11 points

DenimDanger34

I am going into this draw season with 11 points. Curious if anyone has any recommendations. I've been considering an X6A but don't know if I should be patient & go for the big X5B hunt.

Hey, I’m gonna throw down the real deal for you. Even the points you have aren’t worth the experience you’re looking for in a hunt. Sorry, that’s the plain truth of it. You can plan on a great time camping, and a possibility of a good deer, but the reality these days is getting a “chance” at a good one..it happens..but it’s a long shot.

I would suggest apply for whatever “x” zone you can scout the most. Summer scouting is what turns a “decent unit” into a great hunt. There’s big bucks in every “x” unit, you are in a good spot point wise for drawing some good units but it’s up to you to make it a great hunt. Personally the idea of waiting 18+ years to hunt X5b once is a no-go. I’d rather hunt a unit more often and learn it.

I've spent a bit of time in X@ over the years for both my pronghorn and elk hunt and then my buddy's deer hunt. Supposedly the unit was incredible decades ago, but that time has passed. On my buddy's deer hunt a couple of years ago we hunted the last 8 days and never saw a buck!!

I've spent a bit of time in X@ over the years for both my pronghorn and elk hunt and then my buddy's deer hunt. Supposedly the unit was incredible decades ago, but that time has passed. On my buddy's deer hunt a couple of years ago we hunted the last 8 days and never saw a buck!!
Not good

Meant to say X2....

I would suggest apply for whatever “x” zone you can scout the most. Summer scouting is what turns a “decent unit” into a great hunt. There’s big bucks in every “x” unit, you are in a good spot point wise for drawing some good units but it’s up to you to make it a great hunt. Personally the idea of waiting 18+ years to hunt X5b once is a no-go. I’d rather hunt a unit more often and learn it.
X6a or X4 would be the zones I have the most experience in after hunting C3/C4 for several years. Just curious if anyone has any experience in those zones.

Long ways from 5b and 6a isn't the greatest and takes about 6 or 7 now. You could consider another zone but it all depends on what you want.
Just nervous now that my points are getting up there lol don't want to waste 12 years of points! But I guess wherever I go if I end up with a buck it was not a waste.

Just nervous now that my points are getting up there lol don't want to waste 12 years of points! But I guess wherever I go if I end up with a buck it was not a waste.
Might be rewarding to share your points with a friend or relative and draw an X zone that requires less points..I honestly believe that you'll be disappointed in the low numbers of deer in all the "premium" zones now. But they are still out there and you never know what you might find.

Might be rewarding to share your points with a friend or relative and draw an X zone that requires less points..I honestly believe that you'll be disappointed in the low numbers of deer in all the "premium" zones now. But they are still out there and you never know what you might find.
Kind of what I was thinking also.

I would suggest that once you get up to this level of points, you should not judge whether it was worth it or not and based only if you were to harvest an animal...but more importantly on the experience and enjoyment you have during the hunt. If you go into the hunt with that in mind....it WILL be worth it! Kind if the whole idea when waiting this long is the fact that you hopefully have drawn a zone that gives you a better chance of seeing and/or taking a better caliber buck. Just knowing that the are you are in an area that might mean that the next deer you see could just be the big one you have been chasing in your dreams is always very exiting!!!

I second Calibuck, if you can share your points with some one who has knowledge of a unit you will probably do much better than if you draw a unit that takes twice the points and go in blind. I have had many friends apply with me, I knew the area and made several scouting trips and they showed up and hunted when season arrived and it worked out for both of us.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

California Guides & Outfitters

Western Wildlife Adventures

Offering some fine Blacktail Deer hunting, Wild Pig hunts, Turkey hunts and Waterfowl hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer the top private land hunts in all of California, for blacktail deer, elk, pigs, bison and turkeys.

G & J Outdoors

Offering Tule elk hunts for bulls and cows on a 17,000 acre Ranch in Laytonville, CA with 100% success.

Back
Top Bottom