05 Wyoming Antelope Hunt

N

NV30378

I was wondering if anybody familiar with hunting antelope in Wyoming could provide some info on over the counter tags and a decent area that is mostly public, but does not need to hold big bucks just a legal goat. I don't care if it's a doe, but I would prefer a either sex tag if they have one. I took my one and only goat out of Upton on a relatives ranch many years ago, but they have since sold the ranch......Winters to long in Wyo! I guess I am looking for a meat hunt.

If you are a Non-Resident, there are no OTC tags for anything in Wyo. to my knowledge. Get a copy of the 2005 regs and look, but I have never heard of them. But some areas are probably easier to draw, but you need to do some "seaching" or hopefully someone will give you a helping hand in finding a location, good luck.

Brian

Go to the Game and Fish website and look up draw odds. You should be able to find several areas were there are good odds to draw an antlerless tag. But you will have to put in for a draw.

You are right, winters are terrible cold in WY. Thats why the population is so low, lots of winter kill......

from the "Heartland of Wyoming"

Can't think of anywhere in Wyoming a Antelope Meat Hunter can not score.

WB

Nearly anywhere in the state will do what you want. And yes, in many areas even a nonresident can buy OTC doe tags. Try the Gillette area. I found lots of public land there.

Toddt:

What public land around Gillette are you talking about? I have been given the impression that the Thunder Basin National Grassland -- a large block of public land near Gillette -- tends to be over run with hunters so I have shied away from it and instead paid trespass fees. If I can avoid the trespass fees and have a good meat hunt on public land near Gillette I would like to know more details about it.

I have thought that crowds might be avoided by (1) hunting later in the season, maybe starting two weeks after the season opens and (2) hunting mid-week instead of the weekends. But this was only a theory. Do you have any specific information you can share?

I have hunted Blm land 2 out of the last 4 years with my buddy in Wyoming We never seen another hunter on opening day with the rifle. First time out we were both done in 2 hours mine had 13 inch horns his 12 inch. Last year we were both done first hour of season mine had 14 inch horns his 13 inch. Were putting in for this unit again this year. They don't give many tags out for this unit. But it's around 30% chance to draw. Ps. my brother inlaw lives there so he scouts them out for us.

Have drawn and killed antelope 9 out of 11 years putting in. I live in the West side of WY in Kemmerer and there is a ton of public land over here. Only doe/fawn tags sold over the counter though. And it is my experience that you need to buy them early. Most guys standing in line to wait for the doors to open to the local gas station to buy them. Not sure when the date of sale is. Good luck. You should be able to get a doe where ever you hunt.

Good Hunting,

thatcherwyo1

no non res tags. all are an draw.
as far as the draw some are easy draw and some tuffer.
great eatting though!
i hit 5 outta 7 time on an tough to draw area!
next year gonna be an point system in play so start saving and put in for everything!
rm

I purchased over the counter doe tags a couple years back as a non-resident. Maybe things have changed........ Thanks, Allen Taylor......

We've bought over the counter doe tags as non-residents , they're left over after the drawing but you can't count on them to be available every year or in every unit . We bought them at the bar in Atlantic city one time while buck hunting in the area .

I haven't seen any thing OTC except after the secondary draw is over. The doe tags seem really limited if that is what you are solely looking for, but if you prefer an either sex, get in on this secondary drwing for 32 type 2. that didn't fill up and should offer a chance for a meat shoot without having to pay for a tresspass permit.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom