17A

Wiszard

Long Time Member
I've never hunted AZ and was thinking about heading out to 17A with my bow the second week in January. Can anyone give me some insight on what kind of weather I can expect and if a pop up trailer is sufficient to camp in. Also, are the deer numbers decent? I'm not figuring on shooting anything but if I can put a good stalk on one or two, that would be a bonus. Any info is greatly appreciated.

Steve
Derkha derkha Muhammed jihad hakha sherpha sherpha abakhala- Gary of Team America World Police

LAST EDITED ON Oct-10-11 AT 02:42PM (MST)[p]

can't go wrong with camp woods/walnut creek area -- anyplace in the island in and arounfd fs rd 95- 95a - 95b should present shot opportunities.

plenty of places to camp-by camp woods in the pines- pop-up perfect -- it can be rainy and cold weather but bring heater and right attire -ya be ok---- do not be surprised to see elk !!
get a good map - good luck

LAST EDITED ON Oct-10-11 AT 02:50PM (MST)[p]It's a great unit for smaller bucks with the opportunity for the occasional giant. It has declined some in the last few years but there are still a bunch of deer.

You still have time to apply for a pig tag. There are spots that have a really good number of pigs.

And it is at the 5500-7200 foot elevation and can get cold and wet. Be prepared for it.

Thanks guys.....I wasn't aware that javelina tags are only by draw? No OTC tags? Whens the deadline? Thanks.

Steve
Derkha derkha Muhammed jihad hakha sherpha sherpha abakhala- Gary of Team America World Police

Thanks guys. I appreciate the info.

Steve

Try the north end of unit just south of the headquarters or around Happy Camp, New Water or Deep Well. Look on a Prescott National Forest map. You can access all 4 areas off of Roads 1 and/or 2, south of the headquarters off the Williamson Valley Road. Headquarters is about 15 miles south of the town of Seligman on the Williamson Valley Road.

Thanks aztap....I will look into it. Take care.

Steve

Arizona Hunting Guides & Outfitters

SilverGrand Outfitters

Offering mule deer, elk, antelope, bighorn sheep, javelina, and turkey hunts in Nevada and Arizona.

Arizona Elk Outfitters

Offering the serious hunter a chance to hunt trophy animals in the great Southwest.

A3 Trophy Hunts

An Arizona Outfitter specializing in the harvest of World Class big game of all species.

Arizona Strip Guides

Highly experienced and highly dedicated team of hardworking professional Arizona Strip mule deer guides.

Urge 2 Hunt

THE premier hunts in Arizona for trophy elk, mule deer, couse deer and javelina.

Shadow Valley Outfitters

AZ Strip and Kaibab mule deer, big bulls during the rut, spot-n-stalk pronghorn and coues deer hunts.

Back
Top Bottom