16E access

T

TodaysTomSawyer

Looking at my map of the blm covering the Pelona mountain area and the state trust land around the Luera mountain, it looks to me that much of the access to these 2 locations could be a problem due to being land locked. Can anyone familiar with this unit give me any insight on the accessibility to these areas. Many thanks.

access is limited but can be done. you have to watch for wilderness study areas when camping and traveling. ma,esure your in shape to pack out a long way

I spent several hours per day on the pc and emails for over a month getting it figured out before I applied. Get some boots that won't give you blisters cause your gunna walk.

LOL WapitiBob,
You spend enough time trying to figure access and game quantity location, you dam sure don't want to give it away.

Btw...I spent good time & money figuring out the units I hunt.

OP: Call Tommy Maldonado @ www.gilawildernesshunting.com
He is the man for those units!

>access is limited but can be
>done. you have to watch
>for wilderness study areas when
>camping and traveling. ma,esure your
>in shape to pack out
>a long way

Yea this is going to be a tough hunt alright, that's fine. I see only a few access points into the Pelona from the West. Luera peak, lot of private roadblocks from what I can tell. I got to get on the horn and talk to the controlling agencies for that area. Bowelk, 1st season.

75616e.jpg

2017bulls.jpg

3820waterhole.jpg

16E pic's...elk always around waterhole....Good luck

LAST EDITED ON May-10-14 AT 11:11AM (MST)[p]>Looking at my map of the
>blm covering the Pelona mountain
>area and the state trust
>land around the Luera mountain,
>it looks to me that
>much of the access to
>these 2 locations could be
>a problem due to being
>land locked. Can anyone
>familiar with this unit give
>me any insight on the
>accessibility to these areas. Many
>thanks.

When we hunted there in 2009, it wasn't much of problem for us to get back to Luera Peak from the east. I would suggest not taking a truck on the road in there. That road is extremely rough and was much easier to handle on ATV. Pelona Mtn had a lot of folks around it so we did one loop through there and avoided it the rest of the time, plus it was a maze to get back to the farthest parts from the east. We hunted the 2nd bow season and saw quite a few elk but not in the spots you would expect. Don't overlook the lower spots. The fella below shot this 332" bull that year in a spot that was mostly overlooked. While I didn't personally get anything, I had some good stalks, close calls and saw a lot of elk with a few bulls in the 300-350" range. If you need advice just shoot me a message.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom