12-150 dollar boots

bowhunt

Long Time Member
Hey guys
We just finished up a test on 3 different, somewhat affordable boots.
Thought you guys would like this. I was surprised a little.

Read on:

Best Hiking and Hunting Boot for $100 to $150 Keen, Merrell, and Under Armour review

Merrell Chameleon, Keen Durand, Under Armour Wall Hanger 3 boot comparison

Summary:
What is the best boot for hiking and hunting in the $100 to $150 dollar range?
There are many boots in the 120-170 dollar price range. We picked 3 boots that are commonly used and put them to the test. We were looking for a great boot in this range that we could recommend.

I have spent days and days hiking, hunting, backpacking, and generally using the 3 boots listed above: I have made the conclusion that the Keen is the clear winner in a number of areas: Comfort, durability, and style. The Merrell was an easy second choice, and a fantastic boot. The Under Armour Wall Hanger, for many reasons was a distant and I mean DISTANT 3rd.
keen merrell under armour

Just the Facts:
Keen Durand:
Weight: 22.4 oz/635 g
Category: Outdoor
Style: Boots
Features: Waterproof, American Built
Activity: Hiking
Collections: Outdoor
Type: Hiking, Waterproof, American River Clean Up
Weather: Wet ? waterproof
Activities: Hiking
Upper: Leather and textile
Lining: KEEN.DRY? waterproof breathable membrane
Rubber: Direct-attach Construction
Fit Tip: This style is running a 1/2 small. We suggest ordering a 1/2 size larger than your usual size!
Measurement Note: Our measurements were taken using a Men?s size 9 US (42.0 EU). Measurements may vary by size.

Merrell Chameleon:
UPPER/LINING
? Waterproof membrane repels moisture and enhances breathability for all activities
? Stratafuse? exoskeleton fuses the heel cage to mesh uppers for extreme light weight durability
? Nubuck leather and mesh upper
? Traditional lace closure
? Bellows tongue keeps debris out
? M Select? FRESH antimicrobial agents reduce shoe odor
? Ace single density removable footbed
MIDSOLE/OUTSOLE
? Molded nylon arch shank
? Grade 4 nylon insole for backpacking with a light pack
? Merrell In-Board? Compression Molded EVA footframe provides cushioning
? Merrell air cushion in the heel absorbs shock and adds stability
? MBound TRK? midsole for responsive and durable cushioning on the trail
? 5 mm lug depth
? Vibram? outsole
? Weight: 2lb 5oz

Under Armour Wall Hanger
? Exclusive UA Scent Control technology lasts longer & works better, keeping you undetected
? UA ClutchFit? technology wraps your ankle with a lightweight ?second skin? for powerful support & incredible feel
? GORE-TEX? lining is 100% waterproof but incredibly breathable
? Full-grain leather combined with lightweight, abrasion-resistant cordura in the upper
? 4D Foam? sockliner conforms to your foot's exact shape, eliminating slippage
? Ultra-light, molded EVA midsole delivers cushioning & shock absorption
? Lightweight TPU shank for mid-foot support & the right amount of rigidity
? Aggressive traction outsole composed of high-abrasion rubber is engineered to grip, while dropping mud & debris
? TPU toe cap
? Height: 8?
Keen:
A comfortable boot with a HUGE toe box. I am really prone to metatarsal pain, due to a Mortens Neuroma on my left foot. I was able to hike many many miles with the Keen Durand, and experienced NO pain. This is a comfortable, well built boot. It laces easy, goes on easy, and provides outstanding comfort. The waterproofing has proven to function well, and the boot is holding up very well to hard use.

Merrell:
The Merrell is also a top notch boot that gives your foot much comfort. The boot has good stiffness between the sole and the upper part of the boot. That makes this boot a good side hilling boot, and a good descent boot. It also has a good sole that allowed me to pack fairly heavy and not have foot pain.
The Boot was comfortable, and is built to last. We have pounded this boot, and it looks new. Not quite as comfortable as the Keen for me, but still an outstanding boot.

Under Armour Wall Hanger Boot:
Just flat out a disappointment in many regards! It has tons of slop on the side hilling stiffness. The sole is not durable, and I felt every rock. It already has stitching coming apart. This feels more like an average gym shoe, and less like a boot.
WINNER:
Best hiking and hunting boot in the $10 ? $150 Keen Durand. Well done Keen!

If they don't come in narrows they won't work for me. Narrow boots have just about disappeared from the market.

I own 4 pair of boots , two are Keen , they are as durable as the best and when they water proof they mean it!!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom