032 archery antelope

This is my first archery tag. Was wondering if anyone had any advice. Is it better to spot and stalk or set up a ground blind? I've been scouting and seen some pretty good bucks. An suggestions would be appreciated.

IMO find out where they are watering and set up there. I know there are springs in that country that run for several hundred yards so that won't always work. BUT if they are watering from a small water source, get set up.

That country is tough, tough, tough to stalk in most places.

Hi mountainstalker,

I had a Mule Deer Rifle tag up in 032 in 2007. While there I saw a large contingent of antelope on the east side of the range way down low. Seemed that they were traveling to and from the ranch lands there. Specifically, Big Creek ranch. I probably saw anywhere from 20 to 30 antelope on the ranch. They would show up in the mornings, feed, water and leave then show up again later in the day before dark. It was my first big game hunt and i was after Muleys so I didn't pay too much attention to size, nor did I know how to measure them at the time but there was a slough of em. Keep in mind that this was in october with highs in the high 70s to low 80's. Last year i had an antelope archery tag in 034 which is directly south west of 032. We saw a few really nice lopes up really high in 034 up on top of the flat tops there. Mid way through the hunt we ran in to a gent who was scouting 034 for Big Horn and had entered the unit from up north on the 032 side of the 034.
He had indicated that he saw many many more Antelop on the northern side of unit (just south of your unit). It might be worth taking a gander at the south west side of the Pine forest range which buts up to the area where this guy was seeing all those lopes. When we were up there in 2007 we drove to knott creek res to camp while scouting and there is alot of good looking lope land on that west side.

Sorry for the jumble of text there. Feel free to PM me and we can chat on my findings up in that unit.

Best luck to ya.

Saw lots of antelope in 032 last weekend scouting for my deer tag. Most of them are in big herds now which makes stalking almost impossible. Personally, I can't stand sitting on water all day - I would try to locate some isolated bucks that may still be alone or you could try to decoy if the bigger bucks are mixed in with their harems. I haven't had a lot of luck with decoys but some people swear by them this time of year.

Long story short, if the bucks that you really want to hunt are in big groups, sitting water will be your best bet - I just can't sit all day!

Have also seen a good number of bucks along the eastern side of the Jacksons in 035 near trout creek. From what I understand there are a good number in the hills due east of the jacksons as well. i have a rifle antelope tag for the same units so hopefully there are a bunch of animals this year.

Nevada Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Big Bucks & Bulls Timberline Outfitters Guide Service

Customized and high quality eastern Nevada trophy hunts for mule deer, elk and antelope.

Western Wildlife Adventures

We offer some excellent mule deer and elk hunts in northeast Nevada.

Currant Creek Outfitters

Nevada, big bucks and big bulls! We hunt for quality not quantity.

Nevada Outfitters & Guides Association

Find guides and outfitters for mule deer, elk, sheep, chuckar, fishing, & more!

SilverGrand Outfitters

Successfully guiding in Nevada for many years. Mule deer, elk, antelope and bighorn sheep hunts.

Hidden Lake Outfitters

Specializing in trophy mule deer hunts along with elk, mountain goat, antelope and mountain lion.

G&J Outdoors

Full time outfitter with 20+ years hunting mule deer, sheep, elk, antelope, lion and chukar.

Mountain Man Outfitters

Offering world class mule deer hunts in some of the most productive units in Nevada.

Nevada High Desert Outfitters

Rocky mountain goats, desert, rocky and california bighorn, mule deer, antelope and elk hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

If you want an unguided hunt but can't draw your tags, you need to call us.

White River Guide Service

50 years of guiding experience! Mule deer, elk, sheep and cougar.

Back
Top Bottom