07 Cummings

chasendeer

Just picked up an 07 Dodge 2500 4X4 6 speed with the mega cab.What are some of the mods to get better milage out off it? Got about 18 on the way home yesterday (500 miles).
Jay

Cold air intake, new chip ( I used the Juice with Attitude) in my '06 Dodge. Loved the power, so sometimes it will affect your gas mileage. I understand that you can do some exhaust mods that help it breath and increases mileage, but I don't have any first hand experience.

before you mod it up to much i would dump some money into the front end and tranny if not a standard tranny. both of these are known for being junk on these trucks. i have an 07 as well. and the tie rods are junk had one snap on me due to a ungreasable part that the grease seizes up in. the tranny is not the toughest built due to bad packing. the motor is awesome and will give you as much as you need. but modify it right or pay for it in the long run

LAST EDITED ON Aug-09-12 AT 07:59PM (MST)[p]first off do you have the late 07 with the 6.7 cummins or a early 07 with the 5.9??

if you have a 6 speed manuel then you got a great tranny. they can hold some extra ponies.

i am guessing you have the 5.9 being able to 18 miles to the gallon.. the edge is good chip but its hard on your injectors. its a pressure box so it works the injectors a little harder. i myself run one and love the push of a button for on-demand power.

the best chip for a cummmins is the smarty. it is a programmer and there is so many tunning options for towing-performace-and milelage. go to diesel truck resource.com and you can find some info from others on how much they love it....

if you do have the 6.7 then i would look into the H&S peformace. its really the only option you got to do a DPF delete kit. doing the delete kit will allow better air-flow..

edge makes a chip just for better gas mileage. its called the edge miliage max. i tried one once before i went all high performace products and i got 1.5 miles more to the gallon hand caculated.

dont go by the lie-o-meter either. they lie. go by hand calcs. for gas mileage...

i would look into a cold air intake but dont spend 400 bucks for one. you can do your own for 15 bucks... simple are drilling a 4 inch hole bottom of your air intake box, drop a 4 inch pipe out of fender-well. use pvc- keep bottom with a female adapter to screw a cap for wet days. put a screen on top of pipe to keep critters out. and a good air filter. not a oil type filter kike k&n-stay away from those. this mod will pull a ton of air in. better than a 400 dollar intake...

here is the link for the home depot do it yourself air box mod.
http://www.dieseltruckresource.com/dev/home-deopt-cai-3rd-gen-t272967.html?&highlight=airbox+mod

It is the 6.7 I will have to check the milage next week on a trip to Oregon. On my 02 the computer was always low. What size is stock exhust? I bought it off a lot so no prev owner inputs.
Thanks
Jay

I always did the numbers to determine gas mileage when I filled up. I would consistently get 17-18 mpg around town. Most of the time it was pulling a 16' tandem axle enclosed trailer, and I got 14mpg around town. Much better than the gas Ford I drove before that, plus power to spare.

since you have the 6.7 i would really look into a DPF delete kit with H&S performace...your truck will run 10 times better and 10 times less problems.. and maybe a 4 inch exhaust with a new muffler. go from loud or some something quiet would be your choice. but MBRP, silvertip,magna-flo,dondalonson all make good exhaust systems...it would come down to a personal choice of what you want... i wouldnt go any bigger than 4 inch exhaust unless you plan to go well over 500hp.... you can go straight piped to, lol.

i went with a 4 inch exhaust from the turbo back. my cummins is a 03 and they never had a dumb catlyic converter so i took the huge muffler that restrticts air flow big time.. the truck ran so much cooler on my exhaust temps.... then i threw a magan-flo straight thru exhaust to restrict the loud sound but not the air flow. diesels dont need back pressure so thats why you can get by with out a muffler/catlyic converter...

your stock exhaust is 3 or 3/ 1/2 inches if i recall... 3 inches sounds right for some reason

nfh!

Better get your measuring tape out!

Most Diesels come Stock with bigger than 3" Pipe!

It's all that other Obama Approved BS that Restricts the flow & Mileage!

You shouldn't have wore the 03 out,I'm just talking from Experience myself!:D

Drove a Friends New Cummins the other day!

Nice Rig!

But Sure the Hell not Impressed by the Mileage or Power!

Ya,I know it's there waiting for a Guy but damn sure gonna need some Mods to get it!

The Obama Juice for even Dodges is on the way & in order Boys!

[font color=red size=redsize=18"face"]SHOW THEM TO ME![/font]
If You Love Your Country,SHOW THEM TO ME!

I've got Wild Honey Tree's and Crazy Little Weeds growin around my Shack!
These Dusty Roads ain't streets of gold but I'm happy right where I'm at!
All these Perty little Western Belles are a Country Boys Dream!
They ain't got Wings or MM Halo's but they sure look good to me!

my 03 is far from wore out. never have a problem yet with all those mods i run. but i got upgrades that can handle the extra power...

i know in the 6.7 they had a fairly small exhaust. i know its not a 4 inch. cummins did a few back in the 03-05 era with a stock 4 inch. a true 4 inch from the turbo..i havent crawled under the 6.7 to see the stock exhaust. i know the tip flares out to 3 1/2..

that h&s tuner will allow for that obama crap to come off....

im not to impressed with the new ones myself. cummins finally had a good auto tranny though. big step from the 47re,48re crap. the new ones have more tourqe then the ford and chevy but 50 hp behind. but its so easy to modify a cummins to perform other trucks and the cummins motor can handle the extra power very well. but i think in 2013 the cummins will be adding the stupid obama juice.

If I could Buy a New 03 today I'd be Happy!

Anything any Newer they can keep em!

[font color=red size=redsize=18"face"]SHOW THEM TO ME![/font]
If You Love Your Country,SHOW THEM TO ME!

I've got Wild Honey Tree's and Crazy Little Weeds growin around my Shack!
These Dusty Roads ain't streets of gold but I'm happy right where I'm at!
All these Perty little Western Belles are a Country Boys Dream!
They ain't got Wings or MM Halo's but they sure look good to me!

Take your stock exhaust off and put 4" on
will jump your mileage up 1 or 2 miles a gallon and up your power band a little.
we do them all the time.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".
>[Font][Font color = "green"]Life member of
>the MM green signature club.[font/]

Hey nfh

Not to thread jump.. I modified my 07 5.9 with chip, air box, and exhaust. Everything is good but the 4" turbo back that I bought has a real tractor loud and drone sound (4").
Needing to quiet things down and was looking into hush power or flow master.. Any advice? I don't really want to restrict if possible.
Thanks.

Oh yeah I heard the stock pressure plates and clutch's cannot handle the chipped power especially when towing- maybe something to look into

look into the dondalson muffler. a straight through muff will take that drone out. i have heard some cummins with the 51" and it sounds pretty mean still. it will still have a little noise to it but not that drone. i have the magna-flo straight thru and its just as loud as straight pipe with a ton of drone...i have never heard of hush power or flow master on a cummins yet but im sure if you go to youtube and type in brands of mufflers on a cummins you could get a pretty good idea.. for extra sound i like it when the silencer ring is taken out of the turbo for that extra whistle..

the 6 speed manauel NV5600 can hold that extra power alot better than the 47re or 48re as long as you dont do super power take offs every day and all day. the autos cant hold much past stock power. but then again some guys get a million miles on them and the next cant make out the driveway without a problem.

what kind of chip are you running???

OK, once again, for the record, there is NO "g" in Cummins!

If you're talking about cumming you need to be in the "medical miracle" thread. Otherwise leave the G out, please.

LMAO NVB I was guilty of the same thing, but I bought a 2011 6.7 and bought a complete delete kit from sinister deisel which included, EGR, DPF delete kit and a mini max tuner, and now I average 20 MPG empty and 14 MPG towing.

I run a juice w/ attitude and try to keep it on mileage mode.. Thing seems to run really smooth on leve 3 (drive) mode.

nfh- I was readin your other tire thread. Did u make a decision? I am due for new ones as well- currently been running the "Hankook"- not real stoked on towing with them either.

Gotta tow out to Casper for an antelope trip in October... May try to be cheap with what I got for now!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom