15 elk points..

ruttinelk393

I know this has been questioned before and I have read the past information, but I am now a non resident (archery hunter) and seem to be chasing the max points in the nw corner units. I know there are a few units to the south getting better, I just hate burning all my points on them, especially when they require much less. I had a friend muzzy hunt unit 10 last year and was very disappointed with what they saw. I understand CO is not near the same quality levels of AZ and UT, but I really want to be positioning myself to draw the best unit possible to give myself a quality chance at a 350 plust bull. Maybe that is unrealistic for CO at this time? Any input would be appreciated from those who are in the unit regularly or have hunted them in the last 3 years. Thanks!

Rutinelk ~

Your right, RFW is only for residents, but I am not aware of any RFW, except for possibly one (Hill Ranch), that produced the quality (350+) that you are looking for.

I would recommend that you hold tight for a few more years and continue to build your points, as your best chance for a 350+ archery bull is unit 201 which will take you atleast 17 pts. Last year there were 9 archery tags (only 1 non-res), with 100% success. They were not all 350+ bulls, but they are there!

The 2nd best archery unit is 2 - 17 pts / 1 non-res tag.
The 3rd best archery unit is 61 - 13 pts / 14 non-res tags.
The 4th best archery unit is probably 10 - 15 pts / 2 non-res tags.

Stryker

LAST EDITED ON Mar-06-09 AT 08:45PM (MST)[p]Ruttinelk ~

After doing a little more research your only foreseable options may be unit 61 or 10, as there are atleast 9 non-residents with 16+ points in front of you putting in for the 1 tag in 201, and atleast 4 non-residents with 16+ points putting in for the 1 tag in unit 2.

Since Colorado operates under the "most points win" system, the soonest you could draw either of these units would be 5 years from now. (20 years is an awful long time to wait!)

Therefore, you may need to look at 61 or 10, and set your sights on something around 300-320, with the chance and possibility of something a little bigger.

Good Luck - Stryker..

Thanks Stryker. That is what I was guessing, but wanted to make sure I wasnt missing anything. Maybe I need to move back and become a resident again as the numbers are at least moving and reducing to some degree. I completely hate CO's system of not allowing any chance of drawing unless you have max points. Kind of depressing.

Send you thoughts to the DOW. You can go to their website and on the hunting page there is an email address , comments can be sent there.

Hey Striker,
Man you are informed.....How do you know how many non's with xx amount of points put for specific units???
Is there a link on CDOW's website?
The reason I ask is I'm in the same situation as ruttinelk...

Yes, all the stats are there and I have reviewed them and that is why I am so frustrated with my point problem or CO's max point problem-however you want to look at it. I hear some good things on unit 2. Has anyone been in or hunted that recently??? Based upon the numbers, my drawing horizon is a bit shorter than 201.

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom