12x50 Swaro ?

RoughCountry

Does anyone use Swarovski 12x50 EL binos as the only binos they hunt with ? I’ve been thinking about buying a pair and using them mostly with a tripod but was hoping to hear from some people who have them and what their thoughts were. I have a spotter and know if I really want to pick something apart it would probably be the best but I’m thinking a pair of 12x50 EL’s would do a good job on a tripod . Not trying to count hairs on a critter but want a good look a mile or so away. Any info from users is appreciated.

I bought a pair when they came out. I love them! I’ve never used them on a tripod, they aren’t really that heavy, had 10x42’s before and wouldn’t go back ?

They are great binoculars, but to me, they really shine when on a tripod. Maybe I'm just shaky to begin with.

They are my go to set and what I use every day. I don’t have any problems holding still and can use them on a tripod. If I use 10x40s I feel like I can’t see anything. I think it is a huge advantage.
Rich

Thought about it but I found the el 10x42s are perfect for me as a chest carry bino that I can hand hold well. I just run the spotter or the 15s in my pack when the tripod comes out

Last edited:
While I haven’t used those specific binos, I do have a pair of Zeiss 15x56 and I love them. This last year in Colorado I used them all the time on my tripod and only pulled the spotter out twice in a week. My two buddies were amazed by them as well. The only reason why the spotter came out was to verify the difference at low light. When you’re comparing an 85 objective to a 56 there is always going to be an effect at low light, but for the rest of the day I used those binos exclusively.

i bought mine from Redhawk rifles and they hooked me up with a screaming deal. I know they have Swarovski as well.

I've never been able to hold a glass bigger than the 10's steady with just my hands, so I've pretty much just gone to taking the extra time to set up the tripod with my 15s. If you need the tripod with the 12s, then why not 15s?
But I'm old!!! so my vote probably doesn't count ?

Get Your Tripod out for anything bigger than 10's!

Or If You Enjoy seeing how Bad You're Shaking..............!

Im assuming I would need a tripod for 12s and that’s not a problem because I’ve always got a tripod with me and would rather use one if I’m sitting and glassing but I see some of the guys who own them don’t necessarily use a tripod all the time. Trying to get as much info on them as I can before I drop a couple grand + on them. I’ve owned Swarovski before so I know the glass is great.

I don’t use a tripod most of the time. I have always heard that you can’t hold still enough. I don’t have that problem at all. Once we find something all my hunting buddies ask to look through my binos. Make the purchase, you won’t regret it.
Rich

I've been using my 12's for a few years, I won't go back to 10's. I noticed that I don't have to check through the spotter as much to verify things.

All I use are the 15s and that is all I have used for years, but I am also old and my vote probably doesn’t count. I’d take the 15s over12s any day. I’m also hunting big open mountain country where the 15s really shine

my buddy has a pair of the 12X50s and i have the 10X42s. we compared them in the field and came to the conclusion that with a spotter we think the 10X50s would be more beneficial. especially with a quick look while hiking or moving from an area. easier to free hand. The 12s are Definitely very beneficial while on a tripod. i wish they would make them in 15s as that would be the better route if your going to leave the spotter home. but i just feel that if your going to take the spotter why have a larger binocular. kind of a redundant optic system.

Like I said I’m hunting big mountain country, I also carry a Six foot stick to use when glassing , human tripod. The 10s are a lot more steady when just being hand held for instance over the 12s or 15s.

Depends on the hunt, if your a minimalist sp? There too heavy, I don't even carry my swaro 10x50s anymore. I've been using swaro 8x30s with a swaro 65 spotter. I generally hunt back pack hunt.

I have 10s 12s 15s and a spotter. I ran 15s for years and since the 12s els came out I havent even picked up my 15s. 12s are the way to go. I keep my spotter in my pack to judge and take pictures/videos.
I also only use a tripod.

Another positive vote here. I bought the 12x50 el's about 4 years ago. I only put them on a tripod this year. The tripod is nice but not mandatory.

Well I pulled the trigger on a pair of Swarovski 12x50 EL’s yesterday. Thanks for the replies here. Now I just have to wait for the UPS truck to get here.

Well my 12x50 EL’s showed up this morning and they are amazing !! Holding them free hand isn’t bad, field of view is great, bright !! Crystal clear. Someone said..buy once cry once....I’m all done crying and really love these binos ! Cant wait to get the Outdoorsmans stud installed and put them on a tripod.

Rough Country,
Congratulations!
Now that we’ve got you in a good mood what would a mule deer hunt with you cost?
Do you have any openings?

Wrong Rough Country....I saw another Rough Country on here a while back with a space between Rough and Country. Different guy same name...

ive had 12x50s for about 15 years now and i also use them for every type of hunting. they fit in a bino case nicely. they do shine on a tripod though. you will feel shaky at first but you wont look back once you get used to it!

If you use a straight eye piece spotter, you can just sit your glasses on top and use your tripod that way.
Spot something through your glasses that you want to see a little closer, simply lift the glasses off and raise spotter up and your target is right there.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom