171-173 Archery Versus 161-164 Archery Habitat/Draw Odds

WyMont

Does any one have insight as to why the archery draw odds are significantly better for 171-173 than 161-164? The high elevation habitat looks very similar and both units are comprised of linear basin and range mountains. Rifle tag numbers are similar.

Based on Google Earth, 171-173 actually looks like more fun archery hunting. Just curious why it would be such better odds than 161-164?

Google Earth is deceiving.

Take a week and go hike around the Toiyabes. Then go to Table Mountain. It will become clear.

I hunted 17 late with my dad last year and the deer numbers are defiantly not what they were the three years we hunted it before and Everything I heard from people that hunted it earlier said it was tuff to find anything but forks.

That's all you needed to say. Thank you. There's always a reason. Do the Toiyabes not have the deer or the deer quality?

I have hunted both. I think there are probably more deer in 16, but there are some smoker bucks in 17. 17 is an area that takes some work to find good bucks but trust me they are there. 16 has more water and aspens than 17, so the deer are a little more concentrated in my opinion. Both units have a lot of deer and a lot of tags. I have also seen the horse population grow in both areas over the last couple of years and I think that always influences the deer and elk populations. Bottom line is both units is you won't see quality bucks from the road. You get a few miles in in either zone and you will kill a good buck.

I hunted 17 in 2015. Got a nice buck. Saw many animals 3 to 4 miles away from roads. Quite a few Chukar too.

I want to go back and hunt the Shoshones.

I'm in for 161-164 archery. Let's see if three points will do it. It's the only hunt I have a realistic chance of. Never hunted it before but have had it on my apps for years.

Agreed you wont see anything from the road other than other hunters. Most people won't go over a mile or two in. I drug my wife about 3 miles in for her little 3x3 last season. But seen awesome deer 2-5 miles in on my hunt. Deer numbers are definitely down in 17! Get off the road and into the deepest darkest draws and you will find you a worthy buck. Good luck on your draw!

If I draw out, I plan to take horses in and hunt from a base camp.

As we enter ?draw week?, it's all I've been thinking about. This is my first year of the elk waiting period. It's all about the mule deer this year, or at least I hope it is.

Question, is the archery hunting pressure anything to really worry about? I think there is 250-300 total tags.

>Does any one have insight as
>to why the archery draw
>odds are significantly better for
>171-173 than 161-164? The
>high elevation habitat looks very
>similar and both units are
>comprised of linear basin and
>range mountains. Rifle tag
>numbers are similar.
>
>Based on Google Earth, 171-173 actually
>looks like more fun archery
>hunting. Just curious why
>it would be such better
>odds than 161-164?

Hey guys new to this forum got a early archery mule deer tag in area 161-164 looking for some help???

Nevada Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Big Bucks & Bulls Timberline Outfitters Guide Service

Customized and high quality eastern Nevada trophy hunts for mule deer, elk and antelope.

Western Wildlife Adventures

We offer some excellent mule deer and elk hunts in northeast Nevada.

Currant Creek Outfitters

Nevada, big bucks and big bulls! We hunt for quality not quantity.

Nevada Outfitters & Guides Association

Find guides and outfitters for mule deer, elk, sheep, chuckar, fishing, & more!

SilverGrand Outfitters

Successfully guiding in Nevada for many years. Mule deer, elk, antelope and bighorn sheep hunts.

Hidden Lake Outfitters

Specializing in trophy mule deer hunts along with elk, mountain goat, antelope and mountain lion.

G&J Outdoors

Full time outfitter with 20+ years hunting mule deer, sheep, elk, antelope, lion and chukar.

Mountain Man Outfitters

Offering world class mule deer hunts in some of the most productive units in Nevada.

Nevada High Desert Outfitters

Rocky mountain goats, desert, rocky and california bighorn, mule deer, antelope and elk hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

If you want an unguided hunt but can't draw your tags, you need to call us.

White River Guide Service

50 years of guiding experience! Mule deer, elk, sheep and cougar.

Back
Top Bottom