16a successes so far?

nmyotebuster

Those of you lucky enough to be chasing the Wapiti in this area. Do you have any news?

Are they sounding off/ herding up/ or just plain dragging you from hill to hill?

We are heading out on the 3rd season archery and I already have short timer's disease.

We scouted a bit this past weekend to check on roads, check some trails etc, and enjoyed quite a deluge of water ourselves. ( but we made sure to get out before the 1st so those of you lucky enough to be out already would not have us on your roads.)

Any info from those of you lucky enough to be out there that you are willing to share? It would be greatly appreciated by those of us chomping at the bit.

Good Luck!!!! and Good Hunting!!!

NMYB

i spent 4 days glasssing up alot of bulls in the 300-340 class. eventually found 3 bulls 350 or better(my goal). spent 3 days hunting them and couldn't close the deal on a 370ish bull that i had at 27yds. the bulls were pretty quiet most of the time, but was getting better. get away from popular areas, hike one ridge over or find secluded water and you will do well. i looked at many bulls from 5500' to 8000'. good luck, hunt all day!

Roado,

Thanks for the info!!!!!!

We definitely believe that the more you are in the field, the higher your chance of success. No 6-10am and 3-7 pm here.

Thanks again,

NM

Just got back from my hunt in 16a. Didn't end up harvesting an animal but it looks like the third season bow and first muzzleloader hunt should be phenomenal. Saw lot's of elk and quite a few bulls. I had quite a few chances but unfortunately I was unable to close the deal. A small cold front came in on tuesday and really started the rut. bulls were talking until late in the day and starting up again in early afternoon. Called in a very nice 340-350 class 7x7 and a nice 6x6 on the final evening. Unfortunately I was in a brushy area and couldn't get them to take that one last step. They always seem like they know!! I started seeing some herds gathering up on tuesday as i was leaving. The big 7x7 had about 20 cows with him and a few satellite bulls.

Good luck and post pictures!!

Oh yeah, forgot to mention that there is water absolutely everywhere and it rained very hard 5 of the seven days I was there. Elk were drinking from water puddles in the roads and even saw some cows drinking from the tops of rocks where water had collected. Grass is 3-4ft tall and is everywhere. Don't expect to pattern on water holes or favorite grazing areas. Food and water everywhere!!!

this gets me pumped!! I was fortunate enough to draw 16A early rifle with a buddy. We will be going down on Oct 5th and the hunt starts on the 11th.
We are non res hunters and have never been on 16A before so if anyone familiar with the unit would like to offer up any info, I would welcome any advice. Not just locations but hunting methods or anything that might help us have a successful hunt.
Good luck everyone!!
Ryan

Posting this on our way down ( maybe even get a day by day to you all from my sat connection).

Thanks for the info Sportsman. CHOMPING AT THE BIT.....

NM

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom