmental Concern then the alternate key is coming out along with a call to the local Conservation Office.

I figured
Was up there a couple weeks ago and they had someone camped at the gate threatening people.
Bean man we should go up there and call coyotes

They can’t keep us off of the BLM land even if the gate is locked!
Hell we can use the gate as a gun rest!!

Ugh. Can't stand landowners like this which are becoming increasingly more common in our part of the world. However I do subscribe to the OnX type mentality where if my GPS says it's public and the gate is closed and I know there are no travel restrictions like Areas of Critical Environmental Concern then the alternate key is coming out along with a call to the local Conservation Office.
Don’t trust Onx - they have a problem uploading deed restrictions into their magic map maker. The PRIVATE road thru my PRIVATE property is indicated as being public. Wrong.

Its not normally a problem, but this year during hunting season I stopped someone who had driven past 5 no trespassing signs to tell me Onx said it was ok. I reminded them that the local sheriff was enthusiastic about writing trespassing tickets during hunting season.

I don’t think you should be able to block historic access to public lands. Our county is suing the feds over this very thing......not always private landowners.

Don’t trust Onx - they have a problem uploading deed restrictions into their magic map maker. The PRIVATE road thru my PRIVATE property is indicated as being public. Wrong.

Its not normally a problem, but this year during hunting season I stopped someone who had driven past 5 no trespassing signs to tell me Onx said it was ok. I reminded them that the local sheriff was enthusiastic about writing trespassing tickets during hunting season.

I don’t think you should be able to block historic access to public lands. Our county is suing the feds over this very thing......not always private landowners.
Too bad your County didn’t get that lawsuit settled up before 1/20/21.....

You might dig into that deeper

I figured
Was up there a couple weeks ago and they had someone camped at the gate threatening people.
Bean man we should go up there and call coyotes
How did the Burned area look ?
Has there been much moisture up there this winter ?

All the elk are hanging out in the west side of kimball creek on BLM in the burn right now
The problem is a 1/4 mile strip of private in the bottom that kept us from getting to them without walking 7 miles

Nope, not a county road. How much deeper do you have to go than buying the land and building the road?

There are a couple of other errors I know of right here in my backyard. Not saying thats the case up there, just pointing out that Onx is wrong sometimes.
I get it just asking and wondering

OnX doesn't mark roads as public or private.
That’s a good point. I should clarify that they added an overlay that now shows my road where it didn’t before.

They do however show roads where there are none (Gated). They even have FS numbers on a couple I know of.

I should say that I like Onx. Private land boundaries are VERY accurate.

All the elk are hanging out in the west side of kimball creek on BLM in the burn right now
The problem is a 1/4 mile strip of private in the bottom that kept us from getting to them without walking 7 miles
We found some between Kimball creek and Dry Creek on public the last day of the season. Some road hunters went out of their way to run them off for us.

There is very little moisture, last week you could sweep the 4” of snow aside with your boot and hit dust.
That’s terrible
When I was there mid November I talked to the rancher I know and he said he had no idea if/when they would reseed. Have you guys heard anything regarding that ?

So there,is,a way to access,them, it just requires,you to hike farther then you want to
??

The 10th circuit court of appeals has ruled that High Lonesome Ranch may keep 90,000 acres of public land locked up until the appeal process has run it’s course. i kind of figure this would happen, let’s hope they lose the appeal but for now the road and land remain closed to us for an undetermined time period.
I don't have any info other than what I've read on here, and the links provided, but this stinks for those in the area. 90,000 acres? What is the HLR's justification?

I don't have any info other than what I've read on here, and the links provided, but this stinks for those in the area. 90,000 acres? What is the HLR's justification?
Man I wonder if HLR ends up losing this fight if we can’t see them over the issue? Seems likely that they are not afraid at all.

Nope, not a county road. How much deeper do you have to go than buying the land and building the road?

There are a couple of other errors I know of right here in my backyard. Not saying thats the case up there, just pointing out that Onx is wrong sometimes.
I have seen some errors on their maps in colorado in unit 22. I have also seen in Utah some trails and stuff not be even close on the map compared to where they actually lay. It's pretty dependable but not bullet proof for sure!

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom