16 NR ELK points

sharpshooter

Guys,
Need some advice here. Waited a LONG time to build these points. Feeling pressure to cash them in. I have killed a few good bulls (393) and really would want to be in an area that would give me an honest OPPORTUNITY at a smoker bull. The hunt in and of itself is as important to me as a big bull. I could hunt archery but seem to feel I should hold on for early rifle. Any thoughts? It would be tough for me to spend alot of time scouting as I am a NR.
Thanks,
SS

You have enough points to hunt some early rifle hunts I would go with them if your really set on a big bull because archery you may get to see them but bringing them home with you is a different story

There are some awesome muzzy hunts available that are in the right time of year and easier to draw.
Just something to think about.

Joseph:

take the advice from above and go archery,You can draw the BEST units with Your b.p. #'s.or wait for many,many years more ??? for an early/Sept. hunt either with Muz,or Centerfire.My list of b.p. numbers for elk show You in a n.r.group of right at 90 plus and another 2 groups of n.r. bonus point holders totaling near 100 in front of Your 16 b.p. in 2011.Your "Dream Hunt" is coming just not in the next FEW years.Good Luck when the time comes ---
Bruce & SilverGrand

16 points is maybe 10ish years of waiting behind the nonresident logjam if you want a good shot at a early rifle/muzz hunt in a good unit, but gets you your pick of the archery hunts. The 10% cap makes figuring nonresident odds and points to get the preference tags tough, but you can figure that a mere 16 now just gets you more like 1% draw odds for quite a few more years....

Here are the figures for bonus points, according to the AZ G&F.

16 points, 174 total, 77 NR
17 points, 130 total, 57 NR
18 points, 55 total, 27 NR
19 points, 5 total, 3 NR
20 points, 3 total, 1 NR
21 points, 2 total, 1 NR
22 points, 1 total, 1 NR

I believe you can draw ANY archery elk tag you want in Arizona with those points. Most of those in your group and higher are applying for early rifle bull tags. You do not have enough points at get an early rifle bull at this point, but you can draw an early muzzleloader tag.

So be careful for what you ask for.

Don Martin
Arizona Wildlife Outfitters

You gotta be kiddin me you want a smoker bull , you have already killed a smoker bull and probably will not kill a bigger bull .You been reading to many magazines!!!!
Arizona elk herds are 40% of what they where 10 years ago because alot of pressure coming from forest service and some from the ranchers AZ Game and Fish is finally cutting cow permits and starting this 2011 to rebuild our herds again.
Some of our best units are suffering . Save your points for a few more years it will only get better then go for another smoker 390 bull :) Sir Royal

EASY CHOICE......GO WITH MUZZ OR RIFLE. I KNOW A BUNCH OF HUNTERS THAT SAW SOME SMOKER BULLS WITH A BOW.....TOO FAR OUT FOR A SHOT. THATS A DEAD BULL UNLESS YOUR BOW HUNTING. WITH THAT AMOUNT OF POINTS MUZZ OR CENTER FIRE FOR SURE..........YD.

Those point holders that were listed above I would almost guarantee you are either just banking points for the perfect year or they are putting in for rifle early bull for units 9,10 1, 23 or 3a3c. There are smoker bulls in alot more units than that that you can draw the early rife tag in. If you have time to scout them out. Still looks to me a better chance with rifle to put that smoker down. Any way you go your in for a good hunt in the near future. Good luck.

Arizona Hunting Guides & Outfitters

SilverGrand Outfitters

Offering mule deer, elk, antelope, bighorn sheep, javelina, and turkey hunts in Nevada and Arizona.

Arizona Elk Outfitters

Offering the serious hunter a chance to hunt trophy animals in the great Southwest.

A3 Trophy Hunts

An Arizona Outfitter specializing in the harvest of World Class big game of all species.

Arizona Strip Guides

Highly experienced and highly dedicated team of hardworking professional Arizona Strip mule deer guides.

Urge 2 Hunt

THE premier hunts in Arizona for trophy elk, mule deer, couse deer and javelina.

Shadow Valley Outfitters

AZ Strip and Kaibab mule deer, big bulls during the rut, spot-n-stalk pronghorn and coues deer hunts.

Back
Top Bottom