12 Non-resident elk points

W

WARBIRDUM

Trying to find my odds of drawing 3a/3c archery in 09 some non-residents drew this hunt in 08 archery with 11 but I didn't or will my odds be about the same slim to none?If you had 11points for deer and wanted to try for a Coues hunt rifle which unit please pm me thinking of trying a coues hunt looks fun have never hunted them before.

You can look at the bonus point analysis by hunt numbers in the pdf reports linked on this page.
http://www.azgfd.gov/eservices/BonusPointProcess.shtml

With 11 BP, you could have your choice of any December Coues hunt. Look at 33, (or 36B, 36C or 34A if you don't mind the illegal alien and drug runner traffic).

With 11 BP for deer, looks like you are 1 behind the pack. As a NR, that would still be long wait for a strip or late Kaibab muley tag. Do you have the AZ hunter ed point? If not, check into Don Martins class in Jan.

As Redrabbit said, with that many deer points, go for any of the December Coues hunts in the better units.

Thanks for the info.Redrabbit I will check the stats out from that link.I do not have the hunter ed. Point but am leaning towards a real good Coues hunt just sounds fun.Would a guy who knows nothing about Coues do ok on one of these better units?What is the terrain like and hunter pressure.Just weighing my options they sure make a nice mount.If I do not draw elk in 09 will make it a high priority to get my hunter ed.point for the 2010 draw for elk.How many would think it would be worth it to blow 11 deer points on a Coues deer hunt?Which unit would be the best for a DIY hunter for qaulity and good action?The hard part will be talking my bud with 11deer points to apply with me.Ha
Thanks

Coues. its a two week season, they are not all that hard to hunt, if you are in GOOD SHAPE and have the tenacity to sit behind good optics all day looking them over. you'll likely have to pass a bunch to get a good one, but ya never know. Its a REALLY FUN HUNT. many deer to be seen, plenty of opportunity, and a chance at a book buck, with a little luck....

Redrabbit nailed it re units to hunt. If I recall, you've killed a few good muleys and elk, this coues hunt might be worth it. if in need of a good muley, you could easily get early Kaibab, but big bucks are tougher(I'm sure you already know that)

Not sure of the situation re the Strip and points needed, but if your super close point-wise, thats a OIL tag for sure...i'd go for it first....

WHERE YOU COMING FROM?

warbirdum,

For a good coues buck, look at 31 and 33 late december hunt. In my opinion the best arizona coues hunts. If I were you I would save your points for a strip or kaibab hunt and spend 3000 and go kill a coues in mexico.

T

I guess I should get the hunter ed.point and stick it out I will either draw or die trying to draw a strip tag.Ha
I sure would like to get the archery elk off my to Do list.It was a blast helping in unit 8 but think I will stick it out and keep trying 9 and 3a/c.
The coues hunt sounds fun but like many have said get the hunter point and just keep trying to draw the strip.
Thanks

Arizona Hunting Guides & Outfitters

SilverGrand Outfitters

Offering mule deer, elk, antelope, bighorn sheep, javelina, and turkey hunts in Nevada and Arizona.

Arizona Elk Outfitters

Offering the serious hunter a chance to hunt trophy animals in the great Southwest.

A3 Trophy Hunts

An Arizona Outfitter specializing in the harvest of World Class big game of all species.

Arizona Strip Guides

Highly experienced and highly dedicated team of hardworking professional Arizona Strip mule deer guides.

Urge 2 Hunt

THE premier hunts in Arizona for trophy elk, mule deer, couse deer and javelina.

Shadow Valley Outfitters

AZ Strip and Kaibab mule deer, big bulls during the rut, spot-n-stalk pronghorn and coues deer hunts.

Back
Top Bottom