13 year old birthday gift ideas.

400bull

Very Active Member
I have a boy that will be turning 13 over the weekend and as of right now I cannot think of anything to get him for his birthday. He is a fairly reserved kid so getting ideas out of him is like pulling needles out of a hay stake. I have thought about getting him a bow but hunting season starts next weekend which does not give him any time to practice. Besides that my wife and I feel that getting the kids rifles and/or bows should be done some other time then birthdays. What have been some big hits that you have gotten your young teenage boys for their birthdays?

400bull

Get him a Bowtrainer. Young guys like to bulk up a bit around that age and often they show interest in lifting weights, etc, to speed the process. The Bowtrainer ties into archery, of course, which ties into that recent movie Hunger Games that is popular with teenagers. Cost is around $40 on eBay.

A bit more expensive is to get him a GPS for geocache searches. People have left little things hidden in caches all around the world and you follow clues trying to find them. Can be done around home or on trips.

Not outdoors related per se but iPod or, if has iPod, then iTunes gift card for more digital music. I use an iPod when am hiking or passing time in camp.

If your son likes to read about hunting then there are lots of books. eReaders are around $100 and could load it with a couple of hutning books. If he has an eReader then could get him a gift certificate for Amazon/B&N.

Happy shopping.

It depends if you like him or not. Skate boards and trampoline are always popular for kids and the neighborhood kids and someone, usually several kids are almost guaranteed to break something. So that would be great if you've got good insurance. I teach that age group of kids an if it isn't something to do with electronics or technology, smart phones, newest games whatever it usually doesn't get mentioned at school it is a status symbol as much as anything. The exception would be cowboys kids they often get new saddles, bridle, halters or boots. My kids boy and girl always got a new bow, gun, knife or other sports equipment.

Happy Birthday to your son. Its going fast you won't him around the house that much longer enjoy the time before he leaves on his own.

When I turned 12 I got a 870 magnum, which I still have. When I for x-mas when I was 16 I got an a-bolt, which I still have as my only big game gun. When I turned 10 I got a 10/22, which I was out shooting this weekend. I don't really remember other b-day gifts. I am trying to continue that with mine, which is tough, his b-day is 12/26, so money is always a little tight, but I think guns are great b-day presents. Otherwise, how about other accesories, I got a buck knife for my 8th b-day still my hunting knife.

When they came for the road hunters I was not one so I said nothing. When they came for the oppurtunists I was not one so I said nothing. When they came for the public land hunters I was not one so I said nothing. When they came for me there was no one left to say anything!

Any new electronic equipment is always a winner. iPad, iPod, Kindle, etc. I gave my (8) year old a cheap single shot 22 for his b-day. It is a mini rifle but now he can hold it to the shoulder and shoot pretty decent. He wants a bow but I am not to that point yet. I let him shoot my crossbow while I am there but I don't want him having a bow quite yet.

If he likes the outdoors and hunting,a bow would be a great idea!My boy is 15 and has had 4 bows to keep up with his growth and 3 bears to his credit.He spends HOURS shooting in the yard which keeps him from all the other stuff kids get into nowdays..Also if he likes hunting with dad,maybe his own binoculars which was a big deal when my boy tagged along with me.Archery is a great sport to get them in if they are interested..Once they shoot a few arrows they are hooked!!Good Luck!! Maybe just ask him if he would be interested in archery hunting?

Jr size muzzleloader ...

You can buy the entire kit at Cabelas reasonably priced..

GREAT fun for both of you ...

Does he have a general any weapon deer permit ?

If so, plenty of time to practice , sight in , and go ..

4aec49a65c565954.jpg

My favorite gifts have been my rangefinder, a few custom knives, my binoculars, arrows, and my frame pack. My gift choices are quite different from most teenagers though.

When I turned 13, my dad took me into a sporting goods store and let me pick out the knife of my choice. I picked out a Buck knife, 6" fixed blade. A roommate or one of his buddies stole it when I was in college, but I still have fond memories and often consider picking one up like it in memory of my dad.

Look at what he likes to do in his free time and you'll get some ideas of what would be meaningful to him.

Air soft guns.

Guided pig hunt.

Ipod if he does not have one.

His own quality binocs if he does not have some.

Take him and his buddies to laser tag or paintball.

Sports Illustrated Swim Suit Edition.

The only think I ever looked for at Xmas and Birthdays was a long thin box that might have a rifle/shotgun in it.

If he doesn't have even decont binocs, I would consider something there, even if he isn't a hunter, he can enjoy the view at the beach much better!!

They love those electronic devices, but they sure suck all the productivity out of them.....

If he hasn't already got one,and he loves the outdoors, take him down to a sporting goods store and help him start building a survival pack. You can make it as low cost or as expensive as you want. But having one and teaching him how to use it, could be well worth the cost and the time spent someday. Just a suggestion.

i always loved gettin guns for my b-day, and they are guns ill never get rid of, they are very meaningful to me. but if he likes hunting, maybe some nice binos, gps ? game for his xbox? what is your price range?

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom