16d

patea

LAST EDITED ON Apr-27-16 AT 02:17PM (MST)[p]my 65 year old dad and i drew 16d archery tags sept1-14th have never hunted that unit but was wondering how it compares to 15 as i hunted there once. will we hear bugling that early and could he sit over water and have reasonable success.hes not a trophy hunter so what size should he shoot. I'm mostly along just to see him kill one cause he won't be around forever(but i wouldn't mine filling my tag to). thanks preston i forgot to ask is the hunting better toward the 14th or does it matter

Its the GILA and possibly the best unit in the State. Congrats on a great tag. Find good water off the beaten path and sit it in afternoons till dark and you both will Kill a bull and most likely if you pass a few a good one. They will be bugling for sure towards the end of hunt. This is a super tag hunt the whole season if possible and enjoy it. I suggest building natural blinds near water and not bothering with double bull styles. Make sure you bring a good packable chair so you can be mobile.

Congrats on a great tag. Labby1 is right. It's the gila and you will have an awesome hunt. The roads are rough and it can be pretty cool and rainy. If it's hot, sit the tanks. I was just in 16d a couple of weeks ago. Such a cool place. good luck

Big bull unit of N.m. 15 can't lift a finger to 16d any more . I'd love to share that hunt with my dad. Congrats on an awesome hunt buddy.

The later the better on this hunt as far as the elk being vocal. If it's dry and warm, water is good, but in some spots you might be better off trying to catching them going to and from the water source as they often water at night.

A 325"+ bull is quite common to encounter in this unit, but personally I would never pass up a 350" bull on this hunt.

Congrats on the great tag! I hunted this unit but second archery last year, tagged out on 9/16. My friend hunted 5 days total, had to stop hunting due to running out of arrows! He missed 3 times and had a non-fatal hit on the 4th bull he flung arrows at. He shot at 3 of them over water, and 1 was called in. That don't count the 4 other bulls that we called in and could never get a shot at. All these bulls ranged from good sized 5x5's to the biggest being in the 370" range. A Great hunt and great unit, I would love to give some direction as to where to hunt, however, my wife has drew the same tag!!! We will be down there doing it all over again. I echo what labby1 said, find a good water hole and you will be sure to harvest a good size bull, but would probably suggest not passing anything bigger than 325". Good Luck to you guy!!!

>Sounds like your buddy should have
>practiced.

Sometimes its just bull fever... Seen some of the best archers come unglued in the moment of truth due to nerves.

To your point I see tons of people that draw hunts like this buy bow for their bow a week before a 16A archery hunt and asking if the unit is good... Its inevitable.. Have to bite my lip.

your in for a great hunt op!

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom