165gr 30:06 Accubond or partition

Salmon

Hello, Just wanted to see what you guys feel about these 2 bullets? Shooting to 350yds I feel okay but can you do 400 if all is steady and good rest. MV is 2800fps, would one be better expanding or expansion for elk. I figure I can get some first hand knowledge etc from you guys.....Tom

The 165 is still going over 2,600fps @ 800yrds, with the loads I use that make 2830fps at the muzzle.
Either bullet will certainly do the job.
I think the 165gr is the perfect weight bullet in the good old 30-06.
If you can hit em, it will kill em efficiently.

Can't go wrong with Accubonds.

Millsworks,

You better recheck your numbers, there is no way your bullet is still going 2600 fps at 800 yards...more like 1500-1600 fps.

For the OP, I would probably toss a coin in the air on the difference between a partition and accubond performance wise on animals. I've shot a lot of animals with both bullets, and inside 400 there really isn't a nickels worth of difference.

I currently use the accubonds almost exclusively, but would go back to using partitions as well.

It may be worth shooting both and see which ones shoot the best and make a decision.

There really is no wrong answer with either bullet.

It's already been said but I'll echo what the guys above posted.

They're both tried and true bullets and I've literally shot tons of critters with both. Out to 400 it's "sixes", beyond that the Accubond's higher BC will help retain velocity and buck the breeze a bit better.

Like said above, try them both and pick the one YOUR rifle shoots well (really either bullet should shoot well enough).

This is like trying to pick between the "best" and the "best". haha

Zeke

#livelikezac

>Millsworks,
>
>You better recheck your numbers, there
>is no way your bullet
>is still going 2600 fps
>at 800 yards...more like 1500-1600
>fps.
>
>For the OP, I would probably
>toss a coin in the
>air on the difference between
>a partition and accubond performance
>wise on animals. I've shot
>a lot of animals with
>both bullets, and inside 400
>there really isn't a nickels
>worth of difference.
>
>I currently use the accubonds almost
>exclusively, but would go back
>to using partitions as well.
>
>
>It may be worth shooting both
>and see which ones shoot
>the best and make a
>decision.
>
>There really is no wrong answer
>with either bullet.

My numbers for that velocity at the 800 are coming from the Strelok ballistics app.
I have and had doubts on any information from an app instead of real chronigraphed bullet at range.
Extra tuff to do at any thing over 450yrds though. Regardless , the O6 is still an energy carrier well past the 500yrd. mark. I can confirm the 165gr bullets are still hitting 5/16" steel plate hard enough to do some damage at 500yrds.
It won't drill through at that distance like the magnums , but it shows hard impact still.
I'm sure someone out there has a better app or ballistics system of some kind to tell us an accurate velocity number.

Not that I would advacate a shot past 500yrds with the 30-06,( or for most with anything else), but I have wiped out a couple deer at over 500yrds that went down awfully quick, with the good old supposedly out dated 06.
My experience on elk is another story, as I have yet to take one by any means.
Happy hunting and shooting guys.

>The 165 is still going over
>2,600fps @ 800yrds, with the
>loads I use that make
>2830fps at the muzzle.
>Either bullet will certainly do the
>job.
>I think the 165gr is the
>perfect weight bullet in the
>good old 30-06.
>If you can hit em, it
>will kill em efficiently.
>
>Can't go wrong with Accubonds.

Your 165 will be at 2600fps at about 100yrds

>The 165 is still going over
>2,600fps @ 800yrds, with the
>loads I use that make
>2830fps at the muzzle.
>Either bullet will certainly do the
>job.
>I think the 165gr is the
>perfect weight bullet in the
>good old 30-06.
>If you can hit em, it
>will kill em efficiently.
>
>Can't go wrong with Accubonds.

a bullet that only loses 230fps in 800 yards? That is one magic bullet. You better get a new ballistic program buddy, because that one is fffugd up!!!

Mills

At 800 yards your velocity would be about 1425. Are you using strelok the free app or strelok pro? Something is definitely not correct. Check your inputs.

>Mills
>
>At 800 yards your velocity would
>be about 1425. Are you
>using strelok the free app
>or strelok pro? Something is
>definitely not correct. Check your
>inputs.

I certainly am not a tech guy. But I sure thought I entered all my information right on the app. It is the free version of Strelok.
Apparently, I have a crap app or ,more likely I'm not smart enough to know how to use it.
I double checked the info on my app and ,I must have screwed up something, cause it does show 2648 for the 800 velocity. I should have known that could not possibly be correct.
I don't really use that stuff much, but I would love keep to have a good app to help me know how far out I could count on a bullet to expand properly.
Though I see if it is going over 1400 then it's still good at the 800 mark for most game.

Any suggestions on an Android app that doesn't cost a ton?

LAST EDITED ON Dec-28-18 AT 02:28PM (MST)[p]Hey guys, I entered 442 in the bc box instead of point 442. Now that's some bc!

It's not the first time I have posted something that makes me sound like an idiot and unfortunately for me , it's not likely the last.
Now I better double check all the cartridges I have stored on that app.

If I wasn't so worried about putting a round through my chrony, I would rather just shoot to get all the information I want. But that app stuff can be useful , I'm sure once I get the hang of it.

Still more fun to just shoot though. And I would never shoot at game at any distance I had not practiced at thoroughly, first. Regardless of what any app says.

Glad to be of some entertainment, maybe, anyways, huh.

LAST EDITED ON Dec-28-18 AT 06:40PM (MST)[p]442 and 442. is the same thing......I think .442 is what you want to enter

never mind.....I reread it.....you said "point 442."....lol

497fc2397b939f19.jpg

GOODWIN: Dems really do love Republicans -- when they're dead...

LAST EDITED ON Dec-28-18 AT 07:38PM (MST)[p]I fully understand.
Things seem harder to read and write at the end of a long hard day.
Just finished fleshing three large black bears and between the sweat and the bear fat the screen on my phone ain't lookin too good.
Lord knows what I was doing the day I entered that data for the 06 load above!

>>Mills
>>
>>At 800 yards your velocity would
>>be about 1425. Are you
>>using strelok the free app
>>or strelok pro? Something is
>>definitely not correct. Check your
>>inputs.
>
>
>I certainly am not a tech
>guy. But I sure thought
>I entered all my information
>right on the app. It
>is the free version of
>Strelok.
>Apparently, I have a crap app
>or ,more likely I'm not
>smart enough to know how
>to use it.

>I double checked the info on
>my app and ,I must
>have screwed up something, cause
>it does show 2648 for
>the 800 velocity. I should
>have known that could not
>possibly be correct.
>I don't really use that stuff
>much, but I would love
>keep to have a good
>app to help me know
>how far out I could
>count on a bullet to
>expand properly.
>Though I see if it is
>going over 1400 then it's
>still good at the 800
>mark for most game.
>
>Any suggestions on an Android app
>that doesn't cost a ton?
>

1400fps is IMO not enough velocity for an accubond to expand properly.

At less than around 1800 fps, most lead core bullets won't expand very well. But there is still some expantion with a good bullet down to around 1300fps, and depending on the sectional density of that bullet, there will still be 800+ ft. lbs. of energy to give good penetration on deer size game.
This certainly is what separates quality or premium bullets from bargain buckets.
The Accubond long range bullets show supposed minimum velocity of 1300fps and most cup/ core bullets are around 1800-2000fps.
The regular Accubond falls somewhere in between.

I can tell you for a fact a 140 grain .284 accubond will expand at less than 1800 fps and around 1000 ft/lbs of energy and go through a mature cow elk...

>I can tell you for a
>fact a 140 grain .284
>accubond will expand at less
>than 1800 fps and around
>1000 ft/lbs of energy and
>go through a mature cow
>elk...

Real-world trumps theory every time (see above).

The problem with a "hard and fast rule" is that there are no hard and fast real results.

The bullet makers might be better off saying:

""suggested" minimum impact velocity +/-1800 fps. Results may vary"

Zeke
#livelikezac

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom