10 Preferance points for deer. Suggestions?

whtelk

I have 10 Pref. points for deer and I am a resident. Any suggestions on a better than average unit? I was also thinking about splitting the points and letting my friend put in with me, are there any units that is worth hunting with 5 points?

Without knowing what kind of hunting you like it is difficult to say. The late buck hunts are what I would look at but if you are splitting points with a friend who has none, there is almost no difference in quality of tags from between 2 points and 6. I would say the area closest to home so can spend more scouting time in the area before the season.

I am a cross over hunter and have been for 30 years. So archery late hunt or rifle, I am good enough with both...I cant spell profcieant. But if there truely isn't any good rifle hunts that we could draw with 5 points I won't be splitting my points.

LAST EDITED ON Dec-16-08 AT 01:33PM (MST)[p]Here is what I would do....Lookout Mountain if you split points, Mt Emily Late rut hunt if you dont. But this is coming from a guide that has hunted in both units in 2008. Check out the bucks we got in both units.
Go to the mule deer page for pics.

Bob Staples
Blue Mountain Adventures.com

The East Hebo rut hunt would be my first choice Dennis. I might know a spot or two where a big ole Cascade Blacktail hangs out! ;)

TK

Splitting points? I didn't think you could do that in Oregon? I thought if you applied for a hunt that only took 5 and you had more than that, you burned all of them. Or am I mis-understanding what you meant by splitting points?

This means if I apply with a person having zero points we would go into the draw with 5 each as a party.

Whtelk: I would look at the Metolius Archery hunt if you are looking for an archery tag. If you are looking for a rifle tag look at the MT Emily.... I would not waste your points on the Hart MT tag as that unit has really slipped in the last few years...

Man, don't burn yourself. Go for the Mt Emily late tag. I have 11 points I plan on trying to draw the tag to shoot a hog. there are not alot of oppotunities to shoot a trophy in this state . Use your points wisely, we are all aging yearly and the points are precoius.
Good luckon your decision.
Take your buddy along to film the hunt of a lifetime.

Just some food for thought. I contacted ODFW after the previous season on a question I had about one of my draws. (Or lack of) I was told that they quit taking preference points at 12. In other words. Anyone with 12 or less didn't draw that tag. So be sure to have a back-up plan. And be careful about "burning" your points.

How true Richard, we are getting older fast!! if I had to wait ten plus years to draw another tag I would be 60.

With all of the people now putting in it will soon take 20 years to draw the coveted tags in Oregon...

I agree with those that are against splitting your points but I'm considering splitting my elk points with my fiance but there is a difference, at least I got her one point last year AND I sleep with her. :)

LAST EDITED ON Jan-25-09 AT 09:46AM (MST)[p]With 10 points I'd be looking hard at the late White River hunt myself.

With 5 points you're not much better off than 2 points, you might get a unit that's has a better camping spot is about it.

Back
Top Bottom