16c or 16e

Ltsheets

Very Active Member
I'm leaning towards 1st season archery in one of these 2 units as my 3rd choice for elk. I've been lucky enough to hunt 16d but neither of these. Just wanted to hear what you guys had to say about how they compare.

Depends on what type of hunting you are looking at. 16e has less, and worse roads. Lots of state and blm, no national forest. Lots of hiking several miles to get to good spots. Requires lots of scouting and patience. Weather can ruin a hunt. 16c has more passable roads, all national forest(aside from the private), is higher in most parts. Either one is a good hunt( though lower success rates on early hunts). I've hunted both and have not been dissatisfied. The elk are there in either unit. Put in your homework in either, and you will be happy. Compared to 16d though, numbers are considerably lower.

LAST EDITED ON Feb-17-16 AT 10:28AM (MST)[p]I have no experience with 16c, but I liked 16e a lot because I saw nice bulls there and it was easy to draw. Not much cover to get within bow range, but it made for a fun and exciting hunt, and I always enjoy a ten-mile hike. But last year I noticed a significant drop in the numbers of elk, and the outfitter that I talked with noticed the same thing. It was later during the deer season that I saw that wolves had moved into the area. Maybe one year is an anomaly, but for whatever reason the elk were moved out of the same places that I had located them for several previous years.

16e had a poor monsoon season last year in places too. Elk will move for feed. And it is a bear when it does rain with little access roads in bad shape, in good weather. I know one road that just dissapeared after a bad season and is overgrown.

So far what you guys are saying is mirroring what I've heard about 16E before in that there are quality bulls to be had if you can find them but with the roads and spread out nature of the elk, it can be very difficult. I don't really mind difficult but I'm trying to ensure that the wife will have a good experience regardless of what unit we draw in NM.

I'd probably stick with 16c , especially if my wife was coming . More elk,less headache .The roads in E suck even when the weather is good,and the past four Septembers have spot rain like crazy. I've seen trains of trucks stuck all together up to the doors,and I was just passing through .The wolves are there now and it impacting the hunt quality as well. Good luck

C is widely regarded as the better area, the draw odds reflect this. I have rifle hunted D & E and would definitely pick C for archery, all other things being equal.

Again, I don't know anything about 16c, but I would concur with those that are saying that 16e is probably not the best choice for a wife's overall hunt experience (hope this doesn't come across as being too sexist...)

Not at all Mozey...she's tough and hunted hard with me for 3 days in 16D last year but we were into elk the entire time. Saying it might not be enjoyable is fine. It's a big reason I'm getting other opinions. I want her to continue enjoying elk hunting.

Logan, I would have to say that for me, E is the better choice. I have been very successful in E, and I love the remoteness of the unit. I don't let access be an issue when I am applying for hunts, i have found that if you work hard and put in the extra mile, especially in E, you can have elk all to yourself. use the remoteness as an advantage in your favor!

I've hunted C as well. The roads aren't just great there either but doable. Can you not use an ATV to access these rough roads in E?

That's kinda what I was thinkin. Take an Atv as far as u can or need and camp from there. I wouldn't try and go and come everyday. I did this last yr in AZ and it worked great. Everyone was driving 3-4 hrs a day on atvs just to get back and forth and they never really got to hunt or get into where the elk were. So I say get in there and stay with em!

That's the whole point with 16E: much of the unit is only State land, on which no camping is allowed. So one has to drive in/out every day.

I've never hunted 16E, but it's my understanding that the road that accesses the State area is a real kidney buster.

Twice a day, every day...no thanks

Yea I've heard the road in is "real nice". No thank you for doing that everyday twice a day! Kinda crazy u can't camp on state land? But it is what it is

Well, now that it has been said I will confirm that the road into the state land will jar the fillings loose in your teeth.

I will give you one more opinion. I've hunted archery in C several times. It is a very difficult hunt, potentially not getting a shot opportunity an entire hunt. The harvest success reflects my opinion, not just making it up. I wouldn't hunt there again. Never hunted e.

E is a pain in the but to access the good spots on BLM are miles back in there. I camped 6 miles in last year and only came across one other hunter and on the way out I found a huge outfitter camp that obviously has access so I'm jealous they get to camp right in the mix. We came out with a good 6 point but 16E is not for the faint of heart. It will test your limits due to being able to see quality animals in the wide open and there is no way to get them with a stick and string. We tagged one and ate one tag due to being so warm out after packing out our bull and the lack of water back in those parts. I'd recommend not hunting close to D either since you will be sitting in coyote peak glassing 380" Bulls across the road as well. It'll take the wind right out of your sails

Thanks...I decided on E for my 3rd choice. We'll see what happens.

>E is a pain in the
>but to access the good
>spots on BLM are miles
>back in there. I camped
>6 miles in last year
>and only came across one
>other hunter and on the
>way out I found a
>huge outfitter camp that obviously
>has access so I'm jealous
>they get to camp right
>in the mix. We came
>out with a good 6
>point but 16E is not
>for the faint of heart.
>It will test your limits
>due to being able to
>see quality animals in the
>wide open and there is
>no way to get them
>with a stick and string.
>We tagged one and ate
>one tag due to being
>so warm out after packing
>out our bull and the
>lack of water back in
>those parts. I'd recommend not
>hunting close to D either
>since you will be sitting
>in coyote peak glassing 380"
>Bulls across the road as
>well. It'll take the wind
>right out of your sails
>

>Thanks...I decided on E for my
>3rd choice. We'll see
>what happens.
>
>>E is a pain in the
>>but to access the good
>>spots on BLM are miles
>>back in there. I camped
>>6 miles in last year
>>and only came across one
>>other hunter and on the
>>way out I found a
>>huge outfitter camp that obviously
>>has access so I'm jealous
>>they get to camp right
>>in the mix. We came
>>out with a good 6
>>point but 16E is not
>>for the faint of heart.
>>It will test your limits
>>due to being able to
>>see quality animals in the
>>wide open and there is
>>no way to get them
>>with a stick and string.
>>We tagged one and ate
>>one tag due to being
>>so warm out after packing
>>out our bull and the
>>lack of water back in
>>those parts. I'd recommend not
>>hunting close to D either
>>since you will be sitting
>>in coyote peak glassing 380"
>>Bulls across the road as
>>well. It'll take the wind
>>right out of your sails
>>
So did u try the archery or gun hunt? Just curious

I would take E over C every day.
Be mindful of the rocky terrain should you draw. Your boot choice will be important.

Archery

>>Thanks...I decided on E for my
>>3rd choice. We'll see
>>what happens.
>>
>>>E is a pain in the
>>>but to access the good
>>>spots on BLM are miles
>>>back in there. I camped
>>>6 miles in last year
>>>and only came across one
>>>other hunter and on the
>>>way out I found a
>>>huge outfitter camp that obviously
>>>has access so I'm jealous
>>>they get to camp right
>>>in the mix. We came
>>>out with a good 6
>>>point but 16E is not
>>>for the faint of heart.
>>>It will test your limits
>>>due to being able to
>>>see quality animals in the
>>>wide open and there is
>>>no way to get them
>>>with a stick and string.
>>>We tagged one and ate
>>>one tag due to being
>>>so warm out after packing
>>>out our bull and the
>>>lack of water back in
>>>those parts. I'd recommend not
>>>hunting close to D either
>>>since you will be sitting
>>>in coyote peak glassing 380"
>>>Bulls across the road as
>>>well. It'll take the wind
>>>right out of your sails
>>>
>So did u try the archery
>or gun hunt? Just curious
>

Thanks for the boot advice. Already have some that handled bighorn and Barbary hunting so I feel good about them.

>I would take E over C
>every day.
> Be mindful of the rocky
>terrain should you draw. Your
>boot choice will be important.
>

When you hunt 16E you go in and stay in,your asking for problems driving back and forth, if you can pack in 5 days worth of supplies and camp up top on Pelona you will have a great hunt most years.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom