16A elk 1st rifle

MuddyBoots

Getting ready to take my first trip down there (from UT) and was wondering if anyone has any pointers. I would like to know whats the best way to get into the unit, where is the nearest town (diesel? motels?), and such. I've looked over the unit map and would welcome any insight anyone might have. This is my first out-of-state hunt and to be honest I'm a little excited. Thanks!

Reserve will be your town for diesel,motel. But you may want to book it now. A is accessed from reserve heading south east. Most of the unit holds elk.Just get away from the crowds and hunt hard.

Thanks Scott. I'm going to try and head out after next week to do some area familiarization and see if motel vs. camping is going to be better. I know I'm not going to get much sympathy but this is going to be my "redemption bull" after coming home empty handed last year from my LE elk hunt here. 5 days of hell-bent-for-bull!

I was down there driving through your unit, saw a 390+ bull, what a toad. Long all around and extras. As big as any bull I have seen. Good luck on your hunt. Oh and that is going to be one hell of a long drive from Utah.

I hunt 16A and you're a long way from everything. Reserve has two gas stations and last time I was there a run down motel or two but I wouldn't expect the ritz. Also, plan on spending a good hour or so driving every morning if you stay there. I'd suggest taking a trailer or a tent if it's short trip. Also, there is no cell service unless you have a sat phone.

I went scouting the area this past weekend and saw tons of elk. Two groups of very nice bulls, all over the 300 class. No real monsters, but if you're like me, anything over 300-320 is going down! This seems like it's going to be a good year for the unit. On the down side, it just started raining so most of the waterholes are dry or nearly dry. i expect that to change as it's been raining frequently. Can't wait for my bow hunt. Good luck to you on your hunt.

Now that the archers are done, I was just curious how people faired during their hunts. Good, bad, whatever. I am getting excited for my hunt to start (not too excited to do that drive again)and was looking for any updated reports. I've been finishing my "homework" and if anyone has any last minute info you could send my way it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks to those that responded on my earlier post!

Was around reserve last weekend. Bulls were buglin early n late. Saw a few nice bulls with cows. Lots of small bulls off by themselves.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom