'09 Off Range Oryx

IChaseCoues

LAST EDITED ON May-26-09 AT 06:14PM (MST)[p]Finally!

After 7 days hunting we finally found 2 animals on "our" side of the fence. They are getting harder to find off the range. I was just sure this would be a 2 day hunt after doing it in 2 days the last three times I've been with people that had tags. Tried 2 different areas and ended up finding some tracks crossing the road this past Sunday. Tracked them for a little over half a mile until I found 2 animals, and shot the first one that presented a shot. Shot at 250 yards with a 7 WSM and 180 Berger. The Berger worked great.

He's 35" and 35 3/4".
DSCF8518.JPG

The crew. Myself, my dad and my son.
It was a treat to have a 3 generation hunt.
Dad had a license as well, but did not tag out. His goal was to find me one as he already has killed two 36 inchers.
Thanks Dad.

DSCF8521.JPG

The next generation. I am proud of him. He got up in the morning with little grumbling, paid attention to what was going on, didn't complain, and only got bored a couple of times. He's turning into a real hunter at 8 yrs old.

DSCF8525.JPG

Congrats man. Great animal for a tough hunt. Also, good to see the family in on the hunt. Thanks for sharing, Cody

Congrats, tell the family Michael said hi! Got to get up to Mosquero to pick up my deer out of your dads basement.

Very nice oryx especially for an off base hunt. Very cool that you were able to take your kid along for the hunt. Can't wait unitl March when it is my turn to go.

Nice bull especially for an off range hunt. And you are right they are getting tougher to find outside the fence.