New to Unit 21

hotairgypsy

I am born and raised here in NM and have primarily hunted up north...unit 6a 6c since we have a cabin up there...well results just came in and my 4th choice was SW and I am the proud owner of a Muzzleloader hunt Unit 21 tag...well hell mel...i dont even know where that is :) so got some learning to do...I am coming from Albuquerque so any info and guidance would be appreciated...not looking for anyone's honey hole...i respect fellow hunters too much to ask...BUT Advice as to where to setup camp since I am pulling my trailer there for starters...I was lucky enough to draw a tag and my other half did also..She is legal to shoot from the vehicle and has all her handicap stuff in with the state of NM...so I would like some idea where I can take here there so it is not so rough on her. We both have muzzleloader tags

21 is rough and dry and mostly low country. Desert. Not much road access either. To be honest I cannot think of anywhere where you would get an opportunity from a vehicle except for sheer luck. Hope you guys do well though. Good luck!

I saw a nice buck and about 5 does from the truck in that unit in Feb last year. They were in a canyon off the road not far below that big air traffic control building in the Uvas mountains. With that said, I don't think you will have an easy time as the above poster suggested. I spent a decent bit of time in those mountains and that one time was the only time I've seen deer.

I've never hunted deer in 21 but I think there are probably better options closer to the Gila by Hillsboro and whatnot. Maybe I'm wrong though. That's probably where I'd look if I had a tag for that unit.

i will take all input...one thing we are doing is taking my side by side so that should get us in one some trails...i will check with the game rangers for the do's and don'ts there...i am not a rebel trying to cause issues and act like i own the place...all input is welcomed

Might want to stay in the more open areas such as the Uvas or other hill areas towards Kingston and points south. I have seen bucks on the side of the roads in the forest but they don't tend to stick around long. Well, i do remember one small fork that did but i was elk hunting. Beware of the private once you get into the foothills of the Cuchillo's toward Winston and the Black Range. It is posted and patrolled. Good luck!

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom