11/211 or 3/301 deer ??

hunter

With no luck in the draws this year I am thinking about a land owner tag just to get some time deer hunting.I have never bought a land owner tage before and am pretty surprized at the prices. Any one willing to share some ideas on the 3rd rifle deer hunts in 11/211 or 3/301. I am not a big trophy hunter and would be very happy with a 150" buck. Hope to get some input on these units. Thanks

The quality will depend on the private land you will be hunting as the land owner will have to provide you access to the land when he transfers the voucher to you.

As far as the units there is good bucks in 3 and some decent ones in 11 on public, If I was going to hunt mostly public I go with unit 3 from my past experience there.

Since you are buying a voucher I would base my decision mostly on the land that comes with the voucher.

THE LORD IS MY ROCK
Colorado, U.S.A
NRA LIFE MEMBER
www.ElkHunterSports.com

301... I have seen some real dandies on private land south of Baggs. Vouchers are available too.

"Courage is being scared to death but saddling
up anyway."

The land owner tag I was looking at only comes with 400 acres of private, so that would not be much help. It does not sound like it is worth $1000.00 for this tag?? I wonder if this is a "NORMAL" amount for a third season tag in this unit?

LAST EDITED ON Jun-28-11 AT 04:27PM (MST)[p]That's cheap and apparently you just found out the reason why. Keep looking. I'm thinking $2000-$3000 will be the norm.

For the price you are looking at for a LO tag you might be interested in this ranch in unit 211. Be about the same cost involved. Copy and past the link.
http://www.nwcoloradohunting.com/index.html

Not sure if they have any tags left but they run one hell of a show there and might be able to assist you. Otherwise try and get in touch with a tag pimp and see what they might have to offer. Several here on MM to get you started.

Good luck!

up anyway."

400 acres is not bad if it's good ground and your party's the only hunters on it. Many larger ranches have a number of hunters and each group is assigned certain areas to hunt. In the end, there's not much difference.

Any body willing to share a few pictures of any bucks taken on the public
(or private) ground in this unit. The thought of a general season hunt in Utah being the only hunt this year is hard to take.
Thanks for the help.

2263hunting_2010_025.jpg

Do a google search for the Louisiana Purchase Ranch. They have years worth of buck pics taken from unit 11 and 211 both pvt and public land.

up anyway."

I drew 2nd season for unit #3 and will be hunting private land. I'm not exactly sure where the land is yet. I'm being semi guided on private land for a trespass fee. I plan to get an OTC elk tag as well. I realize weather is a big part of hunting early winter range however I think first season deer in this area may not be too bad. I've read other comments but would love to hear more. How do you best think this type of land is hunted? Decent bucks? Some loner bulls resting up and feeding perhaps? Let me know what you think. Thanks.
Cheese

I can't believe you've made arrangements to pay tresspass and hunt private land and don't know where it is. Depending on that, you might be wasting your money on the elk tag. You need to find out if there are resident elk there as it is unlikely there will be any migratory animals. Your deer hunting should be real good. You need to talk to the people on the ranch and scout a little to get an idea of how big a buck you can expect to get. Knowing when to pull the trigger is a critical part of the hunt. Spot and stalk is the standard hunting method.

I can understand your surprise... as I didn't explain the whole situation. A friend of my friend hunted with the "outfitter" several years and was successful with both elk and deer. He now works for him for 2nd and 3rd seasons. They do have some resident elk. He leases (5) ranches and we do not know at this point which one we will be on. We also range from 50-70 years old and need help getting animals out, which they also provide. As for buck size, he said 100% opportunity at 4pt wider than the ears. They do get an occasional 28-30" buck. He said it's excellent deer hunting. Elk, they usually do about 30%, which is high for that unit. I think the norm is about 8% for 2nd season. We will stay in Craig and it's about a half hour drive north every day. Not far from 4Mile ranch (unit 4) that does great guided hunts for RFW. Does this sound better? Besides, if we get something is just icing on the cake. Being there together out west is what the trip is about. Thanks.
Cheese

Sorry if I jumped on you a little. it was just surprise. Sounds like you have things pretty much together. You've chosen an excellent way to hunt the area. We have a similar arrangement this year in unit 23, 2nd season. One thing to remember is that elk are much more cover oriented than deer in the early seasons. Yeah, with elk, you have to have a plan to get them out and that's where the outfitter comes in regardless of your age. I'm in my sixties, but have my sons with me. Even with young muscle, you need a certain amount of gear to get them out yourself. You're going to have a good hunt. October can't get here soon enough.

we have been hunting units 3 and 301 private ground since 1990 now and do well on deer every year second season. we pay a trespass fee on 2 seperate ranches and are the only ones that get to hunt it. an occasional herd of elk passes through, mostly depending on the weather. i will try and get some pics on here, never done it before so we'll see if it works. we dont kill monsters, but decent bucks every year

>we have been hunting units 3
>and 301 private ground since
>1990 now and do well
>on deer every year second
>season. we pay a trespass
>fee on 2 seperate ranches
>and are the only ones
>that get to hunt it.
>an occasional herd of elk
>passes through, mostly depending on
>the weather. i will try
>and get some pics on
>here, never done it before
>so we'll see if it
>works. we dont kill monsters,
>but decent bucks every year
>
I'm sorry, but I have to diasagree with you after seeing those pictures. In my book, those are monsters. good job!

>we have been hunting units 3
>and 301 private ground since
>1990 now and do well
>on deer every year second
>season. we pay a trespass
>fee on 2 seperate ranches
>and are the only ones
>that get to hunt it.
>an occasional herd of elk
>passes through, mostly depending on
>the weather. i will try
>and get some pics on
>here, never done it before
>so we'll see if it
>works. we dont kill monsters,
>but decent bucks every year
>
Bolsen...Dude!!! Thanks for the support and added confidence in our selection. Do you guys hunt elk there too or just deer? Those are some great bucks. You just stoked the coals. How'd you hunt them? Any other advice? Thanks again.
Cheese

Wow, all three of those pictures look like great bucks. Do you think the public land in these units are worth the price of a land owner tag ???? I would like to find a decent hunt this year but have never bought a land owner tag and I am having a hard time with the prices ? But it would be well worth it for a buck like one of thoses !!! or even close.

ya a landowner tag is valid on public land. if i were to do the landowner tag rout, i would do second season, they are a hell of a lot cheaper than 3rd season it sounds like. start calling private ranches down there and a lot of them will sell a landowner tag for around 500 and then you will pay about 1000 for the trespass fee. most of the private ground has deer on it, and some of the public land. tht first 4 or 5 days the public land gets hunted HARD, but the peope thin out in a hurry after that. be patient. the later in the season the better. those 2 bucks i posted were killed on the friday and saturday of the closing weekend last year. we usually have one elk tag just incase. we have killed a few bulls down there but not many.

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom