011-013 Muleys

W

WhiskeyMan

I've got many points and want a biggun or nothing.

Whatever happened to the northern Washoe units fame for producing big bucks? Seems like this isolated region is rarely discussed in big buck circles any more. In fact, younger hunters may not even know what I'm talking about. The Foooooooooooo hasn't even mentioned it for years. Not the Sheldon, either. What is up with this?

But......the record book says otherwise. They seem to still be there, just not in the numbers this region produced in the 1980's. The genetics remain behind even when the numbers decline.

I'm really looking to spend my points here instead of the much-hyped Lincoln County units. Draw odds are still steep in northern Washoe, but is this only because of it's lingering 1980's reputation......or is it still producing the occasional whopper?

015 also used to be the tag to have but I never here anything about that place anymore.A few years ago in the big buck contest on here, a guy with the last name of nunnick(sp) was in the top 3 of the typical contest it was a decent buck from 014.

LAST EDITED ON Mar-25-11 AT 06:37AM (MST)[p]The cali Lions and wild horses have hurt these units. No doubt the genetics are there, but water and feed sources are down due to the elegant, beautiful, majestic ponies. There are resident deer, and there is some occasional big ones just like any other unit. The biggest problem is that 015 is a migration hunt. We all know what cali's deer herd looks like. I have a friend that chukar hunts that portion of the state very regular and he said it will never be the same unless the get rid of all the horses. its bad. I am not saying the buck of yours or my dreams does not live in Northern Washoe county, you will have to work extremely hard to find him compared to the past.

After the back to back amazingly wet years of 83 and 84 the deer herds really did well in Nevada, for a while anyway, the north western and central herds declined first, with the north eastern deer numbers dropping a few years later. I remmember some nice northern Washoe and Humbolt county bucks during the 80s, but Im sure things have changed. If I had a bunch of points and some time, area 6 late would be my pick, the weather has been favorable up there for a few years, including this one, and no place in Nevada has produced more monsters than Northern Elko county has, I remmember one over 300 points that was killed in the Independence range some years ago, The guy shot it in 6 with a 7 tag, and got caught. Genetics and forage thats the key.

I have been to the bar that has pics of that buck and the story of what happend, it was a giant buck,I cant think of the name of that place though its on the way to the northern end of the independance range.

These Northern Washoe County areas have really gone down hill in the last 15 years. I've seen a big buck or two still come out of these areas but if you've got a bunch of points, I wouldn't waste them in any of these units IMHO.

I have a friend who helped a buddy with a landowner tag take a very big buck in 015 this year. He shot it the day after Christmas. It was 38" wide and scored in the 220s.

IT WAS THE ONLY BUCK THEY SAW IN SIX DAYS OF HARD HUNTING.

I believe the #2 Typical buck was taken in Taylor Canyon (Area 6-Independence Mts.) yrs. ago, and I think there is propensity for big bucks because of genetics and despite drought, fires, severe winters, lions & coyotes; range & forage conditions.

My grandpa hunted the Sheldon area back in the 70's and early 80's. He took some of the biggest bucks I have ever seen. He was a rancher out there and had all the honey holes down. It was also before everybody was in search of a 200+ inch buck to hang on the wall. When he left the ranch he ran over there he left all his horns too. He told me a few years ago that was one of the dumbest things he has ever done. He also said he heard disease had put a significant dent in the population over there. Not sure if there is any truth to that, just the opinion of an old timer that new the area like the back of his hand.

Fires have played a role also. Catnip, Badger and Devaney mtns. on the sheldon have all had major burns on them several years ago.
took out most of the big sage and bitter brush.
It will be years before it comes back, if at all. That's if more fires don't take it again, what with all the cheat grass there now.
there is new sage coming, but gotta hope no fires.

I hunted this neat area last fall for goats for 2 weeks. A few things I observed during that trip gave me the impression it might be worth a big muley trip. Still confused.......that's why I'm asking.

This is a 180"+ 28-inch buck who left this hayfield when he saw me that late August morning. Poor photo thru my spotter. Zoom in if ya can....he is as I say. He was in 013 just a few miles from Cali..
1636img_0282.jpg

Same spot, look very closely at the velvet antlers sticking up out of the alfalfa in the dead center of this photo. This older buck who also knew the program elected to sit down to hide when he noticed me. His rack is more then half the body length of the other feeding bucks. I got a good look at him before he hid. His rack was mid 30's typical and was near 200".

4878img_0285.jpg

Wasn't trying to discount anyone's opinion. Or just trying to be disagreeable and make everyone go silent. Its just that I'm confused since I saw these bucks in such a down unit......according to what you guys are telling me.

Maybe things aren't as bad in this area. I very easily spotted 2 and 3 year old bucks in that sagebrush and feed present country. Fox Mtn.... was loaded with deer if you looked in the brush with water nearby. So was Cherry Mtn.

Given my experiences.........I'm not at all convinced to stay away from the northern washoe units. Show me someplace better, and I might reconsider.

Just thought I would add this to the pile, there is a good buck in every mtn. range in NV. the 70-80's were probably the best Mule Deer hunting we had. Northern Washoe will produce a couple huge bucks it seems to each year. Elko County is still the number one County for records, or put another way, it has the most bucks in the record books of any NV.county. Washoe County has had some great non-typicals I believe that even with less deer now, it still holds some great bucks. I think North Eastern NV. has some great bucks. no matter where you go & no matter what season you hunt, you will have to Scout & Glass to find a big Mature Mule Deer Buck. Mule Deer are still on the Decline all over the west. Scouting & Glassing,will be the best investment you can do. if thats not possible NDOW has a lot of info on the website. look through your B&C boks as well as your P&Y books. Good luck.

The idea that there is a good buck in every mountain range is one of things that makes hunting NV so hard for me. I have a hard time driving past beautiful ranges that "could" hold the monster of my dreams.

I spent some time in 013 and 015 last fall just looking around, and I did find 2 nice bucks, but I didn't find a lot of deer. 16 years ago I would have expected to find a lot more deer. I put 011-013 as my first choice this year.

I have hunted these units as well as unit 14 for many years. I consistently see many bucks in the 24 to 26 inch range. Without giving too much away, unit 12 is a real sleeper if you do you homework......

I spend a lot of time in 015 during their 3 seasons, and occasionally see a real trophy. Be careful of those December dates though. My access to 015, from the kali side was closed off last year for 6 weeks, somet of this during December. When I got back in there I was driving 7-8 miles across a sage flat that had over a foot of water on it. The road is sunken a lot lower so it had 2 feet of water on it. The only way I got in there was to drive across sage brush. Had at least one flat on my quad each trip.

Cold weather you can get around fine. Normal wet, warm weather a quad will get you around very nicely. Heavy rains and you're done. Heavy snow just makes it difficult. That time of year the normal weather is 20's at night and 40's during the day. With these conditions you can get around with a pickup except during the middle of the day. But NE Kali/NW Nevada doesn't have "NORMAL" weather. If you're burning 10+ points and you can't hunt because of the weather, you're gonna regret that tag.

With 4 PPs 015 and 021 will be on my app.

Back to 015. They took a ton of horses outta there in "2010." I went from seeing 75-100 each chukar trip to a tops of 26 one day this year. Most days single digits. And what a winter!!! Plenty of moisture and the cold was early (Nov). Should be as good as it has been the next couple of years. I see lion tracks but not a lot. Friend did tree two in two days a month or so ago. Didn't kill either, just ran em for sport, DARN!!!!!!

Nevada Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Big Bucks & Bulls Timberline Outfitters Guide Service

Customized and high quality eastern Nevada trophy hunts for mule deer, elk and antelope.

Western Wildlife Adventures

We offer some excellent mule deer and elk hunts in northeast Nevada.

Currant Creek Outfitters

Nevada, big bucks and big bulls! We hunt for quality not quantity.

Nevada Outfitters & Guides Association

Find guides and outfitters for mule deer, elk, sheep, chuckar, fishing, & more!

SilverGrand Outfitters

Successfully guiding in Nevada for many years. Mule deer, elk, antelope and bighorn sheep hunts.

Hidden Lake Outfitters

Specializing in trophy mule deer hunts along with elk, mountain goat, antelope and mountain lion.

G&J Outdoors

Full time outfitter with 20+ years hunting mule deer, sheep, elk, antelope, lion and chukar.

Mountain Man Outfitters

Offering world class mule deer hunts in some of the most productive units in Nevada.

Nevada High Desert Outfitters

Rocky mountain goats, desert, rocky and california bighorn, mule deer, antelope and elk hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

If you want an unguided hunt but can't draw your tags, you need to call us.

White River Guide Service

50 years of guiding experience! Mule deer, elk, sheep and cougar.

Back
Top Bottom