10 Valuable Tuning Lessons Learned in a Day!

EROCK1313

So I finally got around to doing some tuning on my Admiral that I have had for two months just gatherin dust (busy with workin 2 jobs and had to wait for sight to be returned after service from Axcel) and I thought I would share some lessons learned so that another Archer can save a little heartache ant time:

Lesson 1: Be sure that your watch band end is tucked under either the strap or a wrist guard, otherwise you may have cable contact.

Lesson 2: Be sure that your new Wrist Sling is snug to your wrist and not catching on your cables.

Lesson 3: When tuning your arrow, be sure to check Fletching alignement. One thing to consider is, Arrow rotation BEFORE the arrow leaves the rest. I kept adjusting to a resting arrow before draw and wondering why i was getting contact when I verified that my arrow should clear by looking down the shaft towards the rest. The Admiral has some CRAZY cable overhang so I was concerned with clearance and kept having issues and bad Paper Tears. Finally, I just decided to go back to the basics and try the manufacturer setting of "Odd Vane Up" - VIOLA!!! "We have Clearance, Clarance!" This worked even though looking down the shaft made it look like the fletches would contact the cables etc. Can't believe it took me two hours to finally realize the Rotation Factor was more important than the Resting Factor for the arrow.

Lesson 4: Less is More. Tiny adjustments of 1/16" can mean a BIG difference when making adjustments. If you don't see any difference in tuning after some Fine adjustments, mark the spot and try a greater adjustment the opposite direction to see how the pattern changes and adjust accordingly.

Lesson 5: Keep facial hair trimmed OR non-existent to avoid Anchor Issues and/or String Contact upon Anchoring. This can cause some random paper tears and frustrations.

Lesson 6: Always check your string before, after, and during a shooting session or after a rough hike etc. I noticed half way though, that I had a strand or two on my cable that seemed a little severed that I didn't notice on my previous shooting session or string waxing. The Culprit in this case, may be that fact that I had added G5 Speed Studs and the may be contacting the Cable upon string release and oscillation. The only reason I suspect this, is because I sanded and repainted them Flo Green instead of the G5 Blue and there was a tiny spec of Flo Green paint fleck where the string was slightly severed.

Lesson 7: Powder Test! This is a GREAT indicator of ANY arrow contact in relation to bad tears. If you see a line on your arrow going down to the vane, you know you need to adjust your nock slightly. ALSO, spray the Powder Foot Spray not just all over the back 7"-8" of your arrow/fletchings (all Sides), but also liberally spray the Rest/containment arm (QAD type rests), shelf, Sight Window, and in my case; the cable/cable guard. Checking both the arrow and all of these components gives a good map of Arrow travel/contact.

Lesson 8: Good Form and check your bubble (axis adjustments). Bad form = poor Paper Tears. Be Consistant with form and also shoot a series of 3 times using the SAME ARROW to to verfiy the same tear happens each time and is not just a form issue instead of an adjustment issue.

Lesson 9: Mark everything! This can save you from making repeated adjustment errors and also is a great tool once Tuned to quickly verfiy an alighment issue etc! (White Out and a Fine Sharpie are your friends here!).

Lesson 10: Use a bright lipstick applied to vanes to verify contact. This is a great tool because it will leave a a thin streak line on anything as the arrow fletch passes over the rest and possibly in contact with anything else on the bow. It pin points location a little better than the Powder Test. ***This may be the most important issue I learned*** Why you may ask??? Because you need to also make sure that the lipstick you have applied on the vanes also does not make contact with your cheek before you get a chance to realize it before your Spouse or Girlfriend comes home and starts yelling explicatives and calling you names for no apparent reason. Save yourself the HEARTACHE and check the frighin mirror for lipstick marks on your face or clothes!

Hope I save someone some time when they having a tuning issue, by learning from my lessons and what I learned the hard way!

?-ERock-> ?

concerning lesson 3, your arrow will not be rotating before it leaves your rest. The nock has barely left the string (5-7 inches max) before it clears the rest. That does not give your vanes enough flight time to spin the arrow before it's clear.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom