10x42 Vs. 10x50?

N

NDBadlandsbucks

I'd like to hear some opinions on what you guys prefer. I'm looking at buying a better pair of binos. the ones I'm looking at come in 10x42 and 10x50, the difference in weight is only a few ounces, and the difference in price is minimal. I'm leaning towards the 10x50's just for the extra light gathering ability. Let me know what you think, Thanks.

Keep the Sun at Your Back and the Wind in Your Face

LAST EDITED ON Mar-13-06 AT 10:18AM (MST)[p]
10x50's with a bino strap, you can't go wrong.

10x50's might only be a few ounces heavier but they are ALOT BULKIER!!! They are okay to have in the truck but not to hike in with!!! Get the 10x42's and never look back!!! Good Luck

I agree 100% with Slider, and if you need more light gathering capability than a 4mm exit pupil provides, consider and 8x42.

I have a good pair of Pentax 10x42 as well as Nikon's 10x50's both are nice but the bulk of the 10x50's means I carry them a lot less often then I do the 10x42 and not much difference in light gathering ability.

I would say go with the 10x50s. Make sure you get roof prisms and not porro prisms. For roof prisms, I don't think that there is much of a bulkiness issue with either one. In most situations, you won't notice the light gathering difference between the two, but in those situations where it may make a difference, you will be glad that you have the 10x50's. Just my 2 cents.

I should have specified that they will be roof prism models, and I looked at the specs, the 10x50'sare an inch longer and 4oz heavier - dosen't really seem like that much extra bulk to me, but that's why I'm asking the question. thanks for the replys so far - keep 'em coming.

"an inch longer and 4oz heavier - dosen't really seem like that much extra bulk to me"

You may be right, but you may be amazed at how much an inch and 1/4 lb can seem like after its been hanging on your neck and chest all day. I would make the determination more based on which model you like the feel of, which is the more comfortable to use, etc... Assuming your at a dealer with the models on hand, dedicate yourself a good 20 minutes to stare through one. Go back when your eyes aren't tired and do the same with the other. See which you like better having them glued to your face for a while. For the cost of most good glass, its a small investment in time.

It would be nice to go to a dealer, but unfortunately there is not a dealer that carries them, as far as I know, within even a couple of hours drive, so even though I hate to do it, I'll most likely need to make my decision without handling them. I wish I could, and maybe I'll have to do some checking to see if anyone carries them near me, before I buy, but that's why I'm asking for some help on my decision. Thanks for the reply.

If I were you, I'd get the 10x50, or the 8x42, depending on your application. If you need to lose a few ounces, you will never be sorry you bought the 8x binos. I have both and use them both. 10x42 is kinda in the middle. For general glassing, 8x would be fine.

LAST EDITED ON Mar-15-06 AT 01:48PM (MST)[p]Droptine makes a good point regarding the roof prisms. That said, to get the clarity that is worth having in a roof prism binocular, make absolute certain that the have "Phase Coating or Phase Corrected" prisms. With out this level of glass, you are much better off using a good pair of porro prisms.

There are alot of good roof prisms with PC or Phase Coating now that are in the $300-$600 range. I don't know which binos you are looking at, but the Phase correction or coating is extrememly important to the utility of a roof prism type of binocular. Some good options include the Leupold Wind River (only the Phase corrected models), Burris Signature, Nikon Monarch ATB, Pentax WP, Minox, Kahles, Swift Autobahn (sp?), Weaver Grand Slam, Bushnell Discoverer, Eagle Optics Platinum series etc.

I went with the Minox 10x42 BR. These are really nice but I was used to my old Nikon Action 8x40 porro prism binos. The 10 power binos were hard to get used to. I really noticed how much shaking I was doing when I switched. You really need to "hunker" down to use those glasses properly. The 8 power binos were much easier to just "pull up and check" etc. The 10 power binos are now really good for "picking apart" a hillside etc.

This is my .02 worth. Have fun.

Firehawk

Thanks for the info Firehawk, the binos I have been looking into recently are the brand new Burris Signature Select models. For the amount of hunting I do, and being that I am young with two kids, I cant't see myself spending almost a month's pay on a pair of swarovski or leica binos, so I have been seriously looking at models in the $400-600 range made by pentax, nikon, burris, minox and etc. I think I could save up for someting like those, and from most reports I've seen, it seems like there is a difference between the super high end glass, and the $4-600 glass, but it is not that terribly much different. I also like that warranty that Burris has, and have a couple scopes of theirs and like those as well.

My buddy is a Burris guy and all his scopes and optics are Burris. He has the 10x50 signatures and I would take them over the 10x42's every time. We all use the Crooked Horn harness to carry binoculars. I see that WalMart usually has them for less than $15 anymore.
Another plus of larger objective lenses is that they should result in better resolution all else being equal. I would take the advantages of the larger objectives every time for 4oz and one inch. And those Signature 10x50's are a pretty sleek design to begin with.
Good luck!

If you have considered Pentax, do a search on this forum and on the web and read what they have to say about them. Thats what sold me on them. I bought the 10x43 dcf sp. Just got them and they are awesome. I bought them from Doug at cameraland for $439.00. Cabelas sells them for around $650.00. You wouldn't be disapointed with them.

Thanks Elko, I have looked at getting those too, I might have to give Doug a call.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Great Deals at Camera Land

Camera Land - Optics, Cameras, & More

Camera Land - The Place to Buy Optics

Camera Land - The Place to Buy Optics
Back
Top Bottom