140 Berger VLD or 156 Berger EOL in 6.5 PRC

Hello everyone, need help making a decision here. Trying to decide whether I should go with the 156 Berger or 140 Berger in my 6.5 PRC. This year, will primarily be close distances (200 yards and in) at deer and hogs. Thoughts?

I've never shot the 156 in my 6.5x280AI and I didn't have great accuracy luck with the VDL but the 140 Elite Hunters shoot extremely well for me. Your mileage may vary.

Guns are like women: They're all so different and it's your job to find what they like best.

Have fun,
Zeke

I chose the 156 but that was due to my 1:7 twist rate, I could easily exceed 300K rpm with the 140's. I would choose a different bullet altogether for those distances but given the two you list I don't think there's a wrong choice.

I know you asked for chicken but I'll tell you where to get steak! haha

I'm really liking the Hammer Hunter bullets in a couple calibers/cartridge combinations. I feel totally comfortable well past mid range shots and have used them on game to 717 yards.

Doesn't have the sexy BC of a Berger but man they shoot exceptionally well ....and way out there for me.

Sorry, I couldn't help myself.
Zeke

I know this is backwards for a lot of people, but I especially like the Berger at close range. On deer sized game man it hits especially hard. They usually don’t make it out of sight and the one deer I shot that did run had a blood trail a blind man could follow. Probably not the best choice for a meat hunter though…

Which ever shoots better is what I’d go with especially for closer distances.
I pin drill all my Berger’s just for piece of mind.

The berger 140 hybrid target is a great shooting bullet to also consider and has a slightly thicker jacket than the VLD rounds. The hollow point is also slightly larger than the VLD 140 but that varies lot to lot. They work very well as a hunting round - but not marketed as such. Opening the tips a little can really help initiate expansion. The VLD 140 can be picky to get it to shoot consistent where the hybrid target is not.
The 156 is also a great round for hunting. The 140 will have less recoil and more velocity than the 156 so energy levels are pretty close. The lower recoil of the 140 will help you stay on target to see your hits better. Both rounds have high sectional density numbers so they will penetrate. Expect more damage with these bullets over copper rounds. Large wound channels will be normal at close ranges and some loss of meat can be expected. Animals normally drop in their tracks with these rounds or don’t go far.
If your hunting at close ranges all copper might be your best choice - just not for me personally.

140 berger elites has had some failure issues so I'd go 156 which get really great accuracy.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom