Fillmore Pahvant vs Plateau Boulder Muzzleloader Elk

Bigbucks

Good morning,

Thanks in advance for any positive comments.

I currently have 22 Utah resident elk points. I'm seeking advice from fellow Sportsman that have recently hunted or are familiar with either unit during the Muzzleloader hunts.

My family is from Southern Utah. My dad's family is from Panguitch and my mom's is from Escalante. I've live in Utah my whole life.
I'm trying to decide between the two units. After researching the odds, I believe I've got descent odds of drawing either unit.

I'm curious what unit you would put in for and why? What unit do you think has the most potential during this hunt? I think the Boulder is harder to glass and has potential for turning up a bigger bull but obviously the the Pahvant holds great bulls too. Both are managed for the same age class. My goal is a 350+ class bull.

With a five year waiting period after you draw and the amount of years it takes to draw this tag, its a once in a lifetime hunt in my opinion.

I've been on both units during the summer many times and have seen elk, but I'm not exactly sure where the elk will move to during the rut. I've always hunted deer the same time in a different unit during the Muzzleloader.

Obviously I'm not looking for your honey holes. I'm just looking for general areas to check out if I'm lucky enough to draw. How's the quality of bulls you've seen lately on these units?

I appreciate your advice and knowledge. Good luck on your hunts this year!

Scott

Last edited:
Beaver unit would be a great muzzy elk hunt. However based on last years draw, he's 4-5 points short of a bonus point round permit draw. This means he would be in the regular permit draw with <1% odds. Like they say, 'there's always a chance.' He should be golden for Pahvant and close for Boulder with 22 points.

Do not apply for the pahvant!!! It is terrible. I’ve spent 55 hunting days the last 2 years on that mountain. We’ve ran 15-25 cameras each year in elk country and have had 1 bull that would have hit the 350” mark. Any decent bull is on private ground. It is below, south west desert, fishlake, Nebo, Panguitch, Boulder, beaver, and San Juan. Do not waste 23 years worth of points on this unit. I’ve had a couple of friends hunt the boulder the last two years and have shown me pics of multiple bulls over 350-370”

Looking at draw odds, it took 24 bonus points last year to be into the bonus tag pool for Boulder Muzzleloader. If all applicants do the same thing this year, there are 25 applicants with more bonus points than you for that hunt, and only 8 bonus tags given. It'll take 3 years to eliminate those applicants before your point pool is into bonus tags there...

And as far as a random tag- With all the same applicants as last year, plus an estimated 20 new applicants for the first time, there will be a total of 3272 entries for 7 tags. Thats 467 entries per tag, of which you have 23 entries. So your odds are 23 in 467, or roughly 1 in 20, or 5% at a random tag.

All things being the same as last year, you'll be a lock for a Pahvant tag, unless some random dudes put in with more points this year.

I will say this- the new muzzleloader regs will help your odds as I'm sure some people are likely to change from the muzzy hunt.

Looking at draw odds, it took 24 bonus points last year to be into the bonus tag pool for Boulder Muzzleloader. If all applicants do the same thing this year, there are 25 applicants with more bonus points than you for that hunt, and only 8 bonus tags given. It'll take 3 years to eliminate those applicants before your point pool is into bonus tags there...

And as far as a random tag- With all the same applicants as last year, plus an estimated 20 new applicants for the first time, there will be a total of 3272 entries for 7 tags. Thats 467 entries per tag, of which you have 23 entries. So your odds are 23 in 467, or roughly 1 in 20, or 5% at a random tag.

All things being the same as last year, you'll be a lock for a Pahvant tag, unless some random dudes put in with more points this year.

I will say this- the new muzzleloader regs will help your odds as I'm sure some people are likely to change from the muzzy hunt.
This is 100% why I personally decided to no longer chase the Boulder muzzy tag. Point creep kept pushing the tag further out of reach and I wanted to hunt.

You can’t draw if you don’t apply I drew it 2 years ago at 13 points for Muzzy.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom