1-1 Moose

mpaulson44

Hey guys, gonna be hunting 1-1 moose this year. Super excited to get up that way and start scouting and running cams. I'm a novice to the moose game and am hoping to touch bases with some experienced moose hunters and just try and gain a quick education on moose hunting if you will. Any tips as far as strategy for summer scouting and during the October hunt would be greatly appreciated. With the snow melting its only a matter of time before I'm up there and getting boots on the ground. A couple things I'm wondering about right off the bat is if the moose population is somewhat elevation sensitive. Checking out topo shows quite a few higher elevation basins, are these a scouting priority? Or perhaps should most of my time be spent scouting relatively close to the lakes and marshes regardless of elevation? Anyhow any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

I have killed 2 moose so I wouldn't call myself an "expert" by any means. However, I was taught some lessons by these big "dumb" animals. Firstly, they are only dumb when they want to be. I put a stalk, with a decoy up, on 2 bulls that were with a cow during mid-September. They were aggressive towards each other probably because of the cow. However, they wanted nothing to do with this camo-clad dude carrying a decoy and were as spooky as a couple of whitetails. So, TIMING is EVERYTHING. If I had just 2 weeks to get it done, I wouldn't bother with September at all, go when they are most likely dumb in October. Secondly, I narrowed down my search to two areas that consistently had moose, both had big meadows and willow stands. It was virtually a waste of time going anywhere else as I never found any moose other than these 2 areas, and at least one had moose in it most the time. Once I figured this out, I would drive and glass these two meadows (they were huge meadows a mile or longer and half-mile or more wider) waiting for the right moose, which as stated earlier usually wasn't the right moose in September (cows only except those two bulls). Lastly, talk to everyone you find out there recreating. I never saw this one particular bull but had guys hunting deer (in this area of Wyoming it started Sept. 15) that kept seeing a bull which led me to my location 2. Again, I personally didn't see a bull there but a few cows.

I would look for past rutting sign as in rubs that you can identify as moose, usually big trees that the rub doesn't go up as high as a real big bull elk. Droppings, and start monitoring the cow moose. If they have calves, they will like certain areas and you'll see them frequently.

When I finally killed my bull, he was walking across the huge meadow in place number 1. It was in mid-October, he was well ahead of us too far to kill and got into the timber before we got there. He heard us breaking deadfall as we walked into the timber after him. He came grunting into 10 yards, my cousin kept yelling shoot shoot as he came closer 80, 60, 20... I told her, "He'll come right to us". I wish I had my bow when I shot him at 10 yards.

26893.jpeg

Last edited:

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Idaho Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Idaho Deer & Elk Allocation Tags, Plus Bear, Bison, Lion, Moose, Turkey and Montana Prairie Dogs.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail, bear, lion and wolf hunts and spend hundreds of hours scouting.

Jokers Wild Outdoors

Trophy elk, whitetail, mule deer, antelope, bear and moose hunts. 35k acres of private land.

Back
Top Bottom