17" Texas Goat

HornedToad

I was fortunate this year and drew a pronghorn tag on the Rita Blanca National Grassland hunt in the northwest Panhandle of Texas.

This area is not particularly known for big goats, but I found a nice one. He measures 17-3/8" on each horn with 6-3/8" bases. He has a freak 2nd prong on his left horn, which probably reduced the size of his measurable prong, lowering his total score. He still should net over 80, which is big for the Texas Panhandle.

I found this goat while scouting two days before the season opened this past Saturday. Despite the reputation for average 13"-14" goats in the area, I also found two "back-ups" in the 15"-16" range. This part of Texas has received plenty of moisture this year, which may explain the quality of the pronghorns I saw on this trip.

On the hunt, I began my stalk at about 1200 yards. I had closed the distance to 350 yards when he "busted" me, but he could only see a part of my head, so he probably did not know what I was. He began trotting to my right, and I thought about taking the shot because I was steady on a bipod and had practiced shooting to 400 yards. There was a stiff sidewind, however, so I held off, when suddenly he must have gotten too curious for his own good, and began trotting in my direction, closing the distance to 250 yards. I couldn't believe my luck. He stopped facing directly toward me, but I held steady, and with a slight allowance for the breeze, put him down with one shot.

This was a cool "do-it-yourself" hunt. I particularly like the wicked "forward thrust" of his horns... and only picked up a few cactus thorns in my hands from the crawl.

4701356605ad6de4.jpg

47013e3c35fc0a20.jpg

Thats a GREAT goat bud! What a stud! I have always wanted to kill an antelope like that. Give me a shout sometime, lets hook up in SLC if you go this year...

Drummond

CONGRATS, THAT BUCK IS BEAUTIFUL! Man you drew that , theres not too many tags anyways, you did just right. Again congrats on a truely beautiful buck and thanks for sharing the hunt, he will look great on the wall...Larry

LAST EDITED ON Oct-06-07 AT 09:46PM (MST)[p]

Officially scored today (green) for TBGA at 84-5/8" gross.

This should be one of the top goats taken this year in Texas (it would have been No. 2 gross last year) unless these is a big step-up in quality related to increased moisture over this past year.

Horns are non-symetrical, but are expected to net (60-day dry) over 82".

HT

Great pronghorn! How'd you get the pictures so large on here? I can't get them to upload at a fraction of the size most of the time.

Regarding the finished size of the photos - the key is to "compress" the photo below the 300KB requirement of the MM webserver while retaining the same size of the photo. I'm not a "tech" guy, but here is the process I followed:

1. Save photo to a jpeg file in Windows "My Pictures",

2. Open the photo, and click on "Edit Pictures",

3. Click on "Resize",

4. Click on "Compress",

5. Click on "Documents".

This process should compress the file below 300KB while retaining pixel size of the original. The compressed photo is supposedly not suitable for print publication, but seems more than acceptable for website postings.

6. Save compressed photo under new file name.

7. On MM, open new message window,

8. Click on "Click here to upload your photo",

9. Click on "Browse",

10. Locate your compressed file in your My Pictures folder, and click on "upload file",

11. This process should give you a jpg file address of the uploaded file. Copy this address into your message,

12. Click "post message".

I've redone this process with a photo of my "backup" buck from last weekend, shot through my spotting scope. Here goes:

4708d3ab58c75a1d.jpg

HT

Man, what a goat and that last picture is a beauty, thanks for the blood rush.

bb

I just spoke with one of the other public hunters on the Rita Blanca National Grasslands this year who I had directed to the area of my "Back-up" buck after I had killed my 84-5/8 gross goat.

He said that his buck has been scored at 85-3/8 gross! (I'll try to get a photo to post.)

There were some big pronghorns on the Rita Blanca this year. It will be interesting to see what else comes out of the Texas Panhandle, given the unusually high levels of moisture over the past Spring and Summer.

Great buck Toad. Mass, length, and character beyond belief. Can't do much to top that one.

Congrats!

"Hunt when you can - You're gonna' run out of health before you run out of money!"

Man,

I guess you know what the odds were of drawing
Rita Blanca. Loooonnnnnggg.

Congratulations. I've put in for that tag for years
and will never draw it. You did good.

larry

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom