10/22 Heavy Barrels

J

jim3

Hello all, I was wondering if anyone had any advice on what brand of heavy barrel I should look at for my 10/22. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!!!!!

LAST EDITED ON May-06-08 AT 08:59PM (MST)[p]Jim3;

There are a few bull barrels for the Ruger 10-22 out there. They will run you in cost from $94.00 to over $300.00.
The one I purchased about 10-12 years ago is a Butler Creek with the "Bentz" match chamber. the blue non fluted version is $104.00 and the fluted blued one is $160.00. I matched it with a Hogue over moulded stock and this is my squirrel-rabbit rifle.
With Winchester T-22 target ammo, this rifle will place 5 shots into 1/2 inch at 50 yards everytime I have shot it from a bench rest. Most target ammo is very expensive, except for the Winchester T-22 which you can get for about 30-32 bucks for a brick of 500.
One reason I wanted the "Bentz" match chamber is that most match chambers will not handle high velocity ammo like the "stinger". The bullet nose will jam into the chamber mouth. The Bentz 11% chamber mouth will prevent this and allow you to use high velocity ammo without any problems. My gun will still keep the high velocity stingers in 3/4" groups at 50 yards.
You can get the higher priced barrels and they will group slightly better, but the Butler Creek will give you superb accuracy for alot less money. also being able to use HV ammo without jams is nice to have if you need it.

RELH
P.S. When I bought the Butler-Creek barrel and Hogue stock, they were being sold by Brownell's as a kit and the stock & barrel was only $130.00 bucks for both. I got the Ruger 10-22 as a prize for taking first place in my class at a state wide pistol match in Sac. CA. The least amount of money in any of my rifles, and one of the best for hunting small game and accuracy.

LAST EDITED ON May-07-08 AT 02:13AM (MST)[p]That's a very broad statement about Lilja being the best. There are quiet a few match shooters out there that will tell you they prefer a "Hart" , "Clark" as being the best 10-22 barrel over the Lilja. Bottom line all those brands carry a heft price tag of 350 bucks or more. I also know quiet a few shooters that use the 10-22 in matches and they will tell you that they prefer the Shilen match barrel because it also has the 11 degree Bentz match chamber and is less prone to jams, which is a very important matter in matches.
I think that 1/2 inch will be sufficent enought for most hunters on this forum and saving about 200 bucks will appeal to them. The "Snob appeal" of having the best is not for everyone, especially when that "best" may be in doubt.

RELH

Green Mountain makes a great barrel for a reasonable price. If you are looking for something lighter Whistlepig and Tacsol make some excellent aluminum barrels. Whatever you do stay away from the Butler Creek Carbon Fiber barrels. I have heard a lot of bad reports about them. Their steel barrels, on the other hand, should be fine. If you decide to go with carbon fiber go with the Volquartsen? pricey, but very good. Anything you could ever want to know about 10/22's can be found on rimfirecentral.com. I recommend you go browse a bit. There are many people there that are much more knowledgeable than I. Good Luck!

It's weird how a gun safe soon gets full even though it was plenty big when you bought it. That said, i'm thinking that there just has to be room to squeeze in a 10/22 that not only looks decent but shoots.

I like what RELH has to say above, 1/2" at 50yds would be very nice and price, for me, is always an issue. A 4" 460 S&W and a semi-trick 10/22, that's it, my list to get. Someday soon i hope,... Thanks!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom