101-108 early rifle

unclebuck

Hi guys, Myself and my son drew this tag as our 4th choice as non residents. I've hunted Nevada on three other occasions but have not set foot in this area. I know this country will is rugged as hell and will kick your butt. I'm 56years old and can still hang with my 32 year old son pretty well.Not looking for monsters or anyone's honey holes. Just looking to see some new country and have a memorable time with my son. Any suggestions or input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks UB

Have fun with the other 2000 hunters. Lots of tags in 10 this year. It does get pretty congested in certain spots. I will tell you that Harrison Pass gets hammered. If you and your son are willing to hike, that will probably be your best bet for this hunt. Get away from the roads and start glassing. Have hunted the rubies my whole life. They are alot of fun and yes they can kick your arse. If you get out and hike, you should have a memorable hunt. Good Luck.

If the temperatures are warm the deer are on the top. Allot of walking. Purchase the National Forest map, it will show access points to get into the area. Hunt the access points in unit 101 and 102. From there hike upwards. There will be allot of hunters, as stated above, and they will all be on top with you. People in the Ruby's hike, so be prepared. You'll see allot of horse hunters. But, there is plenty of deer. Hope for a foot a snow before you get there. Less walking, they will come down a little. I've drawn 11 tags over the years and really enjoy the hunt. I too am getting a little older and hopefully I can still manage to get to the top. Good luck.

Thanks guys, I'm use to lots of company hunting here in Washington.Not that that's what I like. Sometimes it can work in your favor if you set up right.Are there areas you could set up a base camp and hike in each day,or would it be best to backpack in? Should I avoid the more popular areas and look for something off the beaten path. I'm going to try to make a scouting trip in July to at least familiarize myself with the area. UB

unclebuck: If its hot out backpack in and camp somewhere near the top of wherever you have chosen to hunt. If its snowy you make be able to do a hike in everyday to the snow line. This all depends on your physical ability. This hunt is not that easy of a hunt. Easy to draw but not an easy hunt. 101 and 102 are backpack/hike in hunts. 103, you make be able to use an atv to access areas. Purchace the Forest Service map for the Rubys, it will show access points. Harrison is overcrowded but there is deer there the first few days, til they scare them out. Concentrate on hunting 101 and 102. Most deer.

Nevada Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Big Bucks & Bulls Timberline Outfitters Guide Service

Customized and high quality eastern Nevada trophy hunts for mule deer, elk and antelope.

Western Wildlife Adventures

We offer some excellent mule deer and elk hunts in northeast Nevada.

Currant Creek Outfitters

Nevada, big bucks and big bulls! We hunt for quality not quantity.

Nevada Outfitters & Guides Association

Find guides and outfitters for mule deer, elk, sheep, chuckar, fishing, & more!

SilverGrand Outfitters

Successfully guiding in Nevada for many years. Mule deer, elk, antelope and bighorn sheep hunts.

Hidden Lake Outfitters

Specializing in trophy mule deer hunts along with elk, mountain goat, antelope and mountain lion.

G&J Outdoors

Full time outfitter with 20+ years hunting mule deer, sheep, elk, antelope, lion and chukar.

Mountain Man Outfitters

Offering world class mule deer hunts in some of the most productive units in Nevada.

Nevada High Desert Outfitters

Rocky mountain goats, desert, rocky and california bighorn, mule deer, antelope and elk hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

If you want an unguided hunt but can't draw your tags, you need to call us.

White River Guide Service

50 years of guiding experience! Mule deer, elk, sheep and cougar.

Back
Top Bottom