Need help with a very good problem to have

callsalot

Hey Fellow Oregon MM. I have 23 resident points for deer but I don't want to draw any unit this year as a first choice. Typically I would pick a unit I don't have enough points to draw so I would get my point, then list a second choice for a eastern Oregon bow deer unit I could get as a second choice so I would have a tag. Problem is I don't see any units I wouldn't draw now. I don't think you can put in for a bonus point as first choice and then another unit as second choice.
Any suggestion on how to get my point and put in for a second choice when it looks like I have enough points to draw any unit I would put in for now. Hope that makes since and any suggestions are appreciated.

You want to draw a second choice tag, you’re gonna have to play and put a valid hunt down as your first. No second choice with a point saver option.

Yep, have to have a first choice before you can have a second.

I can see why you don't want to burn that many points the way deer hunting is now, but I think if you're hoping for things to get better before you use them you're in for disappointment.

I don’t know Oregon. But I take it there’s no turning a drawn tag back for any reason?
Not really. There are plenty of ways to not have the tag, but drawing the tag is the trigger for when you lose your points. The only way to get your points back would be some kind of extenuating circumstance that ODFW approves (ie can’t hunt at all, regardless of tag). My FIL got points back one year due to an injury.

Not sure how OR works but could you put in as a party? Most states will either average you or drag you down to lowest point level. We used to have to do that in ND as they didn’t have a points only option but apply parties at lowest point level.

You could use the party app to do it. 23 points with someone with zero would be 11 points. plenty of tags you wouldn't draw with that. never thought about how to have less points before so that's a new angle.

Still doesn't change the fact there's no deer tag worth 23 points today and there won't be a hunt worth 32 down the road.

True, but your immediate problem can be fixed.He asked us how to not draw a tag with max points and we gave him options…
Do we have to do everything?🤪

You could use the party app to do it. 23 points with someone with zero would be 11 points. plenty of tags you wouldn't draw with that. never thought about how to have less points before so that's a new angle.

Still doesn't change the fact there's no deer tag worth 23 points today and there won't be a hunt worth 32 down the road.
Isn’t one worth 11 either

Hey guys, I appreciate the feedback. It's true that no deer hunt in Oregon is worth that amount of points. So my son and I together have enough points to average and draw Warner unit which we will probably do next year. It's not in the cards for him this year plus I have an elk and deer hunt already lined up for this year "I have a lot of points in a lot of states" The pick a person to average with that would take me below the needed points to draw is a perfect solution. Thanks very much for the idea!!!!!!

You can pick up a lot of the deer tags as left overs if you still want to deer hunt. Most of the timbered units have plenty of deer to be had but the hunting is tougher since you can't glass them up.

Back
Top Bottom