1 gun/scope/caliber to do it all

I

Idahotrophyhunter

Obviously it would be a shame to only have 1 gun/caliber/scope to hunt with, but save Dangerous 6 in Africa, I think I have come close.

A .300 ultra mag, remington 700 stainless, with a Schmidt Bender 2.5-10X40. The gun is tough, durable, and accurate. The cartridge will suit anything from Antelope through Brown Bear with lazor like trajectory ( especially with a 26' barrel). The scope is probably the best 1" scope made today, as good as optics as one can get and a broad magnification range. Well at least for me this is 1 gun/scope/caliber do-all for Most the world.

711.300_ultra.jpg

Ridgeline Outdoors Hunt Staff.

A 10+ pound rifle would never work for me. I'm thinkin more like a NULA m24 in 30-06 with a plain jane Leupold vx 3 3.5-10. If you would'nt have thrown those damn Grizzlys in there I would have said a 308 win :)

"A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."

I'm with Hardway on the weight. But no need to exclude all the Big Six because that rifle would handle both lion and leopard quite nicely...

Nice rig.

I killed my Grizzly with a .280 stone dead in his tracks. But I also have a .300 RUM and love it.

I'm about right with ya only cheaper and less powder!....300 Win Mag in Rem 700 Stainless with a 3.5-10x50 Leupy. I figure I can knock down anything this side of the pond, and a few things over on the other side.

What's that old saying about being scared of a man with 1 gun...cause he knows how to use it?..

"...I'd rather be tried by twelve than carried by six..."

One gun why only one gun... Yea its too long and heavy for my hunting. I would go with a 22 inch 06 in a winchester. :)

If there is any proof of a man in a hunt it is not whether he killed a deer or elk but how he hunted it.

If I had to hunt with one gun I would want something a little bigger than a 30 cal for brown bears. I think something in 338 would work. Nice gun thanks for sharing.

I've been hunting with your "one gun" for about 10 years now. Only mine wears a Leupold, and although I'll never hunt Africa, or Alaska for big bears, I bet there isn't a critter in either place I can't kill with my rifle. mtmuley

By the way this set up weighs less than 9 pounds so its not that bad...And a 200 grain Swift A Frame at 3075 FPS, is pretty reasurring in those touchy situations.

Adam

Thats a great setup adam!! How does it shoot? Have you bedded that stock or adjusted the trigger? Those are the first things I like to do to all m700.

6564r700th.jpg

Rem700 SS
30.06 Lilja 25" #5 Fluted SS
168 Berger VLD Hunting 3050fps
HS Thumb Hole Stock
Burris Signature Select 3-10x40 Ball-Plex

Would not trade her for anything else out there. Ammo is available everywhere in many different loads if handloads are not an option. Scope has served well over some very rough country and very hard hunting. SS action and barrel is well suited anywhere. Thumb Hole stock makes shooting very smooth. Bear? Wouldn't worry one bit as she shoots where it aims. Sure she's not a new hot rod round but the 06 has been around and proven herself well.

GOD BLESS THE USA

>When the WSM hype was in
>full swing I went out
>and bought a 30-06.

When a buddy put 3 in the Boiler Room of a 9 foot brown bear with a 30.06 and it ran off, the guide finished it with a Ultra Magnum.

Adam

>>When the WSM hype was in
>>full swing I went out
>>and bought a 30-06.
>
>
>When a buddy put 3 in
>the Boiler Room of a
>9 foot brown bear with
>a 30.06 and it ran
>off, the guide finished it
>with a Ultra Magnum.
>
>
>Adam
>Ridgeline Outdoors Hunt Staff.

The bear must have know those bullets came from a smaller case....seriously? Unless you tell me it was waaaaaay out there....like 500yds plus I'm callin bullchit. If it took 3 + 1, it could have took 3 from the ultra and I could have finished it off with a 223.

"A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."

>>When the WSM hype was in
>>full swing I went out
>>and bought a 30-06.
>
>
>When a buddy put 3 in
>the Boiler Room of a
>9 foot brown bear with
>a 30.06 and it ran
>off, the guide finished it
>with a Ultra Magnum.
>
>
>Adam
>Ridgeline Outdoors Hunt Staff.

Is there a point here?

I want pictures or I'm still callin BS. The story was probably more like....... The shooter was shooting crappy 165gr corelokts the first shot looked a little far back but definatley caught a lung....the bear started running and he launched 2 more that looked good but cant be sure. After tracking the bear the guide fired one well placed shot through both lungs and finished the bear. So now only a 375ultra will do.

If you really think anyone will believe the guy put 3 shots from a 30-06 in the vitals with a quality bullet and the bear still ran off....And I'm talkin RAN OFF as in not a 25yd death run but only wounded it......You cant be helped.

What will you do when you hear a story of some dork launchin 3 rounds out of the 375 ultra and not gettin it done......700 Nitro????? :)

It sounds like a nice rig if a bit heavy. I don't know about the load. I shot a weatherby 30-378 and think it's a little
too much.Is that close in recoil and preformance?

My entry is a Kimber Montana in .325 WSM with a Kahles
3-9 by 42mm scope. 24" bbl - control-round-feed 3-position safety and sweet trigger. Light is right for me!

I do agree with 30-06 and .280 REM folks as with proper
loads and any quality glass they can do it all.

As for the muliti hits with the 06 on the Bear......
sometimes a critter just dose'nt know he is dead!

My .280 with fail safe loads has made more one shot kills on
ELK (3) deer (3) hog (1)

My brothers custom .300 WIN shooting nos.partitions put 4 in
a large bull elk before it went down. If you don't break a bone
and the critter is fired up, they will run!

LAST EDITED ON Sep-15-10 AT 01:13AM (MST)[p]

WORLD'S RECORDS ALASKA BROWN BEAR

SCORE: 30 12/16
HUNTER: Roy Lindsley
OWNER: Los Angeles Co. Mus.
DATE: 1952

KEY MEASUREMENTS:
Greatest length of skull without lower jaw: 17 15/16
Greatest width of skull: 12 13/16

shot with a 30-06....

I might add, Phil Shomaker used a 30-06 last year as his back-up gun while guiding brownies, and used it sorting out a wounded Brownie in the alders..There's no bigger endorsement than that.

P1000718w.jpg

"Do it all"

For me, do it all isn't doing very much in the way of "bigger" stuff. I suppose i could be talked into a special trip for Elk or Moose but i'm not gathering any points to do so. There's no plan or dream of a Canadian or Alaskan hunt either. I hunt Bucks!

Do it all, to me means taking bucks under a wide variety of situations. Long shots from one canyon rim across 500yds to another or jumping a buck from its bed in close cover. I want a gun that i'm not afraid of, one that i can shoot targets and compete with at the local range against other hunters. It has to be accurate, -1", flat shooting, and have plenty of retained energy out to the range that i feel i can still feel 100% of the time, that i can put it where it counts.

After 45 plus years of shooting most of the cartridges out there in a wide variety of manufactures wares, i've come to the conclusion that for what i'm doing and the country that i'm doing it in, the mighty mid's are just the ticket!

I include but don't limit the mighty Mids to be; the 264 WinMag,
6.5x284, 280AI, 7mmRem Mag, 270WSM, 7WSM, and 270 Weatherby Mag.

With "good" bullets and a gun that fits, plenty of practice, and a certain level of confidence gained, any of these mighty middle of the road buck busters can also take care of any occasional trip for the bigger stuff up to but maybe not including the big bear

I like a straight 6 power scope for a all around user gun. Some guys can't pick up stuff close in with the 6 but i've never had that problem myself and have done so a lot. I'm usually inclined more these days to go with a variable scope, one that goes to 10 or 12X. I do like the idea of zooming in for longer shots on game and also for the needed "bench time" that goes with the program.

My scopes are by Leopold, Redfield, and Burris, good scopes for not a lot of money. Last years Wy trip we had worse than bad weather and i took my muley buck in a situation that made most optics unusable. My Burris scope though was clear and functioning, it allowed me to take a good buck when we could hardly even look at him through our glasses and a rangefinders use was out of the question. That scope is a Signature series 3X12, a good one!

So, for what i do, my all around gun that does it all is a SS Win Mod 70 with a controlled feed action in 270WSM and a Burris scope. Not a bad outfit for the guy who is nuts about hunting Bucks, like me! :)

Joey

If I could have only one gun to do it all....it would be a pre-64 Winchester 30.06 with one of my Leopold 4-12 fine duplex scopes mounted on it. I know a guy that has the rifle and it is a shooter....made in the late 50's

>If I could have only one
>gun to do it all....it
>would be a pre-64 Winchester
>30.06 with one of my
>Leopold 4-12 fine duplex scopes
>mounted on it. I know
>a guy that has the
>rifle and it is a
>shooter....made in the late 50's
>

Amen. BTW, mine's late 40's.

>>If I could have only one
>>gun to do it all....it
>>would be a pre-64 Winchester
>>30.06 with one of my
>>Leopold 4-12 fine duplex scopes
>>mounted on it. I know
>>a guy that has the
>>rifle and it is a
>>shooter....made in the late 50's
>>
>
>
>
>Amen. BTW, mine's late
>40's.

I love those guns, uncle Rog shoots it only it rocks a old Weaver. Hoping to be remembered in the will. Because of it I too use the '06, in the A-bolt with a VXII 3x9. Good accuracy, tough as nails, not to expensive to take a beating, light weight. I like the idea of being able to find ammo in any C- store in the west, just in case. Plus, I am a sentimental guy and I want to be one of those old dudes still using the same gun he shot as a kid. I got mine when I was 16, 20 years later, dad is gone, but that gun he got for me isn't so a piece of him is always with me in the forest.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom