Archery Elk Non-Res 22 Points

MGELKOR

I'm looking for any help possible on which units would better for Archery. I'm 60 years old, will never draw this tag ever again in Utah. Will be the best Tag I'll ever get for Elk. Hoping for some opinions on which units or unit folks would apply for. Not asking for your honey hole, just some good advice on any units some of you have Archery hunted in over the last 4 years. I'm happy to share Archery info on New Mexico (Gila), Montana, Oregon or Idaho.

Going to be tough sledding to draw any of the very best units (Beaver, Boulder, San Juan) as a NR with 22 points. You need more like 25 points to be in the game for those units with only 1 NR bonus point tag.

I would look at units like Monroe, Dutton, Pahvant, or Panguitch Lake but be sure there is at least 2 total NR tags given for whatever unit you choose so at least one goes to highest bonus point holder and one goes random.

Going to be tough sledding to draw any of the very best units (Beaver, Boulder, San Juan) as a NR with 22 points. You need more like 25 points to be in the game for those units with only 1 NR bonus point tag.

I would look at units like Monroe, Dutton, Pahvant, or Panguitch Lake but be sure there is at least 2 total NR tags given for whatever unit you choose so at least one goes to highest bonus point holder and one goes random.
I would agree with you elkhunterUT. I was looking at the Monroe unit.

That is a great choice! The Monroe unit will give you a fantastic hunt in some beautiful country and a great chance at a very nice bull. There are some good bulls on that unit and a good number of elk overall.
Boulder was another one I heard was good? Are you familiar with that?

Boulder is another great unit-my Dad hunted it in 2014 on the muzzy hunt and I was trying to draw that unit for many years. I have spent a bunch of time on the unit. Lots of escapement for bulls on that unit so there are always some bruisers each year.

I personally think it would be a little tougher to bowhunt than Monroe because the majority of the unit is very thick and tough to glass. If you are open to a guide or can scout a bunch, I would recommend Boulder over Monroe as I think there are bigger bulls overall on the Boulder unit.

You've had 22 years to contemplate this decision.
That's just being a dink he's asking because things change year to year!!

I've got 26 points and have jumped around a few times because my life has changed many times and as you get pass a certain point in the points creep where you're in nomansland you get too thinking you might just try something different!!

Monroe would be a good one.

As a NR, unfortunately you have very few choices available for guaranteed draw at your point level. And they don't include any of the units mentioned above. I'd first look at which hunts had a guaranteed draw for your pool in 2023's draw (21 points last year) to narrow it down to the scant few hunts which might be available to you this year. Then go from there.

As a NR, unfortunately you have very few choices available for guaranteed draw at your point level. And they don't include any of the units mentioned above. I'd first look at which hunts had a guaranteed draw for your pool in 2023's draw (21 points last year) to narrow it down to the scant few hunts which might be available to you this year. Then go from there.
And sad as it may be, airing out your specific strategy when chasing units with only a tag or two probably doesn’t help you. Though units are not secret, there are always others in a similar situation following along and these threads might be just the push needed. When availability of one tag matters, it matters. Good luck.

I do appreciate all the good info. I've hunted elk in many different states and shared info in all. I understand the hesitancy of sharing ones thoughts in open forum. Any of you that might be hunting Idaho, Oregon, Montana or New Mexico (Gila specific) I'm happy to share.

That definitely slims down the options. There’s a couple mid season any legal weapon hunts you could look into and use the bow knowing the rifle is an option.

Strictly early archery, the best options have already been mentioned.
Thanks for the suggestion.

Thanks for the advice, me and my buddy both have 24 points and will be applying separately for the same unit in one of the units mentioned above! Good luck

Last year, only 1 non-resident with 22 points drew a tag. I attached snapshots of where all the NR archery tags were issued. One of them has the odds at that point level, the other has the number of tags issued. They both look bleak!
odds.jpg
test.jpg

My "captain obvious" chart shows the number of archery elk hunters (resident and non-resident) in the field and their success rate. The "opportunity" units have the lowest success rates.
hunters vs success rates - 2023 Utah archery.jpg

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom