101-109 late season rifle best bets?

longshot loser

got a fist time 101-109 October 17th-30th hunt in rubys?2021 tag. what are some good options for getting a decent buck? where is the real question? have no idea ? any help would be great.

got a fist time 101-109 October 17th-30th hunt in rubys?2021 tag. what are some good options for getting a decent buck? where is the real question? have no idea ? any help would be great.
There is some great deer there, spend lots of time glassing

Hunted it last year. Pray for snow... a buddy and I hunted it the whole season that went Oct. 31st. To November 8th. Never glassed a buck, saw a buck or heard of a buck over 160 hunting all day every day for the season. Dates were much better last year too. My buddy is a mule deer freak DIY and has two walls of mounts to show for it. Tough hunt if you are looking for a trophy. Fun hunt if you are fine hunting 130-160 bucks in cool country. He ate tag soup because he didnt want a 3.5 year old buck. I took a decent 3x3 3.5 year old as a end of hunt buck. We found deer from 11k to 5k elevation range. We did find one 160 range buck first day that we had a chance on, that was it.

with snow getting them down off the mtn or starting them to migrate, it may be different. Good luck. We hunted mostly 102, with some 101 and 103 thrown in.

big bucks are a plus. just getting out in the good country and getting a solid buck is the goal. i have good bull and buck mounts all over the house. but always wanted to hunt the rubys.ill take any good hunt over a trophy hunt any.day. thanks for the info! where would i start and what type of camp do you run out of? base,pack in? horses?

big bucks are a plus. just getting out in the good country and getting a solid buck is the goal. i have good bull and buck mounts all over the house. but always wanted to hunt the rubys.ill take any good hunt over a trophy hunt any.day. thanks for the info! where would i start and what type of camp do you run out of? base,pack in? horses?
D, all of the above on type of hunter. We ran a camp and hiked in daily on this hunt because of the later seasons. When the top of the Rubies have snow, it can bunch them up more. If it’s hotter and dryer than normal, they can be anywhere on that mountain. Harrison pass is the classic starting point For the later season hunt.

Pray for snow but watch out for the wind storms that come with it. I hunted it the last two years and my son an I both took nice 4x4's 160-165 last year but the year before we did better.
PM me and I will give you a few places to try...

You might be able to get a 22 inch 4x4 on that tag, possibly better, if your lucky.

Pray for snow but watch out for the wind storms that come with it. I hunted it the last two years and my son an I both took nice 4x4's 160-165 last year but the year before we did better.
PM me and I will give you a few places to try...
thanks. a chance at a 160 or better is great. i have enough wall hangers anyway. just want a good trip and to see some bucks i have not hunted my home state in over three years.

i have property for good bulls in Idaho so i have been hunting allot out here. but i love deer hunting.

Check your dates. The ones you gave are the mid season. Late season is the 31st to November 8th. Well I hope, thats what it says on my tag.

Been hunting there since 1998. I can tell you there are plenty of studs if you put in the work. Stay away from Harrison! That's the highway for the lazy. Get away from roads about a mile. Glass around the 8500 ft range. They come up the south faces, Ridgeline between 7 and 8 am, then play and bed on the north faces a few hundred yards off the top. Once I glass mine, its usually a 3 to 5 hour hike to get them. Well worth it!

Plenty of access on the east side between Pearl mt and Battle creek. Thats a very large area! Hit me up if you want. Wont give the honey holes but never gonna just leave someone hanging.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom