15x binoculars

Randy11

I was wondering if there was a real downside to 15X binoculars. i want to get a new pair of vortex and was looking at their 15x63 hawk owls.
Ive never heard of anyone using these for hunting and was wondering if there was a downside.
thanks for any help.
randy

I use my 15 Swarovski's all the time for hunting. Mostly use them in places where you can glass for miles. LIke on my Coues deer and Javalina hunts. Use them in the desert or any open type terrain. Almost useless in the thick pine or juniper forest though. That's where my 8's or 10's will be used. I definitely started to see more animals once I purchased my 15's. You will absolutely need a tripod and a good head to go with them. BUY THEM! You won't be sorry!

LAST EDITED ON Mar-30-07 AT 12:08PM (MST)[p]I have used my 15x56 Swaro's on every hunt for the last 6-7 yrs--they're the best---one year I used some Cabelas 20x80's but those are just a hair to big to be carrying around, but man could you see a ton--get the 15x and don't look back---chris

Randy, the downside to using 15x binos is that they are no good when you try to use them as a handheld bino. On a tripod they are awesome. I love to glass up game with my 15's on a tripod and then pull out the spotter if I see something that I'm interested in. Goodluck and I hope you like them if you get them. fatrooster.

I haven't had a chance to look through the Vortex Hawk Owls, but I have been really impressed with their other optics. If you end up getting a pair, let us know how you like them. I just sold my 15's and I need to get a new pair.

As was stated above, I think the primary downside to a good pair of 15's is you need a tripod to use them effectively and for long periods of time. In my opinion they are also to big to wear around your neck. I keep them in my backpack.

I also keep my 15?s in my back pack with my tripod. I use them a ton when I am sitting on my stole behind my tripod. You will see a lot more game worth all of the weight to pack to the top of the mountain. I don't leave the truck with out them.

I carry my 10 EL?s around my neck so I can do quick glassing or if game is running off I have glass to look through without digging in my pack. The 15?s are heavy, I used to carry them around my neck, but they are too hard to hand hold so I have gone to putting them in my pack with my 10?s on my bino buddy. The 15?s are hard on bino buddies; they wear them out quick since they are so heavy. Hope this helps.

LAST EDITED ON Jun-08-08 AT 10:49AM (MST)[p]Like these fellas said, 15's are gonna be heavier. Normally the field of view is not as wide so it takes longer to cover a large area. The binos you want have a large diameter so your field of view should be large enough but they must weigh a lot. if you are holding them by hand w/ the added weight and holding a longer time to cover the same area you may get fatigued and possibly not do as good a job of glassing because of it.

If the 15X you refer to are going to be your primary binocular I would suggest moving back to an 8 or 10 power. The field of view and depth of field on the 15X limit their effectiveness as a utility binocular. They are also heavy.

I tried cutting down the weight I had to carry by using 15X binoculars and leaving the 8.5'S and spotting scope in the truck. It didn't work to well. I know carry my regular binoculars around my neck, and decide whether the spotter or the 15X will be the most effective for what I'm doing. They then go into the backpack.

The 15X are a niche binocular, but very effective when combined with a tripod. If you don't have a good pair of 8's or 10's buy them first. Then a good spotting scope. Then look at a high power pair of binoculars.

The only bino I use in the AZ desert(sheep, coues and mule deer) are 15's. I started with the big heavy doctors but now have the vortex 15's. The vortex are quite simple to hold by hand and are great on a tripod as well. I NEVER hunt withou my tripod though. Even 10's come alive with the use of a tripod. A tripod for ANY glass is more important than the brand name or power!IMO
Travis
www.southwesthuntingadventures.com

Bite the bullet and step up to the best of both worlds 10+15 duovid leicas. That way you only bring one bino and can hand hold on 10X and tripod with 15.

If you have the money get one of everything, but first get a good pair of binos, then spotting scope, then the fifteens. Put your 10x on a tripod and you will see a huge difference. It's all about the tripod. I pack all three when I can.

i have10x42 sw now(old) but great.spotting scopes expensive, and not ready when i need them so i've passed for along time. thinking of replacing 10x42 with 15xsw and carry my tripod when needed. what's the story on 15x vortex on price and compared to sw? can't have everything at this time.

thanks

This thread is almost 3 months old and this topic has been hashed a few times, but I feel my set-up is near ideal for an open country hunter. I have 8x30SLC, 15x SLC, and 65mm Swaro HD spotter. I might go for the 8.5x42 EL's in replacement of my small SLC's, but I only paid $750 for them brand new at Sportsman's last year and the weight on them is excellent.

Their purpose is:

8x30 - Small, Light, excellent glass kept on my neck at all times and good for seeing deer up to a mile and elk a bit further. Despite their light weight I will always put them on a rest of some sort given the opportunity as any bino works better supported.

15x - Nothing find game better than big eye bino's. I find mine are the perfect balance between clarity, magnification, and ease of use and can only find their potential on a tripod. They can be used without a tripod, but their effective range is cut in half.

20-60x 65mm HD Spotter - Used 80% to judge game after finding them with the bino's, mostly 15x's. The biggest downside to glassing for game w/ spotter is that the atmospheric conditions from wind and heat waves maves anything at 30x or higher very unclear. Again a very sturdy tripod can help, but heatwaves and haze still takes away too much too often.

In the end the 8x's are probably where anyone should start, but here in Idaho my 15's account for finding way more game than the others and that's where it all starts, finding the game. If I was stating out and had a limited budget, as much as I love the 15's I would probably go with the 8's, then spotter, then 15's last as you can cover the gambit without them but believe me your game counts will double once you complete the trifecta.

Good luck.

I second that as well, except for I would start with 10's and buy the absolute best tripod I could. You will need one for a scope anyhow, put your 10's on a tripod and you will like them a lot better

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Great Deals at Camera Land

Camera Land - Optics, Cameras, & More

Camera Land - The Place to Buy Optics

Camera Land - The Place to Buy Optics
Back
Top Bottom