10 year horizon, non-resident, best states to hunt

Outdoors

Some observers say the point systems have merely kicked the opportunity can down the road for anyone arriving after year 1 of a point system. Two classes of hunters are created in that state. The Max pool folks and everyone else.

Is it a dire situation for anyone not in a Max pool? Maybe. Maybe not.

Here is the scenario. You are a non-resident just starting to hunt and have the resources to apply to every western state for the next 10 years. You are in excellent condition. You began applying as of January 2013.

For each species of big game animal below, what is the most likely state where you will draw a tag within 10 years to rifle hunt where is likely to result in a shot opportunity on an animal that measures 90% or better of the B&C minimum.

Pronghorn
Whitetail deer
Mule deer
Elk
Moose-Shiras
Black bear
Bison
Mountain goat
Bighorn sheep

Interesting post I would say the same. I have a feeling that is too obvious interested in what it really is. From your posts I think you'll know.

One thing nobody talks about in the gloom and doom is the average age of the hunters relative to points. A lot of guys with max points are going to be way past sheep hunting age by the time they draw. I think younger guys have a better chance than they think they do. Hunting is hugely popular in the baby boomer generation, guys 50-60 years old that have the money to pay up for tags and guided hunts. When all those guys hang it up, prices are going to collapse and draw odds will shoot up. It might not be for 15-20 years, but start putting in now for some things and you'll be in the thick of it when it happens.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom