100 vs. 150 grains of pellets?

vanderb79

Buying a ML tomorrow (see previous post) and will be using pellets and a 300 gr Hornady sabot. Should I use 2 (100 gr) or 3 (150 gr) pellets? I have heard that accuracy suffers with the max load, but that's not making alot of sense to me. This will be for a (hopefully big) bull elk hunt.

Every gun likes different loads, some will shoot 150 grains just fine, but for the most part 100 grains will be more than enough. With a 150 grains and a 300 grain slug the flinch factor will come into play, in my opinion the only thing gained with 150 grains of powder is flatter shooting past 200 yards. For elk I would rather have a large bullet with lower velocities, than a light bullet at higher speeds. Just my two cents.

My elk load is 90 gr of BH 209 and a 350 gr Hornady FPB.

YOU DO NOT NEED MAGNUM LOADS. If I were you, I would get both 50s and 30s pellets. That way you can try 90, 100, and 110 gr. Shoot the one that is most accurate. Plenty of power to kill a bull with the right bullet. Staying away from magnum loads makes me more accurate (I flinch!) and it costs less!

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

Thanks for the replies...coinsidently, I went to Hornady's webpage and looked at their ballistic tables. They list ONLY 150 gr loads for both 250 and 300 gr bullets.

They recommend 3" high at 100 yards which will put you about 3" low at 200. I wonder what those numbers would be for a 100 gr of pellets?

I still plan to go pick up the CVA later today and will hit the range sometime this w/e.

LAST EDITED ON Oct-13-11 AT 03:26PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Oct-13-11 AT 03:26?PM (MST)

I used to use 150, now, I buy the Triple7 30's and use 4 of them for 120. My groups tightened up and it's a lot more pleasant to shoot. They are a little more expensive to shoot though.

I tried all kinds of different loads, and it turns out that 150 grains is what my particular rifle likes.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom