16C 1st Riffle

OCHO

My wife and sister in law drew 16C this 1st riffle hunt and we are headed out Thursday. To say the girls are excited is an understatement and my wifes the only hope for elk meat after a ruff archery elk hunt!

I was just wondering how 16C was for some of you that have hunted it in the past and also if you have any pics? I have some spots I have been scouting but if you want to share somewhere to check I appreciate it also!

Stories, pics and how the bugling was would be just fine!

Thanks ~ OCHO

I had the first bow hunt. Very little bugling. This was my first time in 16c. Its an ok unit but density and size of elk are not like the rest of 16s and 15. Your hunt should be the best. I would take the first mature elk you see. The unit could hold twice the elk in it. We hunted the west side from north to south. Should be able to harvest a 270-320 class bull if you hunt hard. As far as locations, they are sprinkled throughout the unit. I will be switching back to unit 13 as third choice but had fun.

>I had the first bow hunt.
>Very little bugling. This was
>my first time in 16c.
>Its an ok unit but
>density and size of elk
>are not like the rest
>of 16s and 15. Your
>hunt should be the best.
>I would take the first
>mature elk you see. The
>unit could hold twice the
>elk in it. We hunted
>the west side from north
>to south. Should be able
>to harvest a 270-320 class
>bull if you hunt hard.
>As far as locations, they
>are sprinkled throughout the unit.
>I will be switching back
>to unit 13 as third
>choice but had fun.

Well this is really what my expectations have been and I am sure my wife would be more than happy with that type of bull. I have seen some good bulls in there but I am not holding my breath!

It was their 3rd choice, but hopeully the 50 tags makes it good! And seams like a later than normal rut...

Thanks for posting!

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom