1" 100 yard groups

Gudari

I was wondering if all of these 1" groups are coming from guys with scopes or are they waaaayyyy better shots than me and doing it with open sights? I am shooting a T/C Triumph with Barnes 290 T-EZ and 100 grains of 777 pellets. Going to buy some BH 209 soon and try that out. Regardless, I don't think it's my powder, just tired of the mess...I don't see my mid 20's eyes being able to pull it off.

I have shot several sub 1" groups with peep sights. Shooting small groups with "open" sights takes a lot of doing. First you need a gun and load that is capable of doing it. I am not a fan of T7. I have never used BH209. I am also not a fan of pellets. You can't tune a load with them. Most of my guns like 80 gr of Pyrodex P you can't get there with a pellet. Bullets are not all equal and not all of them can get there.

2250Group_2_small.jpg
11-24-07--_45-70_small.jpg

Sights are very important. If the front sight is too big you just can "aim small". The sights I use are a Lyman 57 SML peep and a Lyman 17 AML. I use a Lee Shavers Long range BPCR inserts for the 17 AML.

2250Sight_picture.jpg

A lot of things add up to a gun shooting 1" groups I am confident in a gun that will shoot 1 1/2" groups. Ron

500SW3-22-08small.jpg

Once again Ron comes through with a wealth of knowledge and pictures to illustrate his point. Thanks for your help! I will let you know when I make some positive progress.

Consistency is the key to accuracy. Proper repeatable form is as much of a factor as the proper load recipe. Look at high power shooters, they shoot 1000 yards with open sights. I can't do it but some can. Personally, I have no use for open sights. I use optics.

I have not had problems getting MOA accuracy with 3 different guns (TC Black Diamond, Rem 700, custom Rem 700) using 150 gr of Pyrodex pellets, musket caps, and PR QT40 bullets. When I went to 209 primers, the groups opened up to 3".

Finding the proper recipe for your gun can be challenging. I have been messing with a Knight Disc Elite .50 cal for years to find a combination that will shoot at the speeds I want as accurate as I want. So, I hear ya. By the way, a recipe of 100-120 gr of BH209, SST 250 or 300 in a Harvestor sabot, shoot great in both my Omega and Triumph. This load is popular with many TC shooters on ML forums.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom