16E Muzzy elk!

BRUIN4L

Hi Guys. I am helping the luckiest guy I know on his 16E muzzy elk Oct 17. He is non res and its his third tag! His first 2 were unit 15. Looking for any insight on this hunt we can get. It will be DIY. I helped him in 15 also and he had 2nd muzzy and we had vocal bulls and was wondering if anyone has hunted this 16E hunt and what their experience was. Again any tips on this hunt will help.

>Lol. Sounds like he'll be hunting
>in hell!
That's farther south....LOL.
It's a great place,but access and ease it is not.
There are some big bulls in there.

I hunted it a few years back. We hunted the southern/south western part of it. Where we hunted it was hard to tell if we were going thru private or ???? (went thru some fences to pass thru) A quad is helpfull but you'll end up doing allot of walking. If you have horses they are well worth it to take. Quite hilly and dry. I was there for 5 days and saw bulls almost every day. It was one of my choices this year but with a rifle. I leaned my lesson last time. Most of the bulls were at 300+ yards and I don't want to shoot that far with my muzzy. There are ponds there and the elk will use them. (when ?) Roads getting there are fine but roads going in deep are not. My quad got me where I needed to get then legs took over. I hope to get this tag one of these days. Bets of luck.

Speaking of getting stuck. Two years ago we were hunting on the way to help a couple of guys get out from being stuck we ran into another guy that was stuck. My buddy got stuck....so now that made four trucks that were stuck. I lent the guys my truck to go into Socorro to get some help. After three days of digging all four trucks with the help of those guys friends that they called in from ABQ they ended up getting all the trucks out. It was a rough hunt for the guys that got stuck. Met a few good guys from this fiasco at least.

16E is no joke I'm pretty sure I was apart of that 4-5 truck fiasco. I drew first archery in E this year I've started prepping already. Truck now has a winch and 2 90 feet straps haha. Looking forward to the hunt and hopefully to whack a giant.

439image.jpg

5674image.jpg

We killed a couple of cows there several years ago. The areas we hunted were the easiest elk terrain I have ever hunted. Very little elevation and we saw lots of elk all day every day. I have never hunted it except the one time in December but we routinely see elk on the VLA road near the SE corner of the unit if we take that way to turkey hunt in April or September. This is all flat and open if you've never been there. I know guys that hunt really tough terrain in there but I don't think you have to.

Cory

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom