081 Muzzy Deer Report

Horniac

Very Active Member
Got back late Tuesday night after hunting the opener. Got there last Thursday afternoon so we were able to get in an evening and a full day of scouting before the Saturday opener. After seeing only one group of does crossing the road right out of camp Thursday night we were a little disappointed. Friday my cousin and I covered 160 miles on my RZR looking for concentrations of does figuring the bucks would be close. The majority of the hunting unit seemed to be devoid of deer and we figured that we hadn't got much migration yet and we were basically hunting resident deer (which is what I expected based on the weather to date). We finally found an area with some deer and found a few small bucks. Almost all the doe groups had bucks tending them and the rut looked to be in full swing. We got some snow for the opener Saturday and went back to the area we had found the deer. Saw a few new bucks but nothing over about 22" wide. Not something we wanted to shoot on the opener. The next day, more snow and howling wind we hunted the same spot and the same draw was loaded with deer. There were about 8 bucks with about 30 does and one I contemplated shooting. Well, the wind was not in our favor, the does got nervous and lined out with the bucks in tow.

4b0f08f97f28e115.jpg

We never saw much in the evenings branching out into new areas and as you all know legal shooting time ends at sunset right about when the deer start moving. Monday we hunted the same spot hoping for some new bucks to show up as it was the only area in the unit we could find any deer. We found more deer but a lot of the doe groups now were without bucks. Some bucks were with does, some bucks were cruising most likely looking for receptive does, and some bucks had now formed small bachelor groups. Monday night we hunted another area and we found another pocket of deer with a few small 4x4's. Tuesday morning back to the same spot we had been hunting and the deer had moved off the top down onto the south facing slopes and there seemed to be a lot more does. Go 1/2 mile though in any direction and no deer although the country looks the same as the country the deer are using. It has been a wierd hunt so far and I have not quite got things figured out. I scouted the unit back in September and there don't seem to be many more deer around now than then. Rut seems to have peaked. Not many people aound and you could travel 50 miles on the snow covered roads and not cut a single deer track crossing the road. It was a cold son-of-a-gun too boot and there was still a few inches of snow on the mountains when we left. Not enough to get the migration going I don't think unless you subsribe to the biological clock theory. Going back a week from Saturday to hunt the last 5 days of the season. Weather forecast doesn't look good for us muzzy hunters but you rifle hunters have more snow in the forecast. Hope this helps some of you with a muzzy/rifle tag and if anyone has any theories/ideas/suggestions I would love to hear them. PM me if you want.

Thanks and Happy Thanksgiving to everyone and their families!

4b0f0a1706a2d735.jpg

Horniac

I have thought of putting my wife in for this hunt. When your all done with your season let me know how you liked it. Thanks and good luck!

http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p248/nv_hunter/nevadaanimatedhelmetwd2.gif[/IMG]

LAST EDITED ON Dec-01-09 AT 06:28PM (MST)[p]The does like to hang out near water tanks, springs and other water sources. During the rut the bucks will be close.
Another tip, everywhere you are glassing deer go that extra bit to glass the spots that you can't see. For instance, climb and look over those mountains and into the draws where there are no roads or the spots people can't see from the road. Look into those bowls that cannot be seen from the road. Walk down the slope and look into those places that cannot be seen from the road. By now you see a pattern. Last year I hunted this unit with a friend and found the bucks in places that are out of the way and cannot be seen from the road or required some walking or climbing. These deer know where they see people and where to get out of sight.
I really like the first picture with the rocks behind you. Goodluck, fatrooster.

Horniac;

Good chat man. Thanks. Have you seen the weather report? It may still help you/us! Good luck.

nocal

Hey buddy just wonderin how the hunt went? I have a few buds from wendover hunting in that area. I had the late archery deer tag in that area last year, and helped my buddy get a deer late archery this year in that area.

............YY
.......___Q
...../(....)
......//..\\

Hey kevin just wonderin how your hunt went also? I missed ya when I went to check on my dads place.

............YY
.......___Q
...../(....)
......//..\\

Nevada Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Big Bucks & Bulls Timberline Outfitters Guide Service

Customized and high quality eastern Nevada trophy hunts for mule deer, elk and antelope.

Western Wildlife Adventures

We offer some excellent mule deer and elk hunts in northeast Nevada.

Currant Creek Outfitters

Nevada, big bucks and big bulls! We hunt for quality not quantity.

Nevada Outfitters & Guides Association

Find guides and outfitters for mule deer, elk, sheep, chuckar, fishing, & more!

SilverGrand Outfitters

Successfully guiding in Nevada for many years. Mule deer, elk, antelope and bighorn sheep hunts.

Hidden Lake Outfitters

Specializing in trophy mule deer hunts along with elk, mountain goat, antelope and mountain lion.

G&J Outdoors

Full time outfitter with 20+ years hunting mule deer, sheep, elk, antelope, lion and chukar.

Mountain Man Outfitters

Offering world class mule deer hunts in some of the most productive units in Nevada.

Nevada High Desert Outfitters

Rocky mountain goats, desert, rocky and california bighorn, mule deer, antelope and elk hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

If you want an unguided hunt but can't draw your tags, you need to call us.

White River Guide Service

50 years of guiding experience! Mule deer, elk, sheep and cougar.

Back
Top Bottom