0 for 7 in draw = great year

live4muleys

When I found out I didn't draw for a single thing this year, I was more then disappointed, but who would have thought that I would have my best and funnest year of hunting yet. I was very disappointed when I saw all red, didn't take me long though to find out that my niece had draw two tags, my nephew one, my sister in-law one, my brother one and my wife one. I was able to hold my head up since I was still going to be able to go hunting so often.

It was going to start out with my nieces antelope hunt. She had gone on hunts before but was never able to harvest an animal and I really wanted to be able to give her the chance to harvest an animal. I spent time scouting and I was feeling pretty confident we would be able to get her a shoot. We had decided to try to get her a buck for the first day and a half then see what we could do after that. The day before the hunt me and my brother went out scouting one last time and we spotted a good amount of antelope in the circle we drove so we had a plan. So we started out the next morning in the same circle and we were not finding anything and we started to think this poor girl has the worst luck, but like it does so often in hunting, it all changed in a hurry. We look over and find a group of antelope and we knew it was the group with two good bucks in it. So we make our way to and she gets her chance. She misses her first shot completely, but she stays very calm and is able to make a perfect second shot. The antelope goes down, then gets back up, then goes down, then gets back up and finally goes down and stays down. Me and her dad could not have been prouder of her. It was 15 inches with a lot of curl back. It started to curl at 10 inches and had 5 inches of curl going back.

2570img4062.jpg

Next was my nephew hunt in the Sandias, but the only thing was my niece had one down south at the same time. We decided that I would take my nephew and my brother would take my niece. We said the race was on and we would see who sends a picture first. Who would have thought they would both be successful. Well they beat us and my niece was able to make another great shot on a nice young (delicious) deer. They got him early and decided to take care of everything right away and be able to make it for the next day of my nephews hunt.
Me and my nephew were seeing deer and bucks just couldn't make it happen on the first day. We came up with a plan for the next day. My brother was able to join us for the next day as they left my nieces hanging up in my barn. We were able to find a good buck and after a stock my nephew was able to put a perfect shot at 20 yrds. Me and my brother knew it was a good buck but we were trying not to say to much about it, that way my nephew would stay calm. The buck didn't go 80 yds before pilling up. When we got to him he was actually a lot bigger then I was thinking he was.

We get him back to the house and my niece walks up and sees how big it is and she just laughs and says yeah you won. But I reminded her she did get hers first.

2739img0249.jpg

my nephews
4645img0270.jpg

I could not be happier with the year we had had so far. It was already a great year.

Next was my wife and sister in laws hunt. This was going to be my wife's first hunt ever. My sister had been on hunts, but never seen anything on them. They were very excited, as was I. It was a unit that was know to have lots of elk. They had practice and I knew they could both shot. The first morning was a good morning we were able to find a big cow elk, but my wife was not able to get the scope on her in time. I was just excited we were able to find something. We saw lots of deer and turkey also. They loved seeing all the wildlife. That evening we were not able to turn up any elk, but it was a beautiful snowy afternoon none the less. The next morning we decided what we were going to do. And like many times in hunting that changed, this time due to the snow. We end up in a lot of snow about 12 inches Sunday morning and it made for some tough conditions. Then all the sudden we find a group. They were passing through this opening and my sister in law was not able to get the scope on them. The girls were disappointed that they were not able to get their shots off, but me and my brother were just excited to be seeing some. We decided to try our luck a little lower and it payed off. We were able to find this group across this canyon. My sister was up first. She gets set up on the sticks and hits the front cow. She reloads and makes a perfect second shot to put her down. She looks over at my wife and says it your turn its fun. So the group is still there and my wife gets set up. She misses the first shot completely but calmly reloads and make a perfect second shot. The cow drops in her tracks. There was two very excited girls, but I think even two more excited husbands. Now the work was going to begin. They were across this canyon and we were going to have to go get both of them. The girls did a great job on this. Who would of thought that this would be my wife's favorite part. She loved the pack out and did a great job on it.

7549kerrie2.jpg

My sister in law

6474dscf7654.jpg

It has been a blast. This was the first big game for all these hunters. Could not ask for much more.

We have one more hunt to go and that is my brothers archery. We are 5 for 5 so far this year so the pressure is on him. Hopefully I have one more picture to add in January.

Merry Christmas to all.

Well we will see how our last hunt goes. My brother has never got a thing with his bow so that would top off the greatest year of hunting for us. Regardless if has been a blast.

Well we end the year 5 for 6. My Brother had a chance at a good buck but wasn't able to connect. Still by far the best hunting year of my life and I never pulled the trigger.

All freezers are filled and that is the best part of all.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom